Queen Elizabeth II - Brooches 1: December 2003-October 2009

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I certainly appreciate your nomination - that would be lovely!

This year's data shows so far that in 2009:
Victoria's Bow is number one with 4 appearances
The Cambridge Pearl with drop is second with 3 appearances
Third are the Jardine Star and the Australian Hibiscus flower, jointly with 2 appearances each

There have been a number of one-off appearances, so HM seems to be going for a good mix & match strategy so far...

But, as for which one would I like to see? That is a REALLY hard question!

On reflection I think it would be one which has had only one wearing (27 March 2000) that I'm aware of. It's a lovely spray of gold stems with large oval Opals, and was a wedding gift from the Returned Sailors and Soldiers & Airmen's Imperial League of Australia. It is hard to find any pictures of it at all, although I do have one but I don't have permission (in fact I promised never) to publish it.

I'm going to resist the temptation to start adding more choices by saying "...OR...."
:flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
Not that anyone asked my opinion but if Her Majesty was to let me say 'borrow' a brooch I love love love the cabachon emerald brooch from her Magnificent collection of cabachon emeralds!! So beautiful. Its really breathtaking to me!!! Gill, sorry you can't post the opal pic, would love to see it!!

I have actually been very close to the Queen when she was wearing the cabochon emerald! It was many years ago, before I really noticed royal jewels (can you believe that!!!! :ROFLMAO:) It was the first time I had met a pen-friend although we had been writing for a few months. As the Queen approached our vantage point, my friend gasped "Oh, she's wearing Queen Mary's emerald brooch...!" I looked at her sideways & wondered what kind of extremist knew pieces of jewellery by name....

Well, many years later, this same friend now emails me to ask my opinion on brooches and to verify information about pieces...who would ever have guessed that I would evolve into some minor authority on the subject ...:lol:

That calla brooch has been on the royal coat again yesterday. I realise that the brooch has been worn very little in the past, and now (since I am studying the royal brooches), we already saw the Calla brooch about three times in the past months: during the Vodaphone visit on the red outfit, during the Flitcham Primary school visit on the pink herringbone wool coat and now again on a coat, which in my opinion (together with the nice hat) has been worn for the last time I think during the golden jubilee celebrations in 2002.

I have one earlier wearing of that coat, with the "knot" hat, and that was 5th Feb 2001 to attend West Newton Church (with the Cambridge pearl brooch on that occasion)

It certainly seems to be an exciting year for a fresh selection being brought out.

Fields or Menkes quotes The Queen having 127 brooches, .... but that was long years ago.
My count is up to

I notice that I didn't finish this post.
My tally of brooches is 144, with more to add.

Joye, do you count official badges & insignia for orders in your tally or is it of purely "decorative" brooches?
:ohmy:

Oh wow - for meeting the Obama's I see HM has brought out the beautiful Williamson Pink Jonquil - how lucky are they to get to see it, and I bet they never even noticed!

I saw HM in person once, and I haven't any idea what she was wearing. It was one of the very few times in my life that I have been so starstruck that I basically blanked. I bet it happens a lot when people meet HM for the first time.
Wow. Thank you so much for your count. I had no idea it was that high--very amazing.

Oh wow - for meeting the Obama's I see HM has brought out the beautiful Williamson Pink Jonquil - how lucky are they to get to see it, and I bet they never even noticed!

I saw the brooch when it was on display in Buckingham Palace and it is beautiful especially the very large pink diamond

Two comments - a bit of trivia.

In the Royal Collection of Mexican items, they showed a brooch that
was presented to the Queen on one of her visits there. Not a style she would probably wear.

And

Brooches have definitely come back in style. The First Lady Michelle
gave Sarah Brown a brooch as a gift on her visit to Downing Street !!

I found pictures for all the brooches on the "top 10" list, except for
the one mentioned as "City of London -- diamond grasses".

Where could I find a photo of that particular one?

Here's a pic of the Williamson brooch containing what was at the time the largest pink diamond in the world...

The Obamas are introduced to the Williamson pink diamond brooch

Here's a 2½ minute BBC video of HM greeting assorted G20 dignitaries:
BBC NEWS | UK | Queen greets G20 leaders
The Williamson can be seen sparkling at the very beginning and there are some better close-ups around the 1.40 mark. Not spectacular footage, but better than nothing!
The EIIR-Michelle Obama "hug" is also partly captured. Worth watching. :)

Last edited:
Queen's brooches

Joye, do you count official badges & insignia for orders in your tally or is it of purely "decorative" brooches?
:ohmy:
They are all brooches. I am adding another 6 this week.

They are all brooches. I am adding another 6 this week.

I'd love to know how our lists compare. I can understand if you would rather not discuss this publicly (I sent you a private message a few days ago) but I'm fascinated by how I could have missed so many from my research.

6 more to add too?

Could you consider sharing some information on them as I'm really intrigued that I could be lacking so many? I would respect the privacy of your research if you could think about contacting me. I'm making a great deal of effort to keep my listings as comprehensive as possible, and if I've been leaving out or overlooking more than 30 items it rather makes a mockery of my data. :ermm::flowers:

Can anyone see which brooch Her Majesty wore for the end of the State Visit of the Mexican President as she formally bade farewell to the Mexican couple?

Can anyone see which brooch Her Majesty wore for the end of the State Visit of the Mexican President as she formally bade farewell to the Mexican couple?

I'm sure you've seen the photos which are not very clear, but from what I can make out a good guess would be the Cullinan V.

It doesn't appear to be a floral spray, nor a bow brooch, not the trefoil, but does seem to have a large-ish central stone. As it doesn't appear to be round, which would eliminate the Nizam rose and the William IV (although that might be another good possibility) It doesn't appear long & thin and has no visible colour, nor obvious pearls.

I have no clue--it looked a little the trefoil to me but the photos of the farewell are horribly placed for optimum brooch viewing!

Is this the William IV brooch? I never realized how large it is. It's stunning.
Getty Images - Britain's Queen Elizabeth II arrives at

Yes, that's the one. It was the apparently large central stone in the "Mexican farewell" photos that made me think it might be that one. Actually, there is a photo on Isifa with HM facing the camera, but it is still not clear - and it looks somewhat smaller than I first thought, so it may be something much less imposing than either the Cullinan V or the William IV, but that's anybody's guess....
http://www.isifa.com/detail_cr.php?id=21847086

I enlarged the photograph of the Isisa website and I really think it is the Cullinan V heart brooch, but it is a guess; but it is certainly not the William IV.

Has anyone managed to track down pictures showing which one HM wore for the Windsor investiture yesterday? (7th April) - The few I've seen are all from the wrong angle and no sign of the brooch can be seen.

I thought Maundy Service was on the 9th?
That is a beautiful brooch, a leaf made of diamonds. :D
x

Maundy is always on the Thursday preceding Good Friday.
Yes, this paisley in diamonds was the Queen Mothers - as far as I have seen this is only the 2nd time HM has worn it in public. I think it is rather lovely - beautiful stones in an unusual setting. Let's hope it appears many more times.

Now we can look forward to Easter Sunday Church, with another nice spring-like outfit and a big sparkly accessory, I hope :flowers:

Love this brooch, don't remember ever seeing it before....and the list goes on!!!;)

Love this brooch, don't remember ever seeing it before....and the list goes on!!!;)

The diamond paisley design brooch was a favorite of the late Queen Mother, and had now become part of the collection of brooches worn by the Queen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom