Queen Elizabeth II - Brooches 1: December 2003-October 2009

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a beautiful brooch! It reminds me of something the Queen Mother might have worn. I've been through all of my books and saved photographs and cannot find a match that suits the dimensions--
some one must have a photo somwhere!

some one must have a photo somwhere!

Unless this IS brand new - HM recently had her birthday, after all. Maybe Charles or Philip splashed out on this rather pretty "trinket".....

diamond brooches

I don’t think that I have seen this one before. Its is a good size, are they diamond daisies- its a very nice pice

Actually The Queen has 2 diamond rose spray brooches that have never been seen.

. It looks like the Centenary Rose Brooch is the right one, you don't happent to have a picture do you?.
There's a sharper picture on Wiki - here.
(click on the pic after it opens to make it even bigger)

Last edited:
Diamond glitter!

One for Gill...

12 May 2009. The Queen at the inauguration of the South Hook Liquefied Natural Gas Terminal in Milford Haven, Wales.

The Cullinan V heart brooch (18.8 carats)

She opened the terminal accompanied by the Emir of Qatar (it was financed by the Qatari Ruling Family) which may explain why she chose one of her more substantial pieces.

courtesy of iceflower in the British forum

Beautiful brooch. Queen Elizabeth has the most beautiful and spectacular brooches I ever seen:flowers:

Anyone able to find out which brooch Her Majesty wore for the service and lunch for the members of the Order of Merit? Nice outing of the Flower basket during the visit to Heinz Foods in Wigan.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually The Queen has 2 diamond rose spray brooches that have never been seen.

Hi Joye I was wondering - could this be one of those 2 rose brooches? If it is, then that's one that has been found, so do you have any information on where it originated?

If it isn't one of those two, do you know anything about this one? It is photographed when HM was visiting Lithuania, 19 October 2006.

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r181/gillweb/rigarosebud.jpg

Does anyone think the Queen helps pick out her brooches or any other jewels? I have often wondered if she has grown tired of the whole process or if she really does have a love for jewels and really takes part in what she feels like wearing as opposed to just approving it! What do you think? Gill,Warren anyone?

Does anyone think the Queen helps pick out her brooches or any other jewels? I have often wondered if she has grown tired of the whole process or if she really does have a love for jewels and really takes part in what she feels like wearing as opposed to just approving it! What do you think? Gill,Warren anyone?

I really have no inside knowledge, but I like to think that probably the dresser puts out a selection of appropriate brooches to match or compliment the outfit of the day - maybe including any "respect" items linked to the occasion/event/location or people involved, and then HM has the last word - maybe even suggesting one that the dresser hasn't thought of...and that the final word is hers alone.

Naturally, the dresser must be well informed about relevant insignia and badges to include too.....

Yes, GillW, I think you are right, and I really think that a sort of 'record' is kept what The Queen has worn on similar occasions, both dress and jewelry. An exemple, Obama came to London; if there follows a sort of official visit of state visit in the future, it would be (to my feeling) unappropriate for The Queen to wear a pink outfit with Williamson pink brooch again for the Welcoming Ceremony. Although, perhaps the exemple is not that good, because that brooch does not very often see the daylight, but I think that the comparison is clear?

Very good to see the Kent amethyst brooch being worn recently - has the necklace and earrings seen the light of day in years? They are fabulous! Why has she never got a tiara to match?

Very good to see the Kent amethyst brooch being worn recently - has the necklace and earrings seen the light of day in years? They are fabulous! Why has she never got a tiara to match?

The only time she has worn the necklace and earrings that I know of was during a State Visit to Portugal in 1985:
Getty Images - Queen Elizabeth II in Portugal wears a necklace and brooch o

Getty Images - Queen State Banquet Portugal

Getty Images - Queen Jewels

I have to say, I love this set. Large amethysts like this are amazing to look at. I think these are a little ornate for QEII's taste though--she tends to prefer some "simpler" items. As for a tiara, Field states that there are two hair combs that match the pieces. I sure would love to see them--or just dismantle them and create a nice tiara a'la Queen Slivia:
Getty Images - Wedding Of Danish Crown Prince Frederik and Mary Donaldson

http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/5...37684,50837677,50837674,50837672,50837660|120

http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/5...36550,50836546,50836542,50836503,50836490|240

Victoria wearing the amethyst tiara:
http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/1...813,1544482,1544477,1544472,1544470,1544469|0

Last edited:
Quite - I didn't think they'd seen the light of day since Portugal. Oh well, at least the brooch got a look in. Have to say it is very mean of her if she isn't going to wear them not to share them round - Camilla would look fab in that set.

Anyways... back to the brooches!

The only time she has worn the necklace and earrings that I know of was during a State Visit to Portugal in 1985:
Getty Images - Queen Elizabeth II in Portugal wears a necklace and brooch o

Getty Images - Queen State Banquet Portugal

Getty Images - Queen Jewels

i have to say , it the first that i know that the queen have this fabulous peace :eek: i don't know why she don't use it or to give it to the duchess to wear it i agree with previouse poste she wll looks satnning , spaecilay camilla loves to wear big peaces :)

The story I read, was, that Portugal had changed the colour of their order sash, and the dress The Queen was to wear would have clashed. So.. another colour dress was chosen to go with the new colour sash. And the Kent demi parure went beautifully with the lilac/lavender colour dress that was worn in Portugal in 1984.
The kent amethysts demi parure, are the oldest jewellery in the British collection. They were pieces belonging to Q. Victoria's mother, the Duchess of Kent. She left them to her daughter, who in turn left them to be Crown Jewels.
We have yet to see, 2 brooches and hair combs that belong to this demi parure.

Hi Joye I was wondering - could this be one of those 2 rose brooches? If it is, then that's one that has been found, so do you have any information on where it originated?

If it isn't one of those two, do you know anything about this one? It is photographed when HM was visiting Lithuania, 19 October 2006.

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r181/gillweb/rigarosebud.jpg
Looking at this photo, you have provided, I cannot think that this brooch looks like a spray of roses.
Nice as it is, the smooth line makes me wonder if it is diamonds. Maybe RJWMB experts might make comments of the style and the material in the brooch. The brooch looks to me like spring blooms.

Looking at this photo, you have provided, I cannot think that this brooch looks like a spray of roses.
Nice as it is, the smooth line makes me wonder if it is diamonds. Maybe RJWMB experts might make comments of the style and the material in the brooch. The brooch looks to me like spring blooms.

I have also wondered about the structure as it does not clearly appear to be gem-set. I pondered if it may be sculpted metal - white gold or platinum perhaps, as it does not appear to sparkle from any pictures I've seen. So is this a new one to you Joye? Did you already have it noted, with or without any provenance?

It looked to me like a closed rosebud, but I suppose these things as always are in the eye of the beholder :flowers:

Compare this rosebud picture (Painting by Dee Toms) - I think it is very similar, but that the brooch has the green sepals folded back (as some varieties do at various stages of blooming)

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r181/gillweb/rosebud.jpg

My understanding is that it is the 2 brooches and hair combs. Amethysts are not a favourite gemstione of The Queen.

I was in London for four days and I discovered a postcard of HM The Queen wearing the blue coat and matching hat with the trim in a colourful design, which was worn as well for the Banquet in 1997 at the Banqueting Hall on the invitation of Tony Blair at which The Queen and The Duke celebrated their 50th Wedding anniversary.
But I think she wore the Cullinan V at that Banquet. Now, I discovered a postcard with the same outfit but with a different brooch, an anonymous and for me unseen brooch in a unseen shape. I will scan and post it in the near future, but perhaps someone is aware when The Queen wore this outfit again and with which brooch.
I will be at Birthday Parade and at Opening Day of Royal Ascot in the Royal Enclosure, so hopefully I can make some nice photographs from a short distance.

I know which one you mean - I have that exact same postcard!

This seems to be some kind of creature that might appear on a coat of arms. I feel it may be linked to the Northwest of England as I have two appearances for it, one in Liverpool in July 1999 (seen in the postcard) and also in Lancashire in May 2006, on a green coat (below) It is very hard to find a really close, clear photo of it, however.

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r181/gillweb/71060699.jpg

. . . . .

Since I wrote this earlier, I have done some intensive searching and think I may have an idea of the design of this brooch.

The closest I can see it seems to be a gold lion "statant guardant" (that is, standing, head turned towards the viewer) with a "label" across it's throat signifying the first heir to a title (like a bar with three legs {or "pendants"} on it) and in front of the lion seems to be possibly a silver upright feather, with a curve towards the right (as viewed) on the top.

I found a website about heraldic devices and came across some similar lions but without the "label". Lion: Sample Lions in Heraldry

You can see a lion with such a "label" here:
Royal Coats of Arms; Queen Elizabeth, Prince Charles, Prince William

On another website I found that a feather - or "plume" of rather similar design related to "the ermine ostrich feathers of John of Gaunt who kept his Duchy of Lancaster court in Norfolk"

Plume: CIVIC HERALDRY OF ENGLAND AND WALES-NORFOLK

It all seems to make sense, as the Queen is the Duke of Lancaster, and if visiting that County it would be natural for her to wear an insignia wtih links to the area.

Comments....?

GillW, you are really incredible. I saw this in London and I really thought about you, but you can be right, because this is not a style of brooches the Queen chooses to wear and for that reason not seen very often. So, the best thing is to call the brooch "Lancaster Brooch", perhaps it is also something like "Ladies of Lancaster", like we saw it with the Ladies of Surrey brooch, ...

And if she has worn the brooch on visits to the region, it can be that it is associated there. But I am only since 2009 listing the outfits and the jewelry, so I can not know what she has worn with what on occasions in the past, as you can. I only can recall whether she has worn something before or not.

The Queen has worn the Dorset Bow Brooch today, to judge sandcastles in Dorset County.
Nice touch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom