Queen Elizabeth II - Brooches 2: Nov 2009-Dec 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jubilee brooch

Not impressed by this one at all. Too big for the design - HM even had the pin showing through the big gap between the "wings" which did not look good. I personally doubt we will see this one many times - if ever again.
:ohmy:

Not impressed by this one at all. Too big for the design - HM even had the pin showing through the big gap between the "wings" which did not look good. I personally doubt we will see this one many times - if ever again.
:ohmy:

Agree - it is not an easy and straightforward design - not working for me either.

Oh, I don't know; I rather like the brooch.

Granted, it's not the usual magnificent diamonds and emeralds and sapphires we are used to see on Her Majesty; but it's a nice little piece in its own right, suitable for informal, family occasions. I thought it looked good on the Queen too.

I like it, finding it easy to interpret as a dove. It is contemporary and a bit spare, but I think it is well designed with a presence that doesn't rely on massive gemstones for importance. To the designer, well done!!!

I like it, finding it easy to interpret as a dove. It is contemporary and a bit spare, but I think it is well designed with a presence that doesn't rely on massive gemstones for importance. To the designer, well done!!!

I agree KittyAtlanta - this brooch looks so much better on than in press photos. It did pop against that rich color. I just do not understand how it was allowed out for a showing with the pin portion showing. After all, we have all watched Her Majesty adjust the dinnerware on the table before an official banquet (on the various documentaries that have been done).

The only suitable explanation is that Lady Louise begged to help granny get ready for church. She was told she could help with the brooch and was so proud of her efforts that no one had the heart to fix it after Louise had. At least that's how it would have happened in my family. :lol: :blush: :winkiss:

The brooch looks better worn than just displayed, but it still won't be one of my favorites since I think it's too big. The bar showing so prominently was an oversight on the part of the dresser. And if Her Maj looked in the mirror and didn't notice that either, well, maybe we should chalk it up to some fuzziness from her cold!

Last edited:
I was reading my daily FROM HER MAJESTY"S JEWEL VAULT and saw this: From Her Majesty's Jewel Vault: Church at Sandringham

It is about the Flower Basket Brooch. I have to say that I love having this blog at my fingertips. It is a gift to all jewel magpies, like me, who are on the lazy side and don't keep their own brooch lists. A quick click on the brooch link tells me where and when the Queen wore a piece, and links to pics of the event.

In this case, she often pairs it with bright pink or blue - and often on a suit with black details (how odd, huh?). The brooch often travels to Sandringham and Balmoral for stays there.

It's not the brooch I would covet - but it has a lovely vintage feel and obviously is one tough piece of jewelry. The queen tends to "smile greatly" when she wears it, if you check the pics.

FYI - today the site also did a summary for the year in the wardrobe of the Queen's jewels and it is LOVERLY! :flowers::flowers::flowers:

I think it's nice for Christmas, and I was so glad to see the Queen out and about after being sick. At her age, I worry whenever I hear she's not feeling well.

IIRC isn't The Flower Basket Brooch a Present from her Parents on the brith of Prince Charles?

That could explain why she's always so happy when she wears it.

IIRC isn't The Flower Basket Brooch a Present from her Parents on the brith of Prince Charles?

The Flower Basket Brooch was indeed a present to Princess Elizabeth from George VI and Queen Elizabeth (the Queen Mother) to mark the birth of Prince Charles.

What a lovely and happy sentiment to have associated with a piece of jewelry. The brooch is lovely, and Her Majesty indeed glows when she's wearing it.

The flower basket brooch is a pretty piece but not one of my favorites.

The Most Popular 2012 Year Brooches

1. The Frosted Sunflower Brooch
2. The Aquamarine Clip Brooches
3. The Jardine Star Brooch
4. The Pearl Trefoil Brooch (tied with) The Flower Basket Brooch (tied with) Queen Victoria's Bow Brooches
5. The Cambridge Pearl Pendant Brooch (tied with) The Kent Amethyst Brooch (tied with) The Queen Mother's Palm Leaf Brooch

From Her Majesty's Jewel Vault: 2012: The Year in the Queen's Jewels

The Most Popular 2012 Year Brooches

1. The Frosted Sunflower Brooch
2. The Aquamarine Clip Brooches
3. The Jardine Star Brooch
4. The Pearl Trefoil Brooch (tied with) The Flower Basket Brooch (tied with) Queen Victoria's Bow Brooches
5. The Cambridge Pearl Pendant Brooch (tied with) The Kent Amethyst Brooch (tied with) The Queen Mother's Palm Leaf Brooch

From Her Majesty's Jewel Vault: 2012: The Year in the Queen's Jewels

This is quite a piece of work collating all of these brooch sightings!!!!! However just one small change...the "frosted sunflower" is in fact a dahlia !

Cullinan Brooch

Anyone who subscribe to Majesty Magazine - this month they have a replica of the Cullinan III & IV ("Granny's Chips") which HM wore at the Jubilee Service. It looks to be a very nice copy but it is not cheap at UKP 80.00.

...yes I do have one on order!...:flowers::whistling:

Last edited:
January 26 was the day the famous Cullinan Diamond was found, so a look at the Queen's brooches made from the nine numbered stones:

Cullinan VI and VIII Brooch
Cullinan III and IV Brooch (Granny's Chips)
Cullinan V Brooch (The Heart-Shaped Diamond)

And the Cullinans:
Cullinan IX (set into a platinum ring)
Cullinan II (set in the Imperial State Crown)
Cullinan I (set in the Sovereign's Sceptre with Cross)
Cullinan VII (hanging as a pendant from the Delhi Durbar Necklace)

History of the Cullinan stone.

Attached pictures (cropped from larger ones):
- Cullinan V
- Cullinan VI and VIII
- Cullinan III and IV

Attachments

• 200136-p165-Cullinan-V-Brooch.jpg
    200136-p165-Cullinan-V-Brooch.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 423
  • Cullinan-VI-and-VIII-Brooch-034.jpg
    Cullinan-VI-and-VIII-Brooch-034.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 505
  • Cullinan-3-and-4-Brooch.jpg
    Cullinan-3-and-4-Brooch.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 382
Queen Elizabeth wore the Aquamarine Clips for today's opening of the new MRI unit at The Queen Elizabeth Hospital King's Lynn.
More on the brooch and it's history in this article: The Queen's Boucheron Aquamarine Clips.

Image courtesy of the Royal Collection

Attachments

• R13464114741899313_1.jpg
    R13464114741899313_1.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 427

Attachments

• Brooch.jpg
    Brooch.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 986
  • 1. Parure.jpg
    1. Parure.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 307
I really like these. Not crazy about the fringe tiaras. I like the art deco feel to the pieces. Great pieces were made in the 20's. I know the aquamarines were not created in the 20's. Queen Mary was in high jewel buying mode. This is the reason QEII has so many pieces in the style.

I have to admit, The Brazilian Aquamarine Parure is pretty nice. I hope Camilla or Catherine would wear these in the future.

It's one of the most stunning brooches, I agree.
The whole parure is wonderful.

Wonderful and informative collection above on the Queen's brooches,I'm learning something new every day!

The Brazillian Auqamarine demi-parure is absolutely stunning. That color is exquisite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom