Queen Elizabeth II - Brooches 2: Nov 2009-Dec 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not true, the Kensington Bow brooch is more vividly a bow (with an oriental suspending pearl), whilst the Lovers Knot Brooch is more of a tasstle in my opinion, and she wore the Lovers Knot 100% sure.

To GillW - these forums have often mentioned a mythical sea creature brooch - for want of a better name I suppose. Would you happen to have a photo of it for me please. It would help in my count of the brooches. So far I've only counted 83 brooches, but then I've counted the pairs as one not two.

152 Brooches!!! WOW!! Quite the collection the Queen has.

My apologies everyone - Her Majesty was indeed wearing the "Queen Mary Lover's Knot Brooch" - the photograph I was looking at must have been from a previous year! I saw the latest Rememberance Day Photographs in a magazine and noticed my mistake straight away.

Last edited by a moderator:
To GillW - these forums have often mentioned a mythical sea creature brooch - for want of a better name I suppose. Would you happen to have a photo of it for me please. It would help in my count of the brooches. So far I've only counted 83 brooches, but then I've counted the pairs as one not two.

It's not one I've ever been able to identify for sure. Some think it may be one which HM wears in connections with Lancashire, but to me that one is actually a lion with a large feather in front of it, taken from the arms of John of Gaunt. There is a photo of it available :

Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected

Other than that I have been unable to associate the description of "mythical sea creature with any other that I've seen.

On Remembrance Sunday, the Queen wore Queen Mary's Lover Knot brooch, a large brooch which she last wore I think in May 2007 for the State Dinner at the White House. But the fact that she wore it on a day dress is quite superb and it has been a while since that happened. I was happy to see it on her. She looked wauw last Sunday.

The brooch was actually the "Kensington Bow Brooch"

The brooch worn for the Cenotaph wreath laying was definitely - although unusually - the Lover's Knot brooch.
Oops - I should read all the thread before I comment - I see you already saw clearer photos yourself! Sorry!

Does anyone recognize the brooch worn by HM on arrival at Abu Dhabi - coming down the airplane steps? (Not to be confused with the elaborate beading on the long coat worn later over the top of the white dress)

I think the brooch is the multi coloured stone brooch from Sri Lanka.

It is certainly not the Sri Lanka brooch with the multi-coloured stones, and it looks indeed as something big and massive which we haven't seen yet. A short remark: again, as in Slovenia some years ago, I have the impression Queen Mary is back! But it is Elizabeth, damn, I adore her so much.

Does anyone recognize the brooch worn by HM on arrival at Abu Dhabi - coming down the airplane steps? (Not to be confused with the elaborate beading on the long coat worn later over the top of the white dress)

I cannot see a good enough photograph - it seems to be a golden spray of flowers? I can't quite see!! The brooch is one I am unfamiliar with - perhaps a gift from an UAE ruler?

The flame lily brooch is beautiful!

Last edited:
ImageBam - Fast, Free Image Hosting and Photo Sharing

Interesting brooch that has not been seen for some time

I believe this diamond bar is HMs choice for anchoring her Orders sash, vut is often out of site in most photos taken fromt he front. There are other pics of this event where it can't be seen and I think it only came into view after HM put on the new order chain she had just received.

There are better photos of the brooch worn today, but again, one that I'm not familiar with. Does anyone know what the central stone is or any information about it's history?

Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected

Wow - thanks for posting those - this is the one I called the "ruby Albert" as it's style is so similar to the sapphire Albert brooch. It's only been seen very rarely to my knowledge and is mostly seen on quite dark fabrics so it's been hard to see what a pretty pink stone it has at the centre. Fabulous to see it so clearly.
:flowers:

Thank you GillW for replying. This is probably the reason why I am at 83 brooches, as am having trouble trying to identify some. I haven't included the Queen Mums brooches in the tally either. However, Her Majesty is wearing what looks like a completely new brooch on this visit to UAE. Boy she sure knows how to keep us all guessing bringing out something completely new and interesting.

Have we seen the feather brooches before? and I must say Wow; HM looks fantastic in that pale yellow shade. Very lovely.

Have we seen the feather brooches before? and I must say Wow; HM looks fantastic in that pale yellow shade. Very lovely.

These are wheat-ears, and I think they were once worn as hairclips many years ago, but I have never seen HM wear them as brooches before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom