Queen Elizabeth II - Brooches 2: Nov 2009-Dec 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is such a beautiful brooch! It's a dahlia however.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is such a beautiful brooch! It's a dahlia however.
The brooch is known both as Frosted Sunflower and Gold Dahlia. The first name is the one it is most commonly known under though.

Is it? I would love to know where as in all the reference books I have read it is always listed as a dahlia ! The only place I have ever seen it called a sunflower was on the Royal Sartorial ... Site.

:previous:
It has always been referred to as Frosted Sunflower here, RJWMB and all other sources I was able to find but one.
What reference books mention this brooch? I'd really love to know. :)

I've never seen this brooch, and it's lovely. Thank you for posting the picture.

I've never seen this brooch, and it's lovely. Thank you for posting the picture.

This gold flower (whether you want to call it a Sunflower [which it does not resemble] or a Dahlia [which it does] ) it is actually one of HMs favourites and is worn quite often every year. Maybe it doesn't get noticed as much as the big flashy stones.:flowers:

I've never noticed that brooch before,it looks quite delicate!

I really like HM's Frosted Sunflower Brooch, and the Queen Mother's Ruby and Diamond Bouquet Brooch is quite pretty and elegant IMO. However, I don't really like the Gold Trellis Brooch- the silver lilies are pretty but I wouldn't put them on the top of it. The shape of the brooch looks like a sort of butterfly to me.

Abu Dhabi brooch pictured in middle of group of 5

Abu Dhabi & Oman Trip 2010 Brooches

Salma - do you know which brooch is the one shown in middle of your collage of brooches worn during the Queen's Abu Dhabi trip in Nov 2010? I want to add a name to my list! Thanks!

The Jardine Star brooch reappeared today at the Easter Sunday service in Windsor

Last edited:

Attachments

• queen_elizabeth_blue.jpg
    queen_elizabeth_blue.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 410
For today's visit to Mars Chocolate factory, the Queen wore her Pink Sapphire Brooch.

It hasn't been worn all that often in past (I know of a total of 6 appearances through the Queen's reign, including the cover of Angela Kelly's book), but Her Majesty has donned it twice this year already, so maybe it's on a road of becoming a favourite.

Image cropped from much larger one and constitutes less than 20% of the original.

Attachments

• HMBroochRubyAlbertscan0024 - Copy.jpg
    HMBroochRubyAlbertscan0024 - Copy.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 570
Last edited:
The design may not be the most attractive, but that is a beautiful sapphire.

I have always loved that feather brooch. Probably, my favourite one among the Queen's similar jewels (she has at least three feather brooches).

Today, for the investiture at Windsor Castle, the Queen wore the rarely-seen White and Pink Gold Flower Brooch.
It's one of her newer brooches and has first been seen in 2012.

Thanks for the close up - it also helped me see the dress better!
It's just my taste but I find this multi hued gold brooch a bit too too fussy. It looks good on the queen, though.

You are most welcome. I share your sentiments about this brooch: it's nice but nothing special.

The close up of the brooch is from the Indonesian visit, not today's investiture ceremony (we rarely get good close ups from such ceremonies). The fabric of today's dress worn by Her Majesty is very similar to the one she wears here, in the famous 3D Glasses picture. It's not the same dress (the collar and sleeves are different) but the material and beading look almost identical.

:previous:
Spheno, thank you for correction on the dates (Indonesian state visit and the Olympic reception): i have amended that in my post.

Very little is known about the brooch but I am pretty certain the flowers aren't roses, so "Rose Gold Brooch" sounds a bit confusing to me, especially since Her Majesty has other similar gold brooches which actually are roses. I had also not seen the wonderful entry at the HMJV and did not base my name on that article, but simply on what seems to be (to me) the best actual description of the jewel itself until and unless we have more information on its provenance.

In regards to the brooch worn at the Investiture ceremony, I have to disagree. The few pictures that are available aren't the clearest, but having zoomed them to maximum, I just can't see a flower basket of any sorts, and certainly not the multi-gem Flower Basket Brooch. To me, it looks like the brooch the Queen is wearing is a flower one with two blossoms, each with a single stone in the middle. I have attached a magnified (and unfortunately, very unclear) picture of the brooch from the Investiture. The only brooch (again, in my opinion) from the Queen's collection that matches the jewel she is wearing is the White and Pink Gold Flower Brooch (or Rose Gold Brooch).

Of course, you are totally welcome to have a different opinion. :)

Attachments

• C1365600601129191_2.jpg
    C1365600601129191_2.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 303
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom