The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-25-2009, 10:16 AM
Heir Apparent

Very nice to see that HM has worn the brooch she presented QEQM for her 100th birthday on the first day of her tour of Bermuda.

http://i46.tinypic.com/2s8o6z6.jpg
Courtesy: tinypic

Old 11-27-2009, 02:04 AM
Courtier

What a nice mix of brooches we are seeing on this latest tour:

Centenary Rose on arrival
Commonwealth Rose for the first evening
Greater Nizam on the 2nd day (blue coat)
Diamond Paisley (on pastel paisley patterned suit)
Australian Wattle for arrival in Trinidad & Tobago

Hopefully, with more to come! I'd love to see the wheat-ear which was a diamond wedding aniversary gift being worn during this visit....

Old 11-27-2009, 03:00 AM
Nobility

What is the Commonwealth Rose?
Old 11-27-2009, 03:19 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenElizabeth View Post
What is the Commonwealth Rose?
Just my name for one which has often appeared for "Commonwealth" occasions:

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r...aunch2005-.jpg
Old 11-27-2009, 03:55 AM
Nobility

Oh, is it that one? In my database indicated as 'not named' :-)
I really LOVE you, perhaps it is not the word, but I adore your knowledge and your will to help everyone here.
I thought it was the yellow-centred blossom brooch which she wore at the Reception of the first day. you know the one she wore in Northern Ireland, Ascot and Arrival for Indian President, but a bit altered. Luckily you are here!
Old 11-27-2009, 12:41 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Oh, is it that one? In my database indicated as 'not named' :-)
I really LOVE you, perhaps it is not the word, but I adore your knowledge and your will to help everyone here.
I thought it was the yellow-centred blossom brooch which she wore at the Reception of the first day. you know the one she wore in Northern Ireland, Ascot and Arrival for Indian President, but a bit altered. Luckily you are here!
Amazingly, that was my first impression too, but on looking at the better photos now available it became clear it was not the Irish Blossom after all.
Old 11-27-2009, 10:42 PM
Nobility

Which brooch has The Queen worn, for the CHOGM meeting?
Also are there clearer/or closerup photos?

Wonder if the doctor bird brooch might make an appearance. I know it is a gift of Jamacia, but... one can hope.
Old 11-28-2009, 01:59 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by joye View Post
Which brooch has The Queen worn, for the CHOGM meeting?
Also are there clearer/or closerup photos?

Wonder if the doctor bird brooch might make an appearance. I know it is a gift of Jamacia, but... one can hope.
On the apricot and silver suit HM wore the Kensington Bow, with pearl drop.
Old 11-29-2009, 03:46 AM
Nobility

Thankyou for the Kensington Bow Brooch.
Now The Queen has worn her ruby and diamond brooch, with a multi coloured neckline on a white jacket.
Old 11-29-2009, 05:41 AM
Royal Highness

Does anybody else wonder what's going to happen to these brooches when the Queen dies? I understand that some have historical significance and will remain with "the Queen's Jewels" to be worn by successive Queens. But there's gotta be enough there that are her personal property that every member of her family could receive half a dozen or so!
Old 11-29-2009, 07:49 AM
Courtier

For the final day in Trinidad, HM wore the City of London brooch on a very busy green-but-multi-patterned suit. Hard to see but just able to make it out when enlarged...

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r...gareceptio.jpg
Old 11-29-2009, 07:54 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyPrincess168 View Post
Does anybody else wonder what's going to happen to these brooches when the Queen dies? I understand that some have historical significance and will remain with "the Queen's Jewels" to be worn by successive Queens. But there's gotta be enough there that are her personal property that every member of her family could receive half a dozen or so!
I have 125 in my data and I know there must be more, so yes, plenty to go around. I expect the "pick of the crop" will stay with the next queen and onwards, but maybe some with special family significance will pass to the close lady relatives. I would find it very sad if they vanished from view, as I love them all so much!
Old 11-30-2009, 08:56 AM
Nobility

The Arab Dhow Brooch -- one of the mysteries of my database. But I did some research work, but don't expect an answer. Wikipedia states that a dhow means an Arabic ship. The dhow can carry goods and appears in the coat of arms of Kuwait, Qatar and the United Arab Emirates. Even Q8 (Kuwait Petrol) has dhows in its symbol. The most expensive hotel in the world, in Dubai, is built in a dhow design. Now, the clue, is it possible that The Queen ever baptised a ship of this kind in those countries, or visited the hotel, or opened a Petrol Terminal in those countries, as she did this year earlier in Milford Haven? And that the brooch was given on such an occasion?
Old 11-30-2009, 10:20 AM
Courtier

Quote:
The Arab Dhow Brooch -- one of the mysteries of my database. But I did some research work, but don't expect an answer. Wikipedia states that a dhow means an Arabic ship. The dhow can carry goods and appears in the coat of arms of Kuwait, Qatar and the United Arab Emirates. Even Q8 (Kuwait Petrol) has dhows in its symbol. The most expensive hotel in the world, in Dubai, is built in a dhow design. Now, the clue, is it possible that The Queen ever baptised a ship of this kind in those countries, or visited the hotel, or opened a Petrol Terminal in those countries, as she did this year earlier in Milford Haven? And that the brooch was given on such an occasion?
The Arab Dhow brooch was made by Garrard and was a gift in 1979 from the Amir of Bahrain. Designed as an Arab dhow ship in gold, with baguette diamonds and rubies for the sea (I wonder if that is a visual pun for the Red Sea...? )
Old 11-30-2009, 11:06 AM
Nobility

ah, ok, I did not know that there was any provenance known about this brooch. Thank you very much by the way.
Old 11-30-2009, 11:17 AM
Heir Presumptive

Her Majesty really wore some signifigant pins on her recent state visit overseas. Thanks to all of you who posted pictures and provided us with interesting information about each one. The Queen has such an amazing collection, IMO.
Old 12-01-2009, 04:11 AM
Nobility

Could anyone help to find out when the Arab Dhow was worn with a green outfit?
Old 12-01-2009, 06:12 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Could anyone help to find out when the Arab Dhow was worn with a green outfit?
27 July 2007, in Somerset UK. It was one of the rare occasions when HM wore a different brooch on the dress beneath the coat. The coat had the Dhow and the dress (white with red floral sprays) had Victoria's Bow.
Old 12-09-2009, 04:30 AM
Nobility

Having watched over 15.000 pictures since the weekend, I am now 'bored' of brooches. But one question: The Queen possesses a sapphire chrysanthemum brooch, worn e.g. at Broadlands for the 60th wedding anniversary portrait, and she possesses a 'blue centred daisy'. Can anyone tell me the difference because I can not see a difference. Or could it be the brooch worn for audiences on 22/10/2009?
Old 12-09-2009, 07:32 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Having watched over 15.000 pictures since the weekend, I am now 'bored' of brooches. But one question: The Queen possesses a sapphire chrysanthemum brooch, worn e.g. at Broadlands for the 60th wedding anniversary portrait, and she possesses a 'blue centred daisy'. Can anyone tell me the difference because I can not see a difference. Or could it be the brooch worn for audiences on 22/10/2009?
They are just alternate descriptions of the same piece....The books call it a chrysanthemum but for me its a Daisy....just personal choice once again...

Tags
queen elizabeth ii brooches, queen elizabeth ii jewellery