The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-27-2011, 06:04 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
Great collection of pictures. I wonder if HM has all the brooches lined up in a series of glass fronted wardrobes and goes down the aisle to decide which one she might wear on any particular day.
Actually, HM's lady-in-waiting sets out three day dresses, three daytime ensembles for outside work and three brooches. The Queen then chooses what she wants to wear from those items.

Old 01-27-2011, 06:27 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
Actually, HM's lady-in-waiting sets out three day dresses, three daytime ensembles for outside work and three brooches. The Queen then chooses what she wants to wear from those items.
Suspect this might depend on the occasion. This approach would be fine for day to day work around home. Not so much for the State occasions where one needs to be seen wearing the items gifted from the guest/host country 20-odd years ago and an outfit that goes with them.

Old 02-02-2011, 05:25 PM
Heir Presumptive

This has been boggling me for a wee while now and I just can't figure it out. How do "Granny's Chips" stay pinned on to HM? It doesn't' seem like there is anything behind the diamond to hold a safety pin or anything? Plus, can a safety pin hold all that weight?
Old 02-02-2011, 09:00 PM
Serene Highness

I would think it's a sturdy pin on the brooch itself that keeps it in place.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:30 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princejohnny25 View Post
This has been boggling me for a wee while now and I just can't figure it out. How do "Granny's Chips" stay pinned on to HM? It doesn't' seem like there is anything behind the diamond to hold a safety pin or anything? Plus, can a safety pin hold all that weight?
A thing a pin specialized for brooches could hold that weight, but I suspect that HM's dresses have some reinforcement in them to hold up the brooch or else the dress would sag, either that or it is pinned through her dress and bra strap, which could handle the weight.
Old 02-03-2011, 03:08 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princejohnny25 View Post
I have seen that brooch really close on display in Buckingham Palace where it is about 18 inches away behind glass. The top stone has a few claws holding it onto a metal (platinum?) frame, with the "normal" kind of brooch fastening.

You must remember that HM's dresses & gowns are all couture, and even day dresses are designed specially to hold things like her many brooches, which are part of her everyday appearance. Although the stones themselves weigh a total of 157.7 carats this is actually only 30 grams, which is not a lot - and probably a lot less than a cheap glass imitation of it would be.

For some great information and a lovely close up photo, See The Cullinan Diamonds
Old 02-03-2011, 03:32 PM
Heir Presumptive

I would think that would also account for why the brooches are always pinned on the left shoulder (almost never the right) in the same spot. There is most likely some type of accomodation made in the construction of her clothes to support the weight of the pin.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:19 PM

Please help identfy this brooch

Hi
Please can anybody help to identify this brooch. My Grandfather designed and made this brooch. I have been told by members of my family that the Queen has worn it whilst making a Christmas speech. Thanks Steve Coward
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	picture of brooch.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	202.7 KB
ID:	276114  
Old 02-11-2011, 05:18 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by pm.services View Post
Hi
Please can anybody help to identify this brooch. My Grandfather designed and made this brooch. I have been told by members of my family that the Queen has worn it whilst making a Christmas speech. Thanks Steve Coward
It seems to be this one, a wedding gift, the picture is from the State visit in October.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:01 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple_Lulu View Post
Suspect this might depend on the occasion. This approach would be fine for day to day work around home. Not so much for the State occasions where one needs to be seen wearing the items gifted from the guest/host country 20-odd years ago and an outfit that goes with them.
Goes without saying. I was speaking only of daywear.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:13 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Hi
Every time I've seen this brooch, it's called, simply, the Ruby Brooch. Was your grandfather's name Andrew? It is beautiful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
I would think that would also account for why the brooches are always pinned on the left shoulder (almost never the right) in the same spot. There is most likely some type of accomodation made in the construction of her clothes to support the weight of the pin.
Until the advent of shoulder bags for women, the left was the norm for brooch wearing.
Old 02-11-2011, 09:23 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Hi

This brooch was wedding gift no. 907, from The Jewellers and Silversmiths of Great Britian.
I contacted the librarian of the guild, who said it was their gift. Sparkler had printed pages and pictures of this gift and put me on the track to contact the guild.
How wonderful for you and your grandfather to be connected to this pretty ruby/diamond brooch.
Old 02-13-2011, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joye View Post
This brooch was wedding gift no. 907, from The Jewellers and Silversmiths of Great Britian.
I contacted the librarian of the guild, who said it was their gift. Sparkler had printed pages and pictures of this gift and put me on the track to contact the guild.
How wonderful for you and your grandfather to be connected to this pretty ruby/diamond brooch.
Thank you very much for the information. Excuse my ignorance is Sparkler another member and what Guild did you manage to contact. I am researching this for my 8 yr old son, he has a friend in his class at school who's Grand father designed and made the Flame lily. There are only 15 children in his class and it seems that both of their grandfathers have made jewelry for the Queen. Its a very small world
Old 02-13-2011, 05:47 PM

[QUOTE=KittyAtlanta;1204057]Every time I've seen this brooch, it's called, simply, the Ruby Brooch. Was your grandfather's name Andrew? It is beautiful.

Thank you so much the the information. My grandfathers name was Stanley Denham and he worked for a jewelers in Hatton Garden, London called S.Stellman.
Old 02-14-2011, 03:28 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Thank you very much for the information. Excuse my ignorance is Sparkler another member and what Guild did you manage to contact. I am researching this for my 8 yr old son, he has a friend in his class at school who's Grand father designed and made the Flame lily. There are only 15 children in his class and it seems that both of their grandfathers have made jewelry for the Queen. Its a very small world

The guild is the Goldsmiths . The must have been an amalgamation of goldsmiths, silversmiths and jewellers.
Sparkler is the posters name on another board, who had the information on this brooch.
Wonderful to know the designed of the flame lily, Rhodesian I suppose you mean? What is his name please?
Old 02-14-2011, 04:03 PM
Heir Presumptive

[QUOTE=pm.services;1204680]
Quote:
Every time I've seen this brooch, it's called, simply, the Ruby Brooch. Was your grandfather's name Andrew? It is beautiful.

Thank you so much the the information. My grandfathers name was Stanley Denham and he worked for a jewelers in Hatton Garden, London called S.Stellman.
STEVE, The designer I thought of was Andrew Grima, but on review, his designs are far too organic.

Here's a link of photos of 50 of HM's brooches. Yours is worn in, if I remember, photo 20.
http://aeiou.caras.pt/fotogaleria-as...abel-ii=f34845

As of November 2008, S. Stillman Jewellers was located at
37-38 Diamond House, Hatton Garden, London, EC1

You may want to contact them. It might be very easy to find out everything you'd want to know about the piece.

This looks like a recent photo of Her Majesty, but I don't think she wore that suit on her latest tour of the US and Canada.

Here's another link where HM is wearing the brooch: http://www.zimbio.com/pictures/h96mB...n+Elizabeth+II

And a nice video with a photo (kind of fuzzy) with the brooch at 6.57 minutes.

Good luck with the project!!!
Old 02-15-2011, 03:50 AM
Courtier

Kitty Atlanta thankyou for the 50 photos. Not only brooches but tiaras and necklaces as well. Quite up to date photos too. Fantastic gallery.
Old 02-15-2011, 03:56 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Hi
Steve, thank you for coming on this board - it is little nuggets of information like yours which helps and delights us all here!! Congratulations to your Grandfather - his work is uniquely identifiable amongst the Queen's brooches - there is no other like this one amongst her collection.

I hope you will drop by again! Here is a nice clear photo of it being worn

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r...s-IMG_4143.jpg
Old 02-15-2011, 04:26 PM
Courtier

Quote:

Here's a link of photos of 50 of HM's brooches. FOTOGALERIA As joias de Isabel II - Caras.pt
A magnificent collection and looks perfect on HM.
Thank you KittyAtlanta.
Old 02-19-2011, 01:43 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by joye View Post
The guild is the Goldsmiths . The must have been an amalgamation of goldsmiths, silversmiths and jewellers.
Sparkler is the posters name on another board, who had the information on this brooch.
Wonderful to know the designed of the flame lily, Rhodesian I suppose you mean? What is his name please?
London Guilds are a kind of trade body or union, so anyone-who's-anyone in the world of using gold would have made sure they met the standards to belong to the Guild.
See:
Worshipful Company of Goldsmiths - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Tags
queen elizabeth ii brooches, queen elizabeth ii jewellery