Queen Elizabeth II - Brooches 2: Nov 2009-Dec 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't quite tell what the colored gems are in the center of the flowers, Artemisia. Are they amethysts?
As ldmemail said, the stones in the centre are rubies. The brooch was a gift from people of Australia to the late Queen Mother; Queen Elizabeth inherited it along with most of her mother's jewellery. Incidentally, the Sapphire Grape Brooch was also the Queen Mother's.

I've attached a slightly better picture of the brooch where rubies are more visible.
Cropped from larger image and constitutes less than 20% of the original, courtesy of GillW.

Attachments

• Hibiscuscloseup-1.jpg
    Hibiscuscloseup-1.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 308
Last edited:
I don't recognize it either, Admirer. HM does look lovely today! Thank you for the link.

That's the Queen's Six-Petalled Flower Brooch.
It's actually one of the oldest in her collection; she has owned it for at least 50 years.
The earliest picture of Her Majesty wearing it (that I remember right now) is from 1960's. More recent sightings included Ascot 2007.

There is a single large diamond in the middle, with the six petals containing 3 large diamonds each.

Cropped from larger image and constitutes less than 20% of the original.

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 353
Last edited:
:previous: That Flower Brooch is very stunning!

Very lovely; this is the only flower brooch I've seen that didn't have a stem to it. Thanks for the ID, Artemisia.

You are welcome, Baroness. :)

For today's visit to Hereford and Worcester, the Queen wore her Palm Leaf Brooch.

Before reading Hugh Roberts' The Queen's Diamonds (until I get my own copy, a couple of pages were kindly scanned by a friend), I - along with most jewellery watchers - called this brooch the Paisley Brooch. However, since Roberts clearly sates this brooch from Cartier was meant to look like a palm leaf, I've changed all my records for this piece of jewellery. Still looks more like a paisley to me though.

Attachments

• 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    19.8 KB · Views: 313
Last edited:
So beautiful; I love the curvature that gives it its name.

Last edited:
I can't imagine I will ever think of this as anything other than a Paisley!

Last edited by a moderator:
:previous:
I know, it does so look like a paisley!
Palm Leaf is going to take some time getting used to.

No, sorry, I can't see a palm leaf in that shape brooch except for the curve; it'll stay the Paisley for me!

Last edited:
What a beauty! Thanks for posting, I also only see a paisley.I just love Cartier.

The Flame Lily brooch is one of my (and apparently, the Queen's) favourites.
It's very delicate, eye-catching and goes with virtually every outfit, especially in summer time.

A big picture of the brooch in all its glory.
You can read about the brooch and its history here.

Picture permitted to be shared for non-profit purposes.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 221
Last edited:
Flower brooches are so feminine and always strike me from another era, a very classic pin.

...It's very...eye-catching.
Eye-catching indeed! Maybe it could be renamed "the Medusa brooch". :D

v Flame Lily brooch, detail
(Medusa lurking)
thumbnail cropped from a permitted photograph

Attachments

• Flame Lily.jpg
    Flame Lily.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 243
:previous:
That bit you cropped - I hadn't noticed before but it does look a lot like a Medusa. Or a snake suffering from a very bad hair day. :lol:

Last edited:
Maybe the new challenge can be to find odd "other shapes" in HM's brooches. Too funny and true - Medusa!

Can anyone identify the brooch Queen Elizabeth II wore for yesterday's visit to Leeds?
I had only seen it on one previous occasion - on July 9, 2012.
New brooch alert?

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 371
Last edited:
It looks like the red rose of Lancashire to me, which would be a bit odd to wear on a visit to Leeds which is in Yorkshire. Or maybe it's a red rose with a small white rose in the middle?

...Which would be a Tudor rose, combining Lancaster and Yorkshire....

I wish we had better pictures of this brooch.
To be honest, I'm not even certain it's a rose (or roses) in the first place.
In some pictures the brooch has decidedly spidery design, while in the others, it does look like two roses - a white one (the lower part) and a red one (the upper part).

Last edited:
Can anyone identify the brooch Queen Elizabeth II wore for yesterday's visit to Leeds?
I'm intrigued - what & where was the occasion on 9th July 2012 please? Most unusual for HM to wear such an unusual brooch ontwo occasions so close together, so I'd love the details please.

I'm intrigued - what & where was the occasion on 9th July 2012 please? Most unusual for HM to wear such an unusual brooch ontwo occasions so close together, so I'd love the details please.
The July 9 one was a private occasion - a church service on Sunday morning at Sandringham.
I've attached a (really bad) picture of the brooch, as worn on July 9, 2012.
Unfortunately, the image is blurry, but the overall design and details leave me in no doubt it's the same brooch.

Attachments

• 2012-07-06--SandringhamChurchBrooch (2).jpg
    2012-07-06--SandringhamChurchBrooch (2).jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 398
To me, it's a dead-ringer for a Lancashire / Tudor rose, certainly the top part of it is. The bottom half, I have no idea about.

Super - thank you Artemisia! That is now even more intriguing!!

I wonder if there was a guest at the Church or staying at Sandringham, who had something to do with the gift of this brooch? I suppose we may never know...

You are welcome, GillW. :)

@ EIIR - I think you and GillW are right; it does look like a Tudor rose - a combination of a white and red roses.
I've cropped a slightly better picture of the brooch where the flowers in the middle are reasonably visible. The bottom part is still a mystery.

If and until we have more information on this brooch, I christen it The Tudor Rose.
Her Majesty appears to like it quite a bit, to wear it on two different occasions within days of each other, so we'll probably see more of this brooch.

Attachments

• Tudor Rose.jpg
    Tudor Rose.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 237
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom