Queen Elizabeth II - Brooches 2: Nov 2009-Dec 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Gill W I wonder if you could come to my rescue please. On the previous page [16] there is a Spanish site of 50 brooches and I recognise all except no 33. Wonder if you could help naming it for me please. The pics are all good size ones. Forever in your debt. cheers.

Nice site and some lovely photos - pity they had several duplicates when there are so many more to choose from!

The large brooch (#33) on the light blue cocktail dress is one which sparked a lot of debate when it appeared in Turkey. However, it seems no-one was able to either identify it for certain nor even decide if it is actually a gemstone brooch or maybe simply a faux decoration on the dress. This dress has not so far appeared again in public, so we cannot even be guided by that. Many of the larger diamond brooches were suggested as possibles, however none were a close enough match to meet the consensus.

Thank you for your reply. When I first saw it I thought it might have been one of the Queen Mums big floral brooches from the 1930s with the drops missing. But as you say it is too difficult to tell. Thanks again.

I certainly saw it as evidence of HM having recently spengt some time in the royal vaults looking at some older pieces. In addition to this, we have seen the giranderole earrings emerge after many years, as well as QEQMs diamond earrings

Is this not the Surrey sunburst brooch? The photograph posted by Warren, shows a slightly different piece.

Gill W I wonder if you could come to my rescue please. On the previous page [16] there is a Portuguese site of 50 brooches and I recognise all except no 33. Wonder if you could help naming it for me please. The pics are all good size ones. Forever in your debt. cheers.

FOTOGALERIA As joias de Isabel II - Caras.pt

Great collection of pictures. I wonder if HM has all the brooches lined up in a series of glass fronted wardrobes and goes down the aisle to decide which one she might wear on any particular day.

:previous:
From what I understand all (or most) of the jewellery is kept in the original jeweller's presentation cases.
I'd imagine that very few people have ever seen the full extent of the Windsor treasure-trove.

:previous:
From what I understand all (or most) of the jewellery is kept in the original jeweller's presentation cases.
I'd imagine that very few people have ever seen the full extent of the Windsor treasure-trove.

I am sure uit must only be a handful of people who have seen the entire treasure trove, but keeping te jewellery in their original cases might make it quite difficult to choose every morning!

I am sure uit must only be a handful of people who have seen the entire treasure trove, but keeping te jewellery in their original cases might make it quite difficult to choose every morning!

I don't think HM "chooses every morning" - All her outfits (for engagements anyway) are planned months in advance. I think I read somewhere that she discusses with her dresser what brooch/jewels are appropriate to compliment both each outfit and also the occasion / hosts or guests, location, decor etc. Once all of this has been agreed it is then built into the plans for the day and the outfit and all extras are then set out on the day by the dresser, and details are prepared for the press release, too.

I don't think HM "chooses every morning" - All her outfits (for engagements anyway) are planned months in advance. I think I read somewhere that she discusses with her dresser what brooch/jewels are appropriate to compliment both each outfit and also the occasion / hosts or guests, location, decor etc. Once all of this has been agreed it is then built into the plans for the day and the outfit and all extras are then set out on the day by the dresser, and details are prepared for the press release, too.

That all sounds very plausible. Many thanks. :flowers:

I heard on the BBC coverage of Ladies Day 2010 that HM The Queen never orders an outfit for a specific occasion, but she orders a selection of different clothes, ... and on the morning itself, she chooses what she will wear.
When The Queen visited Belgium in 2007 I stood at the hotel where she stayed and there were three different hat boxes, so I suppose she had three outfits for the following day. She wore a light purple ensemble (one of the 2007 USA State Visit outfits) to arrive by Eurostar; and the following day in Wavre and Ypres she wore a deep purple coat and hat (which she wore at the 2004 opening of the Hyde Park Diana Fountain). So that was one of the two other; so I think she has plenty to choose from on the day.

I heard on the BBC coverage of Ladies Day 2010 that HM The Queen never orders an outfit for a specific occasion, but she orders a selection of different clothes, ... and on the morning itself, she chooses what she will wear.
When The Queen visited Belgium in 2007 I stood at the hotel where she stayed and there were three different hat boxes, so I suppose she had three outfits for the following day. She wore a light purple ensemble (one of the 2007 USA State Visit outfits) to arrive by Eurostar; and the following day in Wavre and Ypres she wore a deep purple coat and hat (which she wore at the 2004 opening of the Hyde Park Diana Fountain). So that was one of the two other; so I think she has plenty to choose from on the day.

No doubt that was the same commentator who said that we were "very lucky to see the Cullinan V brooch as it is worn so rarely"? ... (he also didn't recognize one or two well known brooches - he knows nothing and annoys me intently!)

Whereas actually it is always in the top 5 favourites worn more often than almost any other!!

However, I think for Ascot, which is counted as a personal day rather than an official engagement, she may in fact choose from a selection on the day, according to the weather. But for her official engagements the outfits are very carefully planned. I don't doubt there is a standby just in case of a last minute problem (such as a spilled drink just as she is about to leave, perhaps) For affirmation, you really only need to look at a selection of events and see just how very well the clothes fit the day/event/location/surroundings etc.

Great collection of pictures. I wonder if HM has all the brooches lined up in a series of glass fronted wardrobes and goes down the aisle to decide which one she might wear on any particular day.

Actually, HM's lady-in-waiting sets out three day dresses, three daytime ensembles for outside work and three brooches. The Queen then chooses what she wants to wear from those items.

Actually, HM's lady-in-waiting sets out three day dresses, three daytime ensembles for outside work and three brooches. The Queen then chooses what she wants to wear from those items.

Suspect this might depend on the occasion. This approach would be fine for day to day work around home. Not so much for the State occasions where one needs to be seen wearing the items gifted from the guest/host country 20-odd years ago and an outfit that goes with them.

This has been boggling me for a wee while now and I just can't figure it out. How do "Granny's Chips" stay pinned on to HM? It doesn't' seem like there is anything behind the diamond to hold a safety pin or anything? Plus, can a safety pin hold all that weight?

I would think it's a sturdy pin on the brooch itself that keeps it in place.

This has been boggling me for a wee while now and I just can't figure it out. How do "Granny's Chips" stay pinned on to HM? It doesn't' seem like there is anything behind the diamond to hold a safety pin or anything? Plus, can a safety pin hold all that weight?

A thing a pin specialized for brooches could hold that weight, but I suspect that HM's dresses have some reinforcement in them to hold up the brooch or else the dress would sag, either that or it is pinned through her dress and bra strap, which could handle the weight.

I have seen that brooch really close on display in Buckingham Palace where it is about 18 inches away behind glass. The top stone has a few claws holding it onto a metal (platinum?) frame, with the "normal" kind of brooch fastening.

You must remember that HM's dresses & gowns are all couture, and even day dresses are designed specially to hold things like her many brooches, which are part of her everyday appearance. Although the stones themselves weigh a total of 157.7 carats this is actually only 30 grams, which is not a lot - and probably a lot less than a cheap glass imitation of it would be.

For some great information and a lovely close up photo, See The Cullinan Diamonds

Last edited:
I would think that would also account for why the brooches are always pinned on the left shoulder (almost never the right) in the same spot. There is most likely some type of accomodation made in the construction of her clothes to support the weight of the pin.

Please help identfy this brooch

Hi
Please can anybody help to identify this brooch. My Grandfather designed and made this brooch. I have been told by members of my family that the Queen has worn it whilst making a Christmas speech. Thanks Steve Coward:)

Attachments

• picture of brooch.jpg
    picture of brooch.jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 317
Hi
Please can anybody help to identify this brooch. My Grandfather designed and made this brooch. I have been told by members of my family that the Queen has worn it whilst making a Christmas speech. Thanks Steve Coward:)
It seems to be this one, a wedding gift, the picture is from the State visit in October.

Last edited:
Suspect this might depend on the occasion. This approach would be fine for day to day work around home. Not so much for the State occasions where one needs to be seen wearing the items gifted from the guest/host country 20-odd years ago and an outfit that goes with them.

Goes without saying. I was speaking only of daywear.

Hi

Every time I've seen this brooch, it's called, simply, the Ruby Brooch. Was your grandfather's name Andrew? It is beautiful.

I would think that would also account for why the brooches are always pinned on the left shoulder (almost never the right) in the same spot. There is most likely some type of accomodation made in the construction of her clothes to support the weight of the pin.

Until the advent of shoulder bags for women, the left was the norm for brooch wearing.

Last edited:
Hi

This brooch was wedding gift no. 907, from The Jewellers and Silversmiths of Great Britian.
I contacted the librarian of the guild, who said it was their gift. Sparkler had printed pages and pictures of this gift and put me on the track to contact the guild.
How wonderful for you and your grandfather to be connected to this pretty ruby/diamond brooch.

This brooch was wedding gift no. 907, from The Jewellers and Silversmiths of Great Britian.
I contacted the librarian of the guild, who said it was their gift. Sparkler had printed pages and pictures of this gift and put me on the track to contact the guild.
How wonderful for you and your grandfather to be connected to this pretty ruby/diamond brooch.

Thank you very much for the information. Excuse my ignorance is Sparkler another member and what Guild did you manage to contact. I am researching this for my 8 yr old son, he has a friend in his class at school who's Grand father designed and made the Flame lily. There are only 15 children in his class and it seems that both of their grandfathers have made jewelry for the Queen. Its a very small world

Every time I've seen this brooch, it's called, simply, the Ruby Brooch. Was your grandfather's name Andrew? It is beautiful.

Thank you so much the the information. My grandfathers name was Stanley Denham and he worked for a jewelers in Hatton Garden, London called S.Stellman.

Thank you very much for the information. Excuse my ignorance is Sparkler another member and what Guild did you manage to contact. I am researching this for my 8 yr old son, he has a friend in his class at school who's Grand father designed and made the Flame lily. There are only 15 children in his class and it seems that both of their grandfathers have made jewelry for the Queen. Its a very small world

The guild is the Goldsmiths . The must have been an amalgamation of goldsmiths, silversmiths and jewellers.
Sparkler is the posters name on another board, who had the information on this brooch.
Wonderful to know the designed of the flame lily, Rhodesian I suppose you mean? What is his name please?

Thank you so much the the information. My grandfathers name was Stanley Denham and he worked for a jewelers in Hatton Garden, London called S.Stellman.

STEVE, The designer I thought of was Andrew Grima, but on review, his designs are far too organic.

Here's a link of photos of 50 of HM's brooches. Yours is worn in, if I remember, photo 20.
http://aeiou.caras.pt/fotogaleria-as-joias-de-isabel-ii=f34845

As of November 2008, S. Stillman Jewellers was located at
37-38 Diamond House, Hatton Garden, London, EC1

You may want to contact them. It might be very easy to find out everything you'd want to know about the piece.

This looks like a recent photo of Her Majesty, but I don't think she wore that suit on her latest tour of the US and Canada.

Here's another link where HM is wearing the brooch: http://www.zimbio.com/pictures/h96m...n+Headquarters/7YM8PL_eV2p/Queen+Elizabeth+II

And a nice video with a photo (kind of fuzzy) with the brooch www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4g0sJyoF9c at 6.57 minutes.

Good luck with the project!!!

Last edited:
Kitty Atlanta thankyou for the 50 photos. Not only brooches but tiaras and necklaces as well. Quite up to date photos too. Fantastic gallery.

Hi

Steve, thank you for coming on this board - it is little nuggets of information like yours which helps and delights us all here!! Congratulations to your Grandfather - his work is uniquely identifiable amongst the Queen's brooches - there is no other like this one amongst her collection.

I hope you will drop by again! Here is a nice clear photo of it being worn

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r181/gillweb/Brooches%20and%20jewels/goldknotwithrubies-IMG_4143.jpg

Last edited:
The guild is the Goldsmiths . The must have been an amalgamation of goldsmiths, silversmiths and jewellers.
Sparkler is the posters name on another board, who had the information on this brooch.
Wonderful to know the designed of the flame lily, Rhodesian I suppose you mean? What is his name please?

London Guilds are a kind of trade body or union, so anyone-who's-anyone in the world of using gold would have made sure they met the standards to belong to the Guild.
See:
Worshipful Company of Goldsmiths - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom