The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-10-2011, 04:56 PM
Super Moderator

I agree that appropiateness for the event, host and location is an issue when selecting the day's brooch. But "delighting the jewel-watchers"? I don't think so, or she would vary her necklaces and earrings as well. I still believe that brooches are her favourites.

Old 01-11-2011, 02:52 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilia C. View Post
I agree that appropiateness for the event, host and location is an issue when selecting the day's brooch. But "delighting the jewel-watchers"? I don't think so, or she would vary her necklaces and earrings as well. I still believe that brooches are her favourites.
However, most of the brooches are worn to daytime events and for HM it is still not good "form" to wear diamonds in the daytime, so pearls are not just her personal favourite but almost a uniform for ladies in her role/class/circle.

Old 01-14-2011, 12:50 AM
Heir Presumptive

Now, I have a question about this stunner! Does it have an official name?, I know that it used to belong to Q.Alexandra and was last seen on Q.Mary before reemerging during the French state visit. What is its exact history and do people take this brooch showing up as a sign that Q.Alex's other jewels are just waiting around in the vaults?
Old 01-14-2011, 02:27 AM
Royal Highness

Cool

Is it the middle portion of the Cockade piece that can be worn in it's entirely or the pieces can each be worn separately?
Old 01-14-2011, 03:59 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katrianna View Post
Is it the middle portion of the Cockade piece that can be worn in it's entirely or the pieces can each be worn separately?
Yes that's exactly what it is.
Old 01-14-2011, 05:52 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princejohnny25 View Post
Now, I have a question about this stunner! Does it have an official name?, I know that it used to belong to Q.Alexandra and was last seen on Q.Mary before reemerging during the French state visit. What is its exact history and do people take this brooch showing up as a sign that Q.Alex's other jewels are just waiting around in the vaults?
I certainly saw it as evidence of HM having recently spengt some time in the royal vaults looking at some older pieces. In addition to this, we have seen the giranderole earrings emerge after many years, as well as QEQMs diamond earrings
Old 01-14-2011, 01:11 PM
Heir Presumptive

I'm really hoping we get to see new light on Q.A's jewels this and next year. With all the big royal events coming up and a growing royal family its the perfect time to whip a few things out of the vaults.
Old 01-14-2011, 03:13 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katrianna View Post
Here's the Cockade
(all diamonds, and probably close to life-size - imagine!!)

Image no longer subject to copyright.

Old 01-14-2011, 05:54 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilia C. View Post
I love HM signature look with the hardly ever changing discreet pearl ear studs and three-strand pearl necklace combined with one of her many brooches. And I adore the way she matches her brooches with the outfit and the occasions.
I agree - and I am a fan of her brooches - would love to dig in her vaults...
Old 01-25-2011, 01:37 AM
Courtier

Gill W I wonder if you could come to my rescue please. On the previous page [16] there is a Portuguese site of 50 brooches and I recognise all except no 33. Wonder if you could help naming it for me please. The pics are all good size ones. Forever in your debt. cheers.

FOTOGALERIA As joias de Isabel II - Caras.pt
Old 01-25-2011, 02:50 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarlita View Post
Gill W I wonder if you could come to my rescue please. On the previous page [16] there is a Spanish site of 50 brooches and I recognise all except no 33. Wonder if you could help naming it for me please. The pics are all good size ones. Forever in your debt. cheers.
Nice site and some lovely photos - pity they had several duplicates when there are so many more to choose from!

The large brooch (#33) on the light blue cocktail dress is one which sparked a lot of debate when it appeared in Turkey. However, it seems no-one was able to either identify it for certain nor even decide if it is actually a gemstone brooch or maybe simply a faux decoration on the dress. This dress has not so far appeared again in public, so we cannot even be guided by that. Many of the larger diamond brooches were suggested as possibles, however none were a close enough match to meet the consensus.
Old 01-25-2011, 02:28 PM
Courtier

Thank you for your reply. When I first saw it I thought it might have been one of the Queen Mums big floral brooches from the 1930s with the drops missing. But as you say it is too difficult to tell. Thanks again.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:01 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
I certainly saw it as evidence of HM having recently spengt some time in the royal vaults looking at some older pieces. In addition to this, we have seen the giranderole earrings emerge after many years, as well as QEQMs diamond earrings
Is this not the Surrey sunburst brooch? The photograph posted by Warren, shows a slightly different piece.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:05 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarlita View Post
Gill W I wonder if you could come to my rescue please. On the previous page [16] there is a Portuguese site of 50 brooches and I recognise all except no 33. Wonder if you could help naming it for me please. The pics are all good size ones. Forever in your debt. cheers.

FOTOGALERIA As joias de Isabel II - Caras.pt
Great collection of pictures. I wonder if HM has all the brooches lined up in a series of glass fronted wardrobes and goes down the aisle to decide which one she might wear on any particular day.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:26 AM
Administrator

From what I understand all (or most) of the jewellery is kept in the original jeweller's presentation cases.
I'd imagine that very few people have ever seen the full extent of the Windsor treasure-trove.
Old 01-26-2011, 11:35 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post

From what I understand all (or most) of the jewellery is kept in the original jeweller's presentation cases.
I'd imagine that very few people have ever seen the full extent of the Windsor treasure-trove.
I am sure uit must only be a handful of people who have seen the entire treasure trove, but keeping te jewellery in their original cases might make it quite difficult to choose every morning!
Old 01-26-2011, 01:18 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
I am sure uit must only be a handful of people who have seen the entire treasure trove, but keeping te jewellery in their original cases might make it quite difficult to choose every morning!
I don't think HM "chooses every morning" - All her outfits (for engagements anyway) are planned months in advance. I think I read somewhere that she discusses with her dresser what brooch/jewels are appropriate to compliment both each outfit and also the occasion / hosts or guests, location, decor etc. Once all of this has been agreed it is then built into the plans for the day and the outfit and all extras are then set out on the day by the dresser, and details are prepared for the press release, too.
Old 01-26-2011, 01:53 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by GillW View Post
I don't think HM "chooses every morning" - All her outfits (for engagements anyway) are planned months in advance. I think I read somewhere that she discusses with her dresser what brooch/jewels are appropriate to compliment both each outfit and also the occasion / hosts or guests, location, decor etc. Once all of this has been agreed it is then built into the plans for the day and the outfit and all extras are then set out on the day by the dresser, and details are prepared for the press release, too.
That all sounds very plausible. Many thanks.
Old 01-27-2011, 04:32 AM
Nobility

I heard on the BBC coverage of Ladies Day 2010 that HM The Queen never orders an outfit for a specific occasion, but she orders a selection of different clothes, ... and on the morning itself, she chooses what she will wear.
When The Queen visited Belgium in 2007 I stood at the hotel where she stayed and there were three different hat boxes, so I suppose she had three outfits for the following day. She wore a light purple ensemble (one of the 2007 USA State Visit outfits) to arrive by Eurostar; and the following day in Wavre and Ypres she wore a deep purple coat and hat (which she wore at the 2004 opening of the Hyde Park Diana Fountain). So that was one of the two other; so I think she has plenty to choose from on the day.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:58 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenElizabeth View Post
I heard on the BBC coverage of Ladies Day 2010 that HM The Queen never orders an outfit for a specific occasion, but she orders a selection of different clothes, ... and on the morning itself, she chooses what she will wear.
When The Queen visited Belgium in 2007 I stood at the hotel where she stayed and there were three different hat boxes, so I suppose she had three outfits for the following day. She wore a light purple ensemble (one of the 2007 USA State Visit outfits) to arrive by Eurostar; and the following day in Wavre and Ypres she wore a deep purple coat and hat (which she wore at the 2004 opening of the Hyde Park Diana Fountain). So that was one of the two other; so I think she has plenty to choose from on the day.
No doubt that was the same commentator who said that we were "very lucky to see the Cullinan V brooch as it is worn so rarely"? ... (he also didn't recognize one or two well known brooches - he knows nothing and annoys me intently!)

Whereas actually it is always in the top 5 favourites worn more often than almost any other!!

However, I think for Ascot, which is counted as a personal day rather than an official engagement, she may in fact choose from a selection on the day, according to the weather. But for her official engagements the outfits are very carefully planned. I don't doubt there is a standby just in case of a last minute problem (such as a spilled drink just as she is about to leave, perhaps) For affirmation, you really only need to look at a selection of events and see just how very well the clothes fit the day/event/location/surroundings etc.

Tags
queen elizabeth ii brooches, queen elizabeth ii jewellery