Queen Elizabeth II - Brooches 2: Nov 2009-Dec 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:previous:
First (known) wearing of the Fringe - aka Waterfall - brooch by the Queen.
Unsurprisingly, it is no accident the brooch made it's debut appearance on HM at the Turkish State Banquet: it includes diamonds presented to Queen Victoria by the Sultan of Turkey in 1856.

It was very nice to see the Waterfall brooch making an appearance :) And how thoughtful on HM's (Angela Kelly's) part to wear it at the Turkish State Banquet. I hope we'll also get to see it next year during the Jubilee celebrations.

Bobby

Today, while browsing the net, I came across this photograph of The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh (see link) and I was stuck by HM's jewels, the brooch in particular. It appears to be a large diamond disc with a coloured stone (amethyst) in the middle. Would any of our expersts here know more about it? Also, what was the occasion? Must've been something rather special, judging by the jewels worn.

You can see the photo here

Bobby

Last edited:
This is a Scottish Cloak Brooch.
Worn when opening the first Scottish Parliament, I think.
Nothing known about it.
This is its 1st and only appearance, as far as I remember.

Today, while browsing the net, I came across this photograph of The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh (see link) and I was stuck by HM's jewels, the brooch in particular. It appears to be a large diamond disc with a coloured stone (amethyst) in the middle. Would any of our expersts here know more about it? Also, what was the occasion? Must've been something rather special, judging by the jewels worn.

You can see the photo here

Bobby

However, it is not a cirlce of diamonds, simply metalwork - probably silver or white gold, set with a large single central stone, in traditional style.

A new brooch?
Is this brooch 1 of the yet unseen 2 remaing diamond flower brooches.
What is The Queen wearing on her right shoulder?

IMG-47.jpg

However, it is not a cirlce of diamonds, simply metalwork - probably silver or white gold, set with a large single central stone, in traditional style.
Could it be one of the pebbles that Queen Victoria had set? It looks rather rough.

joye said:
A new brooch?
Is this brooch 1 of the yet unseen 2 remaing diamond flower brooches.
What is The Queen wearing on her right shoulder?

It is an appliqueéd panel on the dress

Regiment brooch is beautifully made with the maple leaf, canon depicting the regiment and the crown etc. Very well done for a modern piece. The maple leaf motif will make it unmistakable as to its origins when she wears it in the future.

With her Diamond jubilee celebrations next year, wonder what lovely pieces she might receive from other Commonwealth countries?

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe, instead of wasting all this money making useless jewelry, that she doesn't need, they could donate money to build a hospital, give health care to umpteen children or help people in need in her name. Many of the Commonwealth countries are third world nations, this is so egregious a waste, it makes me sick.

I wasn't aware that any third world Commonwealth nations had given the Queen any gifts whatsoever for her Diamond Jubilee.

I cant imagine in what universe one must live to think Canada was a 3rd world nation, besides which the brooch wasn't a gift from the nation but from a regiment and paid for by donations.

..it makes me sick.
Oh dear, that's unfortunate.
If a regimental brooch can bring about such an extreme reaction, for the sake of your health you may need to avoid the jewels threads entirely.

Not a brooch which will be worn often - I'm not a fan of this type of gift

I would think this type of brooch will have limited usage and only be worn at regimental reviews or any occasion/commemoration dealing with the military. I don't think this would be worn as an accessory the way HM does with her other brooches.

Last edited:
It reminds me I'd what we call here a "spider Lilly" flower- quite lovely in diamonds!

Maybe, instead of wasting all this money making useless jewelry, that she doesn't need, they could donate money to build a hospital, give health care to umpteen children or help people in need in her name. Many of the Commonwealth countries are third world nations, this is so egregious a waste, it makes me sick.

And maybe my family and friends should donate money to Africa instead of giving me christmas and birthday gifts. And maybe I should donate money to Red Cross instead of buying new shoes and clothes (and chocolate) I could probably survive without (I think)...

Everyone deserves a little pampering now and then. At least jewelry will give us something to look at. And really it is a great deal more useful than some gifts the royals receive.

But yes, I think the Queen would be happy about a donation in her name as well. But that is their choice - not the Queen's and not our.

A bit more on topic ( ;) ): I really like the Flame Lily brooch. Actually I like most flower brooches.

That is a beautifully substantial sapphire with stunning color and gorgeous diamonds. Prince Albert sure had taste. I wouldn't mind a copy of this myself, only the genuine article of course!!

This brooch is beautiful, one of the best in HM's possession. She really knows how to wear the brooches.

Wonderful picture, well done for sharing it with us all.
Very nice to see the fringe necklace in use, as well as what I think are the Greville earrings and the brooch from the stomacher.

Last edited by a moderator:
Could anyone identify the brooch the Queen wore for today's ceremony?
I know I've seen it before but no matter how hard I try, the name just eludes me.

Good Heavens, these are grandiose photos of grandiose objects.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom