Queen Elizabeth II - Brooches 2: Nov 2009-Dec 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wonder what brooch surprises The Queen might have for us, during her Australian tour of 11 days, starting this Wednesday.

I suspect we will definately get to see the Wattle. Any others with an Aussie significance?

Yes the Queen Mums hibiscus brooch from the 1950s.

It is the Australian Wattle brooch. A gift, in 1954, to HMQEII from the Australian government.

This wattle brooch has many rare yellow diamonds in it. In this country we have a great many different species of native wattle trees. In June/July/August [our winter months] in many places the sides of the highways are in full bloom of yellow wattle. It is a pretty sight.

It is the Australian Wattle brooch. A gift, in 1954, to HMQEII from the Australian government.

many thanks. I had thought the Wattle brooch had some darker stones in it, but clearly I was wrong. :)

This wattle brooch has many rare yellow diamonds in it. In this country we have a great many different species of native wattle trees. In June/July/August [our winter months] in many places the sides of the highways are in full bloom of yellow wattle. It is a pretty sight.

I would imagine that the yellow diamonds would also be native to Australia. So many of the beautiful colored diamonds are mined. I am lucky to have a 1/4 carat pink from the Argyle.

I love the pink and turquoise!......and dare I say it? Is that a different brooch on HM than I have seen? (nice on the 1/4 ct pink Kitty!!)

Do you think it's a new brooch? It may be a gift fron the Australian govenment?

:previous:
HM wore the Cartier Flower Brooch while visiting the Floriade [flower] Festival, and is, as so often, appropriate for the occasion.

I didn't mean the flower brooch. Iwas talking about the pearl brooch she wore visiting the grounds of Government House

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think I've seen the pearl, diamond and platinum(?) one in the latest photo, either. The style indicates it could have been made anywhere from 1900 to last week. Puzzlement.

Visit to Australia

Images have been cropped and are not subject of copyright

Attachments

• brooches.jpg
    brooches.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 667
The Queen has worn the diamond Jardine star brooch to The War Memorial, Canberra.
Interesting brown outfit, with covered buttons, which I have not seen before, that is the buttons.

Such a joy to see Her Majesty wearing the Waterfall Brooch this evening at the State Banquet for the Turkish President!

Queen Victoria's Fringe (Waterfall) Brooch

First (known) wearing of the Fringe - aka Waterfall - brooch by the Queen.
Unsurprisingly, it is no accident the brooch made it's debut appearance on HM at the Turkish State Banquet: it includes diamonds presented to Queen Victoria by the Sultan of Turkey in 1856.

According to the list of 'Jewels left to the Crown by Queen Victoria' appearing in 'The Royal Jewels' by Suzy Menkes, the brooch was not "left to the Crown".
It therefore remains the personal property of HM.

Queen Victoria's Fringe (Waterfall) Brooch
v 1 & 2: State Banquet, November 2011, worn as originally intended (thumbnails cropped from much larger images and not subject to copyright)
v 3: Fringe or Waterfall brooch (© The Royal Collection, reproduction permitted in reference to the 2012 exhibition "Diamonds - A Jubilee Celebration")

Attachments

• EIIR brooch Waterfall debut, Turkish State Visit Nov2011.jpg
    EIIR brooch Waterfall debut, Turkish State Visit Nov2011.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 383
  • EIIR Fringe brooch Nov 2011.jpg
    EIIR Fringe brooch Nov 2011.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 356
  • Brooch Fringe (Waterfall) Garrard 1856.jpg
    Brooch Fringe (Waterfall) Garrard 1856.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 1,110
Last edited:
Very good to see HM dig this very special brooch out. Interestingly she chose to not use it when she visited Turkey a few years ago.

In the Turkish State Visit Exhibition gallery the last item is an emerald and diamond brooch given by Sultan Mahmud II to Queen Victoria in 1838:

Turkey State Visit Exhibition Gallery

I've not seen this before and quite like it. It's a shame that it isn't worn, does any one have a photo of it ever having been worn?

First (known) wearing of the Fringe - aka Waterfall - brooch by the Queen.
Unsurprisingly, it is no accident the brooch made it's debut appearance on HM at the Turkish State Banquet: it includes diamonds presented to Queen Victoria by the Sultan of Turkey in 1856.

I love the subtlety of the messages that is conveyed when HM wears brooches, so that's an interesting fact about those being Turkish diamonds in the Waterfall Brooch. I can only imagine how those diamond strands must shimmer and spark with movement.

I think the message is quite politic. It's something a Queen can do for diplomacy in a way no one else can do it.

A large and detailed image of the 'Delhi Durbar' emerald brooch can be found on the Royal Collection site.

Official description:
"Emerald and diamond brooch, probably Garrards.
Presented to Queen Mary at the [1911] Delhi Durbar by the Ladies of India and inherited by The Queen in 1953.
The large hexagonal emerald, in a gold and silver setting encircled by brilliant-cut diamonds, is carved with a rose on the front and a plant on the back."

Yesterday Her Majesty has worn Queen Mary's hexagonal emerald and diamond brooch (the one she put also in the center of a tiara).
ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting
I think I've never seen HM Queen Elizabeth wearing that brooch. Do you know if she's worn it before?

HM has worn this one only rarely and only in recent years:

01-Dec-10
BP- ambassadors - Ambassador of Chile
21-Oct-09
BP - Reception for the Women's Land Army and Timber Corps
02-Dec-08
BP - Investitures - Des O'Connor
06-Dec-07
BP - dignitories - Pres of Phillipines
01-Nov-07
Visit by King Abdullah of Saudi - leaving

That's a magnificent example of the art of intaglio. It almost looks like a Tudor rose carved on the front.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom