Queen Elizabeth II - Brooches 2: Nov 2009-Dec 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re pics in #777 courtesy of Artemesia. I didn't like the brooch when picturd on the Queen but it looks beautiful in the other picture. I assume that its perspective that makes the difference. Truly amazing diamonds. I prefer it without the dangles but am assuming that the 2 matching pearls could be transformed into earrings - does anyone know if that's possible?

It appears HM has been having fun in her jewelry vaults getting ready for the The Diamond Queen exhibition at BP this summer. In the process she has turned up some infrequently worn gems. Our benefit.

This is lovely and definitley looks like a Queen Mary special.

:previous:
Great picture (and love the caption :D ).
I meant Camilla and/or Kate wearing it; the brooch would lovely on a more modern-style gown.

Re pics in #777 courtesy of Artemesia. I didn't like the brooch when picturd on the Queen but it looks beautiful in the other picture. I assume that its perspective that makes the difference. Truly amazing diamonds. I prefer it without the dangles but am assuming that the 2 matching pearls could be transformed into earrings - does anyone know if that's possible?
Given that the drops are removable, they could be transformed into earrings - but to my knowledge, it hasn't been done so far.
Here are two pictures of Her Majesty wearing the "full" version of the brooch:
- The Queen at the State Dinner for the US President
- An older picture of the Queen

Last edited by a moderator:
Great ID of the Teck Corsage brooch Artemisia! I looked at the Teck brooch in pics - and thought it was not a match - but it is. I think it looks so much more beautiful other than straight on - the dimensionality of the piece is wonderful. Square on it looks flat - but from any angle it is quite a scots mountain!

For Day 4 of the Royal Ascot, the Queen wore the Amethyst Bouquet Brooch.

The brooch consists of 7 amethyst buds, white and yellow ferns and grasses, as well as 12 freshwater pearls from the River Tay. The brooch was given to Her Majesty in 1960, after she opened the Queen's Bridge in Scotland. Since then, it has become one of her favourites and she's worn it on numerous occasions, mainly with purple outfits.

Cropped from larger image and constitutes less than 20% of the original.

Attachments

• article-2163123-13BCA8D4000005DC-992_470x627.jpg
    article-2163123-13BCA8D4000005DC-992_470x627.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 563
Last edited:
I've always wondered where the pearls are on this brooch - I can never see them !

I've always wondered where the pearls are on this brooch - I can never see them !
The pearls are quite tiny - not at all like the usual statement pieces worn by Her Majesty. :)
I've attached a picture of the brooch with the 12 pearls in a red circle; they surround two of the smaller amethysts.

Attachments

• article-2163123-13BCA8D4000005DC-992_470x627.jpg
    article-2163123-13BCA8D4000005DC-992_470x627.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 390
I have decided the Cullinan Brooch is my total favourite ... it's just sooo gorgeous I can't stand it and the Queen does have some stunners but that is the one I love. Thanks for posting such great photos of them all I love looking at them all.
The Queen wears brooches more stylishly than anyone IMO she makes me want to break out and brooch up.

I have to disagree; to me, this does look like the Amethyst Bouquet (Tay Bridge) brooch.
The so-called diamonds are definitely pears, as you can see in the picture I've attached; they are just very small and their positioning reminds diamonds - but that's it. The number of amethysts matches as well. The description of the brooch itself could have been better, but overall I think there is enough evidence to identify this brooch as the Tay Bridge one.

Attachments

• _4_Queen.jpg
    _4_Queen.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 386
For Day 5 of Royal Ascot, the Queen wore the Rhodesian Flame Lily Brooch.
Now, the brooch is gorgeous and I love it, but I was hoping for a more rarely seen piece, perhaps The Williamson, Cullinan V, Cullinan VI and VIII, one of Queen Mary's Emerald and Diamond brooches, one of Queen Victoria's bow brooches, Kensington Bow Brooch, or The Emerald and Diamond Hexagon Brooch - in short, something more.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 249
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 338
Last edited:
Cullinan V, far from being "rarely seen" is usually one of the top 5 most frequently worn of HMs brooches, and the bow brooches are pretty frequent too. HM wore one last week in Nottingham so that may not re-appear for a week or two.
(My photo so I can post it here without copyright problems)
P1030902crop.jpg

Thanks for the picture, GillW. :flowers:
You stood really close to Her Majesty.

I meant rarely-seen this year; I don't think we have seen those brooches all that often (if at all) this year so far.
The Amethyst Brooch, on the other hand, has been worn on at least 4 different occasions (that I remember).

Speaking of rarely seen brooches, do you have any idea when was the last time this brooch made an appearance? I call it Emerald and Diamond Hexagon Brooch, although I believe it's also known as Garrards Emerald and Diamond Brooch.

Last edited:
That's a nice photo GillW,thank you for sharing this!

For Day 5 of Royal Ascot, the Queen wore the Rhodesian Flame Lily Brooch.
I agree; I'd have loved to have seen the Williamson worn; HM's worn the Flame Lily one quite frequently, it seems.

And that is a lovely shot of the Queen, GillW, thanks for sharing.

Speaking of rarely seen brooches, do you have any idea when was the last time this brooch made an appearance? I call it Emerald and Diamond Hexagon Brooch, although I believe it's also known as Garrards Emerald and Diamond Brooch.
The last date I have for the Delhi Emerald is 1st December 2010. I'm afraid I've got a bit behind with my data so I can't say when the most recent wearing of Cullian V was.

Oh yes, and although I was reasonably close, a zoom lens is a wonderful thing! I'd guess we were about 50 yards away.

The last date I have for the Delhi Emerald is 1st December 2010. I'm afraid I've got a bit behind with my data so I can't say when the most recent wearing of Cullian V was.
Thanks for the information; I thought the last time the Emerald Brooch was worn was in December of 2009, for a dinner.

Today, for (another) Jubilee Pageant, Her Majesty wore the lovely Aquamarine Clips.
The Boucheron Aquamarine Clips were a gift from George VI and Queen Elizabeth on the occasion of the Queen's 18th birthday in 1944.
I was able to finally get a really good picture of the clips; it's basically the same as on the Royal Collection website, only larger and clearer.

Image cropped from original and not subject to copyright.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 198
Last edited:
I love the aquamarine clips. Thank you for the wonderful photo! What a fabulous gift to receive for one's 18th birthday. :)

Beautiful; I can just visualize them on the straps of an evening gown. Definitely a fantastic gift to receive on your 18th birthday.

This is the clover leaf brooch

She's in Northern Ireland today, so it's a shamrock brooch. ;) The Queen knows how to flatter her hosts.
Indeed.
When you go into detail of the Queen's (and most often, other royal ladies') sartorial and jewellery choices, you really start to appreciate the thought and effort that's behind them - even though most often, they go unnoticed.

what is the provenance of the shamrock brooch?

Looks to be a new brooch for the Queen - maybe it was a gift she received during the Irish state visit last year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom