Queen Elizabeth II - Brooches 2: Nov 2009-Dec 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Warren

Administrator in Memoriam
City
Sydney
Country
Australia
Welcome to

Queen Elizabeth II - Brooches 2

commencing November 2009

Part 1, December 2003 to October 2009, can be found here.

¤ ¤ ¤

Let us begin the new thread with a typical rainy London photo, but at least HM is wearing the Kent amethyst brooch today (03 Nov 2009)

details_pop

Fab - nice to see that one out and about again -if only she'd get the rest of the suite out more often - and get a nice tiara made to boot!

I love the Kent Amethysts! I used to think she rarely wore the brooches, but I see them about as often as I do other pieces (GillW--what does your data base tell you about the Kent's Order of Preference?)--I would love to see the two Kent amethyst hair combs--sigh.... perhaps they could be combined to create a more useful tiara? Who wears hair combs, anyway? Oh well, I would love to see this set on The Duchess.

I agree, the Kent Amethysts are superb! Glad to see this beautiful brooch again.

The Kent amethyst brooch worn in the 2012 Olympic Park was worn four times this year, to my database, which is of course not from the highest scale and quality of GillW, but I hope I can help too. The Kent amethyst was worn for the audience for the Governor of England (24/03), the Order of Merit Reception and Luncheon (21/05), the visit to the Maritime Museum in Eyemouth, Scotland during Holyrood Week (02/07) and yesterday (03/11) for the visit to the Olympic Park.

I think that The Queen loaned her Maple Leaf brooch to The Duchess of Cornwall for the Day 1 of the Canadian Tour of Charles and Camilla. Or is this perhaps a gift from Canada to The Duchess as The Queen, The Queen Mother and I suppose Queen Mary as well had different shapes of Maple Leafs when they visited the country for the first time?

Last edited by a moderator:
The Kent amethyst brooch worn earlier is fantastic! Her Majesty seems to favor it as of late...

A very tricky question for brooch watchers:

http://i.acephotos.org/images/orig/4...phjux5gg5j.jpg

Here you can see The Princess Anne at the time wearing a sort of copy of the Jardine Star The Queen often wears. Is this the same brooch, or a copy, and I also noticed that Lady Sarah Chatto possesses an identical 'Jardine Star' brooch or copy.
Is there any provenance or idea whether The Queen loaned it to Anne for this occasion, but I don't think she gives it to her niece Sarah Chatto for a simple outing. Sarah Chatto appeared in a Majesty Magazine of some years ago wearing that Jardine Star copy.

Your link does not work for me but I seem to remember that Princess Anne's star brooch has a central pearl instead of a diamond like her mother's. I believe Lady Sarah wears a similar style star which belonged to her mother. Stars were a very popular (I hate to say "common"!!) design for brooches around the Vistorian.Edwardian era.

To me the Maple Leaf does look to be the one the Queen wears, so I would assume it has been loaned for the trip.

I have one more time for the Kent amethyst this year - There was an article published February 19th on the death of Surgeon Vice Admiral Ian Jenkins, Constable and Governor of Windsor Castle. I believe the photo was contemporary to the article, as I don't have any other occasion for the combination of that brooch and outfit together, but there is a possibility that it was an archive picture used to illustrate the text only.

Sorry for the link, GillW, but as you say the Star Brooch of Anne is "similar" to that of The Queen. But you know which picture and which brooch I mean.

The Kent amethyst, I saw that article as well, but as you say, it was an archive picture to illustrate the text of the death of Ian Jenkins.

The Maple Leaf, ah ok, I also thought it was the one from The Queen. Thanks for the help.

The Kent amethyst, I saw that article as well, but as you say, it was an archive picture to illustrate the text of the death of Ian Jenkins.

I looked through my data last night after posting and I have not found any other event where HM wore that combination of outfit & brooch, so it may indeed have been contemporary to the article.

The Queen had an audience with the conferring of a knighthood on the Governor-General of the Solomon Islands; in the current events pages, there is a photograph of The Queen at the side and I think it looks like Queen Mary's Russian brooch which was last worn I believe at Royal Ascot Races last year. Could anyone help?

The Queen had an audience with the conferring of a knighthood on the Governor-General of the Solomon Islands; in the current events pages, there is a photograph of The Queen at the side and I think it looks like Queen Mary's Russian brooch which was last worn I believe at Royal Ascot Races last year. Could anyone help?

Well, you know I can, of course! However, this was the art deco design with a diamond and a cabachon sapphire, rather than the Russion sapphire with a pearl drop. The art deco was last worn 19th November 2007, leaving for the trip to Malta.

No, it is not that one I mean, I mean the one The Queen wore at Ascot on 19 June 2008. Empress Marie Feodorovna, Queen Alexandra's sister, gave the brooch to the later Queen Mary: a large sapphire square-cut diamond and a square cabochon sapphire set in a scroll frame of round diamonds.

I think you mean the one Queen Mary bought from the Dowager Empress Feodorovna's estate in 1929, which is a bit a lookalike of The Duchess of Cambridge pendant brooch (but instead of the central large white stone, this one sports a sapphire one).

I definately mean the first brooch, worn at Ascot, perhaps checking the data. Thank you for the help, I will look up what she wore in Malta. I don't have a real data base to this date, I am only a 26 male and I do not possess anything of 'years and years' to go back.

I looked it up... The Malta outfit worn with the President and for the tree-planting ceremony. It is an outfit in light purple with the same hat with a green feather. It looks one of the Kent amythyst brooches to me. Or am I wrong?

And what brooch was worn by The Queen for the audience for the Solomon Islands Governor-General then?

These Audiences and Investitures at Buckingham Palace/Windsor, rarely have good front on photos of The Queen and the brooch that is worn. Also it is always interesting to follow these Audiences, as sometimes a new or rarely seen brooch appears.

Thank you for the help. I really love The Queen, but she is a tricky person to follow, certainly with outfits and jewellery. She boards the plane in one outfit and re-appears in another; I really would like to be in attendance when she does so. (don't have bad thoughts!), but only to hear and see how it happens. She leaves the daylight beyond in the plane, I can't guess what happens then: Philip, one moment, I have to change! And certainly knowing her background of in fact being educated in the earliest years of her life (pre-1936) to be a 'simple' country lady, I can not imagine that she is that 'idle' (hope that that is the word, not meant negatively) to have 2-3 outfits on one day. I really think that it is an idea of The Queen's dressers. e.g. the change of the brooches on day one of the Indian State Visit: the Blossom Brooch on the coat, normally she pins it to her daydress inside the building, but this time it was the Shell Brooch underneath. Please help me fantasying!
I personally adore that she is 'idle', on sundays I regularly change cufflinks, tie and winter overcoat twice a day in the morning for eucharist and the afternoon to have social things. So, I can perfectly match with The Queen.

I really wonder when Her Majesty The Queen will wear her emerald brooches. I am currently updating my data and see that one Cambridge emereld brooch was worn in 2005; and another scroll Cambr emerald brooch for the wedding in 1992 of the Taylors. Bud sadly no clear photograph of the brooch.

I really wonder when Her Majesty The Queen will wear her emerald brooches. I am currently updating my data and see that one Cambridge emereld brooch was worn in 2005; and another scroll Cambr emerald brooch for the wedding in 1992 of the Taylors. Bud sadly no clear photograph of the brooch.

Very odd - I replied to this last night but it doesn't seem to have appeared!

Anway, the Windsor/Taylor wedding brooch has since been worn -

21-Dec-00 Bangkok - banquet
28-Oct-96 Thailand tour - banquet
03-Nov-92 State Visit - Sultan of Brunei

The more usually worn emerald brooch has been worn in 2008:

04-Apr-08 Windsor - Chilean President Michelle Bachelet

Very nice to see that HM has worn the brooch she presented QEQM for her 100th birthday on the first day of her tour of Bermuda.

http://i46.tinypic.com/2s8o6z6.jpg
Courtesy: tinypic

What a nice mix of brooches we are seeing on this latest tour:

Centenary Rose on arrival
Commonwealth Rose for the first evening
Greater Nizam on the 2nd day (blue coat)
Diamond Paisley (on pastel paisley patterned suit)
Australian Wattle for arrival in Trinidad & Tobago

Hopefully, with more to come! I'd love to see the wheat-ear which was a diamond wedding aniversary gift being worn during this visit....

Oh, is it that one? In my database indicated as 'not named' :)
I really LOVE you, perhaps it is not the word, but I adore your knowledge and your will to help everyone here.
I thought it was the yellow-centred blossom brooch which she wore at the Reception of the first day. you know the one she wore in Northern Ireland, Ascot and Arrival for Indian President, but a bit altered. Luckily you are here!

Oh, is it that one? In my database indicated as 'not named' :)
I really LOVE you, perhaps it is not the word, but I adore your knowledge and your will to help everyone here.
I thought it was the yellow-centred blossom brooch which she wore at the Reception of the first day. you know the one she wore in Northern Ireland, Ascot and Arrival for Indian President, but a bit altered. Luckily you are here!

Amazingly, that was my first impression too, but on looking at the better photos now available it became clear it was not the Irish Blossom after all.

Which brooch has The Queen worn, for the CHOGM meeting?
Also are there clearer/or closerup photos?

Wonder if the doctor bird brooch might make an appearance. I know it is a gift of Jamacia, but... one can hope.

Which brooch has The Queen worn, for the CHOGM meeting?
Also are there clearer/or closerup photos?

Wonder if the doctor bird brooch might make an appearance. I know it is a gift of Jamacia, but... one can hope.

On the apricot and silver suit HM wore the Kensington Bow, with pearl drop.

Thankyou for the Kensington Bow Brooch.
Now The Queen has worn her ruby and diamond brooch, with a multi coloured neckline on a white jacket.

Does anybody else wonder what's going to happen to these brooches when the Queen dies? I understand that some have historical significance and will remain with "the Queen's Jewels" to be worn by successive Queens. But there's gotta be enough there that are her personal property that every member of her family could receive half a dozen or so!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom