Queen Elizabeth II - Brooches 2: Nov 2009-Dec 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:previous: That is a very pretty brooch, however, I can't tell if the one she's wearing is the same or not.

Hmm - not sure - it seems a bit wide at the top to be that one. I tried to find a good picture but haven't been able to get one that is clear enough to give a good idea of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
:previous:

Haven't seen that one before either.
It looks like quite like one of the Queen's Rose Brooches (with rubies and diamonds) but in a slightly different design. Lovely though.

This is a very pretty piece of jewelry. I've never seen it before. Thank you for sharing.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Rose Gold brooch is lovely. I am not a big fan of rose gold, but this is well done.

Interesting fact to come out of the new book by the Queen's dresser,

"The dressmaker reveals that the Queen was “very specific” about the evening gown she wanted to wear for a state banquet in Dublin in May last year, which featured more than 2,000 silk shamrocks especially designed and sewn on by hand as well as an Irish harp design made of crystals."

So the Irish Harp design on that gown was not a brooch, but an applique. Problem solved!

Further reading: Secrets behind Queen's James Bond outfit revealed - Telegraph

A peek inside one's wardrobe: The Queen's dresser reveals Her Maj's style secrets | Mail Online

anyone seen the interesting spread of brooches in the Angela Kelly "Dressing the Queen"...? Couple there I don't recognise...

anyone seen the interesting spread of brooches in the Angela Kelly "Dressing the Queen"...? Couple there I don't recognise...
Could you share the pictures of those brooches with us? I'd love to see new ones, or possibly even identify them in team effort. :)

From Her Majesty's Jewel Vault: Queen Victoria's 11 Pearl Brooch

This brooch is stunning! Love the size of those pearls and the beautiful diamond setting.

I've always loved Queen Victoria's Pearl Brooch.
It's a bit puzzling why the Queen hasn't worn it more often because she is generally fond of pearl brooches, and this one is very pretty too.

Last edited:
how many brooches do you have in your datebase now?

how many brooches do you have in your datebase now?

I'm afraid I've been busy with other things so I'm a bit behind with my data. Hoping to catch up soon, but there may be a couple of the recent newies that I haven't counted yet. I'm standing at 138 just now....

QUOTE: I've always loved Queen Victoria's Pearl Brooch.
It's a bit puzzling why the Queen hasn't worn it more often because she is generally fond of pearl brooches, and this one is very pretty too.

I'm guessing that it is heavy. It is large, the gold is substantial and those pearls weigh a bit too. They probably have to pillow the garment behind the pin for her to wear it.

Oh, yum, that pearl brooch is just sensational.

I haven't seen anything in Angela Kelly's new book about making the Queen's clothes to suggest any kind of extra reinforcement in the clothes for that purpose. I feel that with quality fabrics and all the dresses being couture and lined, then there is no need for extra padding of any kind. It does say HM attached the brooch herself which could be less easy if there were multiple layers -they always look perfect so I think it's just down to pure quality of materials.

There are a number of brooches in the collection which are equally as large if not larger than this one.
:flowers:

I'm afraid I've been busy with other things so I'm a bit behind with my data. Hoping to catch up soon, but there may be a couple of the recent newies that I haven't counted yet. I'm standing at 138 just now....
Thanks! ........

I read somewhere that modifications needed to be made for the large brooches. The chips, etc.

I read somewhere that modifications needed to be made for the large brooches. The chips, etc.

People talk about the Cullinan III & IV (Granny's Chips) being heavy, but if you work out the carats (total 158) at one fifth of a gram per carat, those huge stones weigh only 31.6 grams which is really not that much. It also has a quite delicate frame.

I'd imagine that many of our very modest faux brooches weight more than that, so I'm pretty sure that the couture construction of any of HMs outfits would be quite robust enough, even without extra reinforcement or padding of any kind.

With the last 5 unidentified brooches from Angela Kelly.s book, my total has reached 200.
Badges 54 with many still to be identified.
Lovely to see so many new royal brooches.

A new amazing mystery from The Queen
From Her Majesty's Jewel Vault: Audience at Buckingham Palace

_Bouquet.jpg

Is it new or old?

Last edited:
Does anybody know something about this brooch?
English Rose Brooch
rose1.jpg
rose1a.jpg

from Queen Elizabeth II's Brooches

The brooch in your photo is the HMS Vanguard brooch. Gift from Messrs John Brown (Shipping) on the launching of HMS Vanguard, 1944
broochHMSVanguard.jpg

Antique Diamond set design of a wild rose flower with three leaves on a sprig tied with a tiny bow at the bottom

Last edited:
GillW, thank you
I hope one day HM will pin this brooch again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom