Queen Elizabeth II - Brooches 2: Nov 2009-Dec 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm guessing we will see this parure on Camilla & Catherine someday.

It is said Prince Charles is very fond of this parure and amethysts in general, so we'll probably see Camilla wearing the Kent amethyst jewels in future.

The Queen doesn't really wear the Kent demi-parure all that often. In fact, the only occasion I know of when she wore most of the elements of the parure was on March 26, 1985, during her official visit to Portugal. Since then, she has mostly worn only one of the brooches, with and without pendant drops (usually, without).

- The Queen wearing Kent demi-parure in 1985 (picture 1)
- The Queen wearing Kent demi-parure in 1985 (picture 2)
- The Queen wearing Kent demi-parure in 1985 (picture 3)
- The Queen wearing Kent demi-parure in 1985 (earrings)

Cropped from larger images and constitute less than 20% of the original.

Thank you both for the links and pictures. I love amethyst. I think they will look great on Camilla. If Catherine wears any part of the parure, I think she should be in lavender or a light shade of pink and not a darker color.

udyusa said:
Goodness, but it almost takes my breath away pinned on that lovely colored suit HM is wearing!

My sentiments exactly.

I would like to see Catherine in the hair combs. Soon.

I would like to see Catherine in the hair combs. Soon.

I'd prefer a TIARA - but good idea! What is current protocol on use of diamond and amethyst hair combs? Only after 5 pm? Only at state occasions? If one only wore one, would it be ok for an afternoon event, like a tea party?

Is there a forum for royal jewel protocol?

I'd prefer a TIARA - but good idea! What is current protocol on use of diamond and amethyst hair combs? Only after 5 pm? Only at state occasions? If one only wore one, would it be ok for an afternoon event, like a tea party?

Is there a forum for royal jewel protocol?

This is something that I would like to know as well. I don't think there are any photos of them (otherwise, I'm sure Order of Splendor would have included them in that article linked above), but given the age of this parure I wouldn't be surprised if they were rather large.

Kent Amethyst hair combs have never actually been seen.
We know they exist (or existed) but they have never been on a public occasion.

There is no protocol on wearing hair combs; since they are fairly "dressy" pieces (diamonds + amethysts), one would expect them to be worn on evening engagements, when hair ornaments are appropriate. However, I'd say the occasions to wear them are far more often than, say, a tiara. It's just no one really does wear hair combs in our times, do they?

The swedish royal ladies wear beautiful hair combs for evening occasions (for example, there are 2 beautiful diamond and sapphires haircombs in the Leuchtenberg parure). Usually they wear them when they have their hair up. Maybe Queen Elizabeth has never worn them because she has shorter hair and always the same hairstyle.

The swedish royal ladies wear beautiful hair combs for evening occasions (for example, there are 2 beautiful diamond and sapphires haircombs in the Leuchtenberg parure). Usually they wear them when they have their hair up. Maybe Queen Elizabeth has never worn them because she has shorter hair and always the same hairstyle.

I thought they were hairpins:confused:

QEII doesn't seem to favor amethysts in general, so it may be more than just hairstyle.

Yes you are right, those in the Leuchtemberg parure hare hairpins, not haircombs, sorry for my bad english!
What I meant is that the swedish ladies have worn hairpins, haircombs and even brooches in their hair.
I think you are right, Queen Elizabeth doesn't favor amethysts, but I think it doesn't depend only on the stone. I'm sure that in her vaults there are many haircombs and hairpins from previous generations that she could wear. Maybe she doesn't like that kind of jewels or they don't go well with her hairstyle.
I think that the only time she has worn something in her hair (excluding tiaras) is when she has worn the ears of wheat brooches.

I think that the only time she has worn something in her hair (excluding tiaras) is when she has worn the ears of wheat brooches.

And blasphemous as it may sound, I though the wheat ear brooches in HMs looked a bit like the devil's horns!

The Queen sometimes wear diamond hair clips.

I know I would love to drool over her jewel box!

Those aquamarine's are indeed stunning!

roseroyal said:
Breath-taking! She does have some rocks, does'nt she?:lol:;)

You and me both. Those clips are simply stunning.

The Queen wore an interesting brooch for today's reception, which personally I had never seen before.
It appears to have a filigree design with 10+ small diamonds across the centre.

Anyone any idea on this brooch? Or have we finally witnessed a genuinely new addition to Her Majesty's collection?
It kind of reminds me of a brooch I've seen of Elizabeth I's portrait; at least, the design is quite similar, although there are marked differences too.

Cropped from larger image and constitutes less than 20% of the original.

Attachments

• Queen+Elizabeth+II+Queen+Elizabeth+II+Honours+gm8hrOf7Edyx2.jpg
    Queen+Elizabeth+II+Queen+Elizabeth+II+Honours+gm8hrOf7Edyx2.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 240
The Queen wore an interesting brooch for today's reception, which personally I had never seen before.
It appears to have a filigree design with 10+ small diamonds across the centre.

Anyone any idea on this brooch? Or have we finally witnessed a genuinely new addition to Her Majesty's collection?
It kind of reminds me of a brooch I've seen of Elizabeth I's portrait; at least, the design is quite similar, although there are marked differences too.

Cropped from larger image and constitutes less than 20% of the original.

All I thought was WOW when I saw this!

Granted I like HM in far more gram weight - but the work on the brooch seems to be exquisite! It is not to my taste - but I am still floored by the detailed work and design. Lovely work. Kudos to whomever - it is new and I like it IMHO.:)

It looks like Queen Elizabeth wore one of the Cullinans todayhttp://imageupper.com/i/?S0200010080021V1351026971162495 - Cullinan V, to be more precise.
While it's not on the same scale as, say, the Granny Chips, it's still a Cullinan, so YEAH!

Picture shared on basis of fair use rule.

This is actually one of her top 10 favourite brooches - and who can blame HM for the choice. Always has been a beautiful creation and probably the best diamond any of may have a chance to see...

It looks like Queen Elizabeth wore one of the Cullinans today - Cullinan V, to be more precise.
While it's not on the same scale as, say, the Granny Chips, it's still a Cullinan, so YEAH!

Picture shared on basis of fair use rule.

Breathtaking brooch!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom