Queen Elizabeth II - Brooches 2: Nov 2009-Dec 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There are better photos of the brooch worn today, but again, one that I'm not familiar with. Does anyone know what the central stone is or any information about it's history?

Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected

Details of both brooches:

*Original images have been heavily cropped (cropped versions comprise less than 20% of the original) and are not subject to copyright

Attachments

• Untitled-2.jpg
    Untitled-2.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 395
  • Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 330
Abu Dhabi & Oman Trip 2010 Brooches:
Pic

These are wheat-ears, and I think they were once worn as hairclips many years ago, but I have never seen HM wear them as brooches before.

How lovely to see the Wheat ear brooches again - I believe they date from William IV's time.

With the activities of 2010 almost over with only the Christmas Day Service to go, I think it is time again to see which brooches were on the top of The Queen's favourites this year and I have to say it is surprisingly:

top favourite: Gold dahlia brooch (9)
second: Cartier aquamarine clips (8)
third: Bow brooch (7)
Trefoil (7)
Paisley (6)
Cullinan V (6)
Kent amethyst (6)
Flower basket (5)
Jardine star (5)
Australian Hybiscus (4)

The Queen has worn the gold dahlia brooch for both The Christmas Broadcast and for Christmas Day Church.
Most interesting

The Queen has worn the gold dahlia brooch for both The Christmas Broadcast and for Christmas Day Church.
Most interesting

It is indeed.;) I liked this gold brooch on her cream scarf yesterday. It was a great idea, IMO.

I thought the gold dahila brooch made the whole look! Such a nice touch, no one does brooches better than Her Majesty, IMO.

I think she overdoes the brooches. We do not need to see so many of them. In fact, I once read that she has about a hundred brooches! Yuk! I like discretion.

I think she overdoes the brooches. We do not need to see so many of them. In fact, I once read that she has about a hundred brooches! Yuk! I like discretion.

Frankly, the people who read this particular section can't get enough of the magnificent collection of Well Over 100 brooches that grace HM's outfits virtually daily. They are part of her signature look, full of beauty, priceless history and sentiment. We love them all, so if you don't then maybe there are other boards that you may find more interesting :flowers:

For the rest of us, long may we continue to enjoy the incomparable display.:clap:

I love HM signature look with the hardly ever changing discreet pearl ear studs and three-strand pearl necklace combined with one of her many brooches. And I adore the way she matches her brooches with the outfit and the occasions.

I truly love all of QEII's jewelry. And when one stops to think that most of what she has was either inherited or gifted, it isn't surprising that she has "over a hundred" of anything.

No offense to QEII intended here, but when one looks at photos/portraits of royals from history, the current monarch is actually kind of drab in her jewelry sometimes. But she can do the bling when she wants too!

I don't find Her Majesty drab at all when she wears her jewelry. I think she has fantastic taste and wears jewels from tiara to bracelets perfectly.

If you like discretion, you wouldn't have liked Queen Alexandra and Queen Mary and their displays of jewelry.:p:eek:

If you like discretion, you wouldn't have liked Queen Alexandra and Queen Mary and their displays of jewelry.:p:eek:

Yes, those two ladies do make QEII look rather reserved in her taste! - but of course she would look well overdone if she followed their style these days!

You Know, its funny as much as I scour these forums for pics of jewels and think I have seen most everything, there must have been at least 6 brooches that I hadn't seen. Amazing!!! I wonder if HM enjoys wearing these jewels as much as I enjoy looking at them! Thanks for all the pics!

I say "bring on the brooches"!! It would be wasteful to not utilize all of those beautiful jewels for everyone to enjoy. Letting them rot in the vaults would be shameful.

You Know, its funny as much as I scour these forums for pics of jewels and think I have seen most everything, there must have been at least 6 brooches that I hadn't seen. Amazing!!! I wonder if HM enjoys wearing these jewels as much as I enjoy looking at them! Thanks for all the pics!
I firmly believe that HM must enjoy her brooches:flowers:. Why else would she wear a different one with every new outfit? She certainly does not make the same effort with her earrings and necklace.

I firmly believe that HM must enjoy her brooches:flowers:. Why else would she wear a different one with every new outfit? She certainly does not make the same effort with her earrings and necklace.

I think it's something like a game for HM - "lets see what we can find that is (a) most appropriate to today's event/host/location (b) compliments the outfit - but probably has not been worn on this coat before (c) delights the jewel-watchers" and add into the mix now and again a fun surprise for everybody that hasn't been seen for years.
;)

I agree that appropiateness for the event, host and location is an issue when selecting the day's brooch. But "delighting the jewel-watchers"? I don't think so, or she would vary her necklaces and earrings as well. I still believe that brooches are her favourites.:)

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree that appropiateness for the event, host and location is an issue when selecting the day's brooch. But "delighting the jewel-watchers"? I don't think so, or she would vary her necklaces and earrings as well. I still believe that brooches are her favourites.:)

However, most of the brooches are worn to daytime events and for HM it is still not good "form" to wear diamonds in the daytime, so pearls are not just her personal favourite but almost a uniform for ladies in her role/class/circle.

Now, I have a question about this stunner! Does it have an official name?, I know that it used to belong to Q.Alexandra and was last seen on Q.Mary before reemerging during the French state visit. What is its exact history and do people take this brooch showing up as a sign that Q.Alex's other jewels are just waiting around in the vaults?

Is it the middle portion of the Cockade piece that can be worn in it's entirely or the pieces can each be worn separately? :flowers:

Now, I have a question about this stunner! Does it have an official name?, I know that it used to belong to Q.Alexandra and was last seen on Q.Mary before reemerging during the French state visit. What is its exact history and do people take this brooch showing up as a sign that Q.Alex's other jewels are just waiting around in the vaults?

I certainly saw it as evidence of HM having recently spengt some time in the royal vaults looking at some older pieces. In addition to this, we have seen the giranderole earrings emerge after many years, as well as QEQMs diamond earrings

I'm really hoping we get to see new light on Q.A's jewels this and next year. With all the big royal events coming up and a growing royal family its the perfect time to whip a few things out of the vaults.

Is it the middle portion of the Cockade piece that can be worn in it's entirely or the pieces can each be worn separately? :flowers:
Here's the Cockade
(all diamonds, and probably close to life-size - imagine!!)

Cockade2.jpg

Image no longer subject to copyright.

I love HM signature look with the hardly ever changing discreet pearl ear studs and three-strand pearl necklace combined with one of her many brooches. And I adore the way she matches her brooches with the outfit and the occasions.

I agree - and I am a fan of her brooches - would love to dig in her vaults...

Gill W I wonder if you could come to my rescue please. On the previous page [16] there is a Portuguese site of 50 brooches and I recognise all except no 33. Wonder if you could help naming it for me please. The pics are all good size ones. Forever in your debt. cheers.

FOTOGALERIA As joias de Isabel II - Caras.pt

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom