Queen Elizabeth II - Brooches 2: Nov 2009-Dec 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have just bought the Queens Diamonds book and it is truly glorious. I would reconnend it to everyone. I dont know if its available in Australia yet but I bought it online from the book depository site which gives free shipping worldwide.

Last edited:
Could you imagine if the Aquamarine Parve were in Amethyst? That would be something.

That's one of the biggest military badges I've seen; it's just huge on HM's shoulder and it's nicely detailed in closeup.

I'm going royal-watching tomorrow, but with this weather HM will probably be in a raincoat, hiding any brooch :-(

@GillW Have fun. Hope you can made a few photos to share with us.

For today's Garden Party at the Sandringham Estate, the Queen chose to wear one of my favourite brooches - the Sunflower Brooch (also known as the Frosted Sunflower Brooch). There are no eye-popping diamonds or other stones in this one, but I really love the beauty and simplicity of the design.
Her Majesty often wears this brooch with pastels, or with tonal yellow outfits.

Cropped from larger image and constitutes less than 20% of the original.

Attachments

• 123.JPG
    123.JPG
    21.7 KB · Views: 295
Glad that today was the gold dahlia because there are others I'd prefer to see tomorrow - I was hoping it would not be this one! 1 down 149 to go - I'm hoping for a real WOW moment but I bet its something like the Jardine star, whereas I'd really like to see something more unusual or spectacular!

It's certainly pretty in style and apropos for the occasion; not one of her knockouts but I like the inward-curving design and naturally the diamonds.

It is beautiful, and I think one of those "For a small informal event in the backyard at the country place.". I have heard the she keeps Cullinan 3 & 4 semi-perminantly affixed to her big pink fluffy terricloth bath robe at Windsor for those Saturday & Sunday morning red box paper readings. Has the matching pink slippers with Gold Embrodered Crowns in the top. Occasionally pairs the ensomb with QV Chandilier earrings. I here is something to see,

It is beautiful, and I think one of those "For a small informal event in the backyard at the country place.". I have heard the she keeps Cullinan 3 & 4 semi-perminantly affixed to her big pink fluffy terricloth bath robe at Windsor for those Saturday & Sunday morning red box paper readings. Has the matching pink slippers with Gold Embrodered Crowns in the top. Occasionally pairs the ensomb with QV Chandilier earrings. I here is something to see,

Hmm - Must be the Swarovski copy that is normally on display at the Royal Gallery at BP, then... ;-)

What? HM wears Granny's Chips on her bathrobe with chandelier earrings? This is a new one for me!

I just had a very vivid (and somewhat disturbing) image of the gorgeous diamonds suspended from a fluffy bathrobe. :ROFLMAO: :ohmy: :ROFLMAO:
Thankfully, that is definitely not true. Cullinan III and IV brooch has been on display in the Queen’s Gallery from 2002; it is only taken when the Queen wants to wear it.

What? HM wears Granny's Chips on her bathrobe with chandelier earrings? This is a new one for me!
Projects a very vivid mental image, doesn't it? Add the State Diadem, and the image is complete. ;)

Only when she vacuums. I bought my wife's great aunt a cheap tiara somewhere for her to wear when she vacuums because she hates to do it. That was twenty years ago. She still wears the tiara, now plays music, and vacuums when she gets depressed. She now vacuums 3 to 4 times a week. Although she lives alone and has a dog that does not shed.

Makes me want to dump the contents of my jewelry box on myself when drinking my morning coffee!:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Glad that today was the gold dahlia because there are others I'd prefer to see tomorrow - I was hoping it would not be this one! 1 down 149 to go - I'm hoping for a real WOW moment but I bet its something like the Jardine star, whereas I'd really like to see something more unusual or spectacular!
Well, you got your wish: Her Majesty is wearing one of Queen Victoria's Bow Brooches.

Cropped from much larger image.

Attachments

• QueenVictoriaBowBrooches.jpg
    QueenVictoriaBowBrooches.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 340
Last edited:
Well, you got your wish: Her Majesty is wearing one of Queen Victoria's Bow Brooches.

Cropped from much larger image.

My gosh it was a cold wait!!
This is my photo so I am entitled to share it here:

P1030902crop.jpg

OMG..Such a beautiful photo! So close to HM who looks glorious! Great job, Gill. You are getting to be an old hand at photographing the Royals. Thank you for sharing this with us minions. :flowers:

OMG..Such a beautiful photo! So close to HM who looks glorious! Great job, Gill. You are getting to be an old hand at photographing the Royals. Thank ou for sharing this with us minions. :)

It's been many years since I went to see any royals and I slightly got the positioning wrong today, but I'm pleased with the few photos I did get. It was wonderful to get a glimpse of William & the lovely Katherine too. If you want to see more here is a lovely article:

Leaving Facebook... | Facebook

Unfortunately, I don't belong to Facebook and I don't plan to. I will miss seeing more of your wonderful photos that you took. :(

That is a lovely photo, GillW, thank you for sharing it with us. That must have been an exciting time for you. And I just love the bow brooches; such an elegant and romantic design from a bygone age.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing the picture with us, GillW. :flowers:
It must have been quite thrilling to be that close to the Queen; I think even waiting in the cold was well worth it.

Thank you so much once again dear Gill. Wonderful pics of one beautiful Queen. Of course, Catherine and William look nice, as well.

Nice article and video, GillW; thank you again. I liked Kate's curtsey and kiss on the cheek for the Queen. HM looked fantastic as usual.

Last edited:
During the Tour of East Midlands today, Queen Elizabeth wore one of the Kent Amethyst brooches.
Kent Amethyst Brooches (there are 3 of them) belong to the Kent demi-parure. This particular brooch consists of a hexagonal-cut amethyst surrounded by diamond sun-rays. It can be worn on its own (as the Queen did today), or with three smaller amethyst hanging pendants (as in here).

A bit of history.
The Kent Amethyst demi-parure is named so after Princess Victoria of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld, The Duchess of Kent and Strathearn - Queen Victoria's mother. She appeared to have particular fondness for the stone and had many jewels incorporating them, including the Kent demi-parure. Upon her death Queen Victoria inherited only a few of her jewels (most were distributed among her other children, with the reasoning that the Queen of the United Kingdom had no want or need for additional pieces); among them was a demi-parure of amethysts and diamonds, best known as The Kent Amethysts.
The parure consists of a necklace, three brooches, earrings, and two hair combs. Different elements of the set have been worn by all subsequent Queens (Victoria, Mary, Alexandra, Elizabeth, and Elizabeth II), as well as other royals ladies (for instance, the Queen Mother used to wear one of the brooches from the parure whilst still being a "mere" Duchess of York). The current Queen often wears one of the brooches (today's one); mostly, she wears it on its own, although she has also worn the brooch with the the smaller amethyst pendants attached quite often. The other brooches are rarely seen and it has been speculated that at least one of them is no longer in the Queen's possession. The necklace is worn extremely rarely as well, but at least we know it's still in the "family"; Queen Elizabeth wore it during the State Visit to Portugal in 1984, along with other elements of the amethyst parure.

The first attached picture is of the Kent Amethyst brooch worn on its own.
The the third one is of the brooch with three amethyst hanging pendants. Unfortunately, I have no better pictures at the moment.

Cropped from much larger images and constitute less than 20% of the original

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 323
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 339
Last edited:
I thought HM looked even prettier today - wish I could have seen the Kent amethyst...:ermm:

:previous:
Her Majesty is truly the Queen of brooches!

For today's reception at Buckingham Palace, Her Majesty wore The Hibiscus Brooch - a gift from the people of Australia to the Queen Mother.
She has worn this brooch quite often, including back in April (when the Queen and Prince Philip inspected Gloriana).

EDIT - We've now correctly identified the brooch as the so-called Irish Blossom Brooch, and not the Hibiscus one.
The brooch has been worn only on handful of occasions - during a trip to Northern Ireland in 2009 (hence the name), to Ascot in the same year, and to a Buckingham Palace reception, again in late 2009.
Thanks to GillW for correctly identifying it, and for the information! :flowers:

Cropped from larger image and constitutes less than 20% of the original.
The first picture is of the Hibiscus Brooch, while the second is Irish Blossom Brooch.

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 324
  • Irish Blossom Brooch.png
    Irish Blossom Brooch.png
    49.9 KB · Views: 363
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom