Queen Elizabeth II - Brooches 1: December 2003-October 2009

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Queen has worn the Dorset Bow Brooch today, to judge sandcastles in Dorset County.
Nice touch.

Yes indeed - she was at Weymouth in Dorset. We should have anticipated really! Nice to see this one other than on Poppy (Armistice) Day - it's HM's favourite for anchoring her poppies onto a black coat.

:previous:
Here's a close-up pic from the event... Dorset Bow Brooch

Another event from yesterday; same outfit, different brooch:
Beating the Retreat at Horse Guards Parade.
Prince Philip is the Royal Marines Captain-General... Regimental Brooch

both pics courtesy iceflower

Last edited:
I have always loved this stunning brooch! Haven't seen it in awhile. The getty pic is great! You can really see how huge it is!!

Can anyone tell me what the Queen´s dressmaker does to strengthen the material behind the brooches? Nothing shows and the really heavy brooches stay exactly straight and no drooping forward.
I have some very heavy gold brooches that I never wear because they seem to want to tear themselves out of whatever they are placed on.

I only wish I knew - I have the same problems with mine!:flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't decide if I like it,but that brooch is really something!

There is an iron-on (heat fusible) interfacing that comes in light, medium and heavy weight which could be used to reinforce the fabric. :flowers:

I can't decide if I like it,but that brooch is really something!

The Trooping the Colour insignia badge (worn customarily at Trooping the Colour each year recently), is actually a combined badge for the Guards and shows a combination of miniature insignia from the Grenadier Guards, the Coldstream Guards the Scots Guards and the Irish Guards. I believe it is one which Queen Mary also used to wear on occasions. Of course it is not about style, design or taste, but is worn in tribute to the Regiments. The Queen only started to wear this at the parade after she stopped riding on hoseback.

GillW May I know why you think this badge was Q. Mary's please?
What reference might you have please?
I know that The Queen is presented at varying intervals with regimental badges on jubilees, or anniversaries for the regiments.

Of course it is not about style, design or tase, but is worn in tribute to the Regiments. The Queen only started to wear this at the parade after she stopped riding on hoseback.
I love that. It gives the brooch a whole new part of it's history and pays personal homage that she obviously feels is needed in lieu of her mounted participation. :cool:

I love that. It gives the brooch a whole new part of it's history and pays personal homage that she obviously feels is needed in lieu of her mounted participation. :cool:

This is more about protocol - when in uniform HM wore her badges and Orders, but now in "civvies" that would not be "correct", so it becomes appropriate to wear the badge of the Regiments as their Colonel in Chief.

I have a photo of the medallion as worn by Queen Mary but of course nowadays it is worn as a brooch rather than a pendant:

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r181/gillweb/Troopinsignia-qumaryspendant-Untitl.jpg

Today at Ascot - am I right - is HM wearing the recently debuted "Irish Blossom" on that egg-yolk coloured coat?? All the pictures I've seen are partially obscured....

Today at Ascot - am I right - is HM wearing the recently debuted "Irish Blossom" on that egg-yolk coloured coat?? All the pictures I've seen are partially obscured....

Totally right - the BBC coverage showed a lovely closeup but this picture is the best i have found so far

Gill, there's a better photo here (scroll down to the last picture near the bottom).
Maybe an understatement, but the brooch appears to contain quite a few carats of diamonds...

Gill, there's a better photo here (scroll down to the last picture near the bottom).
Maybe an understatement, but the brooch appears to contain quite a few carats of diamonds...

Thanks for the pointer Warren. Today I had the foresight to set to "record" - only to be gutted to hear the "expert" (HA!) say that the Cullinan V brooch "is SO rarely worn - we are REALLY lucky to see it here today"

Sigh - it's currently number one brooch in my database (due to some older research) with a recorded 133 wearings traced so far!!:nonono:

Thanks for the pointer Warren. Today I had the foresight to set to "record" - only to be gutted to hear the "expert" (HA!) say that the Cullinan V brooch "is SO rarely worn - we are REALLY lucky to see it here today"

Sigh - it's currently number one brooch in my database (due to some older research) with a recorded 133 wearings traced so far!!:nonono:

I know i was quite annoyed to hear him it gets it wrong quite often in fact i was nearly tempted to email the BBC and inform them that this was one of the Queen's favourites brooches

ascot picture by Yoeri - Photobucket

I was at Royal Ascot at the First Day and I hope that these pictures will be of interest for 'Brooch watchers'.

I have to confess that I was a bit disappointed by The Queen's appearance. I don't like her choice on Opening Day. But anyway, I saw her from a very close distance and in the Royal Enclosure gardens I saw her and could bow to her and receive a smile, I was pictured with Princess Michael of Kent, greeted The Duchess of Cornwall and The Prince of Wales and followed the Princess Royal regularly from the Pre Parade ring to the Parade ring to inspect the horses and their jockeys.

It was a perfect day out and certainly one to remember. Now I am back at work, because my wallets are empty, because I really took all the aspects of Ascot: champagne (£ 17 / glass), betting on The Queen's dress (I choose green and it was yellow), ...

Gill, Warren - Sorry if I am being slow here, but is there any information as to the provenance of this brooch?

The Queen is amazing. You would think that as she got older the clothes would become more somber. There were years when we didn't see that many different brooches. But, here she is in another new outfit with a huge brooch on!! Fantastic!!

Gill, Warren - Sorry if I am being slow here, but is there any information as to the provenance of this brooch?

Absolutely none that has come to light as yet. This is only the 2nd time we have seen this being worn, so maybe something will appear sooner or later - just not yet....:blink:

Wauw, again the Williamson pink for The Queen during the Holyrood Garden Party.

I doubt whether it was the Duchess of Cambridge pendant brooch or the combined brooch with Cullinan VI and VIII during the audiences at the Palace of Holyroodhouse. Perhaps anyone has seen clearer pictures of having a better eye than I have.

I doubt whether it was the Duchess of Cambridge pendant brooch or the combined brooch with Cullinan VI and VIII during the audiences at the Palace of Holyroodhouse. Perhaps anyone has seen clearer pictures of having a better eye than I have.

It was the Cullinan VI-VIII at the audiences at Holyrood.

I bought the new book with lots of photographs named Queen Elizabeth II, a book on sale in the Buckingham Palace shop and highly recommended in Majesty. There is a picture taken in 1944 on The Queen's 18th birthday. I think a lot of you will know the photograph with The Queen's parents and sister. The Queen Mother wore a hat with a Scottish thistle on the front. Could that be the brooch The Queen wore on the first day of Holyrood Week with The Princess Royal?

Photos from behind made it impossible to see what The Queen wore as brooch, but from an invitee, I received a photo that it was the diamond City of London brooch she wore on 7 July, the first Garden Party.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom