Queen Elizabeth II - Brooches 2: Nov 2009-Dec 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Artemisia, are you going to publish your database? I would buy a copy!!
That's very kind of you but I'm pretty sure I'd land into serious legal (copyright) issues had I done so. :)
However, I do plan to share my database of British (and other) royal jewellery on the blog I'm currently working on. For free, of course.

That's John of Gaunt Arms Brooch. I've attached the best close-up I have.
Incidentally, I've also located the Mythical Sea Creature Brooch, which the Queen wore for Prince Philip's 90th birthday dinner back in 2011.

- The John of Gaunt Arms Brooch (featuring a lion, gold feathers - a combination of the Arms of England, France and, presumably, Castile).
- The Mythical Sea Creature Brooch (
a mythical sea creature wearing a gold crown, covered in pavé-set diamonds and with cabochon ruby eyes)

Cropped from larger images and consist of less than 20% of the originals.

Attachments

• John of Gaunt Arms Brooch.jpg
    John of Gaunt Arms Brooch.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 558
  • Mythical Sea Creature Brooch.jpg
    Mythical Sea Creature Brooch.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 566
Last edited:
You rock!! I like the sea creature - I wish we could see it better! I've made a decision today that I'm going to start wearing brooches :)

The mythical sea creature is actually The Fishmongers Guild Badge. The Queen wore this badge in 2011 to the Fishmongers Hall, as did Princess Anne to the same event.

I am most interested to find out why you think this badge is John of Gaunts Arms. Do you have a picture of his arms?
The Queen is called The Duke of Lancaster in her own right, and the Duchy of Lancaster is hers also.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sorry if I confused you - I thought the John of Gaunt Brooch was called the Lancaster Brooch - but I've corrected it on my board. I had never seen the Mythical Sea Creature Brooch which I now think you are saying is really the Fishmongers Guild Badge. Is that correct?

That's why I love researching the brooches - I get to find out about all kinds of cool things, like the Queen being the Duke of Lancaster!!

Also, I've decided that I love baroque pearls and any brooches they are part of!

Last edited:
This is The Fishmongers Guild arms.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/3/34/Fishmongers-arms.gif/200px-Fishmongers-arms.gif
The Mythical Sea Creature Brooch isn't their badge.

63845c9aacacda80d9397adac75ec90b9e81c0136579382.jpg
31538f8f1463666ab2b858831d0be8509e81c0136579382.jpg

It looks more like a gift from Fishmongers Guild, not their badge (IMHO). But Princess Anne always wears this brooch for Fishmongers Guild's engagement.

I'm sorry if I confused you - I thought the John of Gaunt Brooch was called the Lancaster Brooch - but I've corrected it on my board. I had never seen the Mythical Sea Creature Brooch which I now think you are saying is really the Fishmongers Guild Badge. Is that correct?

That's why I love researching the brooches - I get to find out about all kinds of cool things, like the Queen being the Duke of Lancaster!!

Also, I've decided that I love baroque pearls and any brooches they are part of!

I'm game for any jewellery, especially with diamonds and/or emeralds.
On the other hand if a jewel has (insert a precious or semi-precious stone here) or pearls in it, I love it anyway. ;)

As Spheno pointed out, The Fishmongers Guild Arms badge is definitely not the same one as the Mythical Sea Creature Brooch; the latter was, as far as I have been able to find out, a relatively recent (2009 to 2011) gift to the Queen.

Last edited:
This emerald brooch is absolutely exquisite! Love the stunning rose design. It was a gift from the Ladies of India to Queen Mary for the Delhi Durbar in 1911.

This emerald brooch is absolutely exquisite! Love the stunning rose design. It was a gift from the Ladies of India to Queen Mary for the Delhi Durbar in 1911.

I don't really care for engraved gems, but I just love that diamond border; the piece looks like intaglio where the design is incised into the gem.

Last edited:
The Williamson Diamond?

I guess this emerald's value is very high, but I do not like it. I even think it is a little bit ugly. I prefer the non-engraved, sparkly ones.

Calling on all brooch experts.

Is the "brooch" in her hat real or is it just for fun? The Queen Mother used to wear brooches on her hat so I wondered if the Queen had done the same

Calling on all brooch experts.

Is the "brooch" in her hat real or is it just for fun? The Queen Mother used to wear brooches on her hat so I wondered if the Queen had done the same

It's not a brooch, just a detail of the hat. :)
I've attached a close-up for better view.

Image cropped from a larger one and constitutes less than 20% of the original.

Attachments

• Queen+Elizabeth+II+Amir+Kuwait+State+Visit+Sg73FAKdlcDx.jpg
    Queen+Elizabeth+II+Amir+Kuwait+State+Visit+Sg73FAKdlcDx.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 360
:previous:

Thank you - in the pix I saw the whole item seemed shiny and looked like jewellery. I think it would have been lovely to have used a brooch instead - we would have had 2 for the price of 1, so to speak!

The brooch worked great with that outfit. She has worn it before with colors that did nothing for the pink of the stone. This one really make the pink pop.

I love it. This piece looks so whimsical to me :D.

I love it. This piece looks so whimsical to me :D.

Camilla LOVES bug pins - she wears the walking stick brooch and she even wore that odd fishing fly brooch given to the queen a while back. (I'll see if I can locate it in my hoard). Maybe loan it to the DO Cornwall?

:previous:

The Duchess of Cornwall has her own lovely butterfly brooch though so not any time soon. ;)

It doesn't seem right to me, either. It's almost like she's under dressed.

The brooch is probably pinned to her dress or she probably decided not to wear one. I must say though, The Queen is always so put together. I like the color on her.

I think The Queen made a good decision here by not wearing a brooch. The faux-fur on the collar and cuffs on the coat are "rich" and chique enough. This outfit was first worn some years ago at Royal Maundy. The Queen has made other "changes" to brooch-wear over the past years; remember that she wore no brooch at The Duke of York's wedding in 1986 due to the fact that she wore a double-strand pearl necklace of which she turned the back clasp (with pearl) to the left side front, and so it would be too much to wear a brooch on her lapel. Years ago, she choose to wear her brooch to her right side instead of the left side, because the cut of her jacket would make it heavy to wear it there. So I think the Queen really "decides" whether a jewel is appropriate on the outfit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom