The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 08:49 PM
Gentry

"20 November 2008 Audience with The President of Israel, Mr. Shimon Peres
???"

??? is an understatement. There is not one picture of this ceremony posted anywhere that I can find with Her Majesty facing the camera! But, I must say that those are lovely candle holders Mr. Peres presented her with.

Thank you for the list. I am slowly learning about the different pieces.

Old 12-12-2008, 03:07 AM
Royal Highness

How many brooches does HM have? It must be more than or close to 100

Old 12-12-2008, 04:17 AM
Nobility

No, the ??? indicate that I actually don't know which brooch has been worn.
The actual number of brooches is difficult to say because when you remember the sash brooch for the State Dinner at Windsor with the Sarkozy's, Her Majesty The Queen wore an apparantly new brooch, but it was actually the 1937 Sunburst Brooch, worn by Queen Mary for the last time at the Coronation of King George VI. So, it was a first outing in this Elizabethan reign.
Old 12-12-2008, 04:59 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by GillW View Post
I believe this folded net brooch with the three diamond leaves may have been one of HM's wedding gifts. She does not wear this one very often. It currently stands at number 27 in the data I have collected, and I have only 13 wearings (including Vodaphone)
I just realized that this is the same brooch pictured in the first photo on the first page of Thread!
Old 12-14-2008, 06:56 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenElizabeth View Post
No, the ??? indicate that I actually don't know which brooch has been worn.
The actual number of brooches is difficult to say because when you remember the sash brooch for the State Dinner at Windsor with the Sarkozy's, Her Majesty The Queen wore an apparantly new brooch, but it was actually the 1937 Sunburst Brooch, worn by Queen Mary for the last time at the Coronation of King George VI. So, it was a first outing in this Elizabethan reign.
So far I have identified 113 individual brooches and insignia, with over 1,800 dated appearances. There are a few more which I have seen in photos but for which I don't have a date. I've been working on my database of HM's brooches for 3 or 4 years and I continue to keep it as up to date as possible, and back-fill whenever I find new information. I also keep two illustrated folders with a page for each brooch, giving all the information I have been able to find so far.

The brooch for greeting The President of Israel, Mr. Shimon Peres, was the blue centred daisy.
Old 12-23-2008, 11:32 AM
Nobility

Is anyone familiar with two ruby brooches Her Majesty The Queen possesses?
On Maundy Thursday in Northern Ireland, Her Majesty wore a brooch with rubies; she wore another ruby brooch on the red coat during the State Visit to Slovakia. But the two are not the same. One of the two is The Queen Mother's Australian Hybiscus Brooch as told here. Which one, and which one is the other then?
Old 12-23-2008, 12:11 PM
Royal Highness

In all matters of the Queen's Brooches I refer to GillW; her database is remarkable!

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 12-25-2008, 06:53 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbcode99 View Post
In all matters of the Queen's Brooches I refer to GillW; her database is remarkable!
Thanks for the compliment! I'll do my best - Firstly, today (25th December 2008) I was delighted to see that HM wore another of her late mother's brooches, the elegant "Paisley" design in diamonds.

The Hibiscus brooch is the one with a fairly large diamond flower with a centre of small rubies.

The ruby spray as worn for Maundy Thursday is also one which belonged to her mother, and is a large but delicate floral spray. I've only seen her wear it on that one occasion so far.

These are dates I have for the Hibiscus if you want to search for them on the photo sites:

23-Oct-08 Slovakia - arrival
10-Apr-08 Britannia Royal Naval College, Dartmouth.
02-Jul-07 Dundee
15-Dec-06 Sandhurst Sovereign's Parade
19-Oct-06 Lithuania State Visit - Estonia (Arrive)
14-May-06 Royal Windsor Horse Show
15-Mar-06 Aus - Opening Comm games
Old 12-26-2008, 05:21 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Thanks for the compliment! I'll do my best - Firstly, today (25th December 2008) I was delighted to see that HM wore another of her late mother's brooches, the elegant "Paisley" design in diamonds.
http://i492.photobucket.com/albums/r...istmas2008.jpg

Quote:
The Hibiscus brooch is the one with a fairly large diamond flower with a centre of small rubies.
http://i492.photobucket.com/albums/r...ovakiaDay1.jpg

Quote:
The ruby spray as worn for Maundy Thursday is also one which belonged to her mother, and is a large but delicate floral spray.
http://i492.photobucket.com/albums/r...008Ireland.jpg

Old 12-26-2008, 07:02 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
The ruby spray as worn for Maundy Thursday is also one which belonged to her mother, and is a large but delicate floral spray. I've only seen her wear it on that one occasion so far.

Having been one of those in Armagh that day - i can say this has become one of my favourite brooches as the diamonds were fantastic you could see them glinting at the other end of the cathedral. It is a very large impressive piece and i hope she wears it again

Old 12-28-2008, 09:59 AM
Heir Presumptive

I would love to see long velvet trays of the Queens brooches at once. They are just so unbelievable. I get so confused with the shear volume that she has!!!!!
Old 12-30-2008, 09:00 AM
Nobility

Could anyone inform me about the Jardine Star brooch Her Majesty The Queen wore for exemple at the Centenary Service of the Knights Bachelor at St. Paul's Cathedral. She wore a fantastic coat and hat as well.
Old 12-30-2008, 01:59 PM
Royal Highness

I know that GillW will know more (and have fantastic photographs, hint hint) but I believe the Lady Jardine star brooch was left to the Queen in the early 80's by Lady Jardine. That is all I know, though.

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 12-30-2008, 03:52 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubies View Post
I would love to see long velvet trays of the Queens brooches at once. They are just so unbelievable. I get so confused with the shear volume that she has!!!!!
One of my favourite fantasies!! However I suspect, from glimpses we get now & again, that each one has a beautiful presentation box of it's own, and so will be stored away from our prying eyes each in their own little cell of darkness - how sad! I'd love to go along & help the person responsible for their care & cleaning......
Old 12-30-2008, 04:13 PM
Courtier

Quote:
I know that GillW will know more (and have fantastic photographs, hint hint) but I believe the Lady Jardine star brooch was left to the Queen in the early 80's by Lady Jardine. That is all I know, though.
Ah, would that were so.....Sadly I have been unable to date to track down any information about Lady Jardine. So any information that anyone comes across would be very welcome.

My database show 83 wearings since 1990 (fourth favourite brooch), but I don't doubt there are more early ones I have yet to log.....
Old 12-30-2008, 05:10 PM
Royal Highness

Beautiful photo--and Her Majesty looks wonderful in blue. She is such an elegant lady.
GillW, you mentioned this is HM's fourth favorite brooch, which has made me wonder where my personal favorite brooch falls in the "order of preference". I love the flower basket brooch HM received from her parents when Charles was born, but I've not seen it in a while. Have you some information and/or a nice, large photograph??

Old 12-30-2008, 06:49 PM
Gentry

Quote:
I love the flower basket brooch HM received from her parents when Charles was born, but I've not seen it in a while. Have you some information and/or a nice, large photograph??
Best picture I have of the Flower Basket itself...
http://i492.photobucket.com/albums/r...sketBrooch.jpg
Old 12-30-2008, 07:34 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillibetforever View Post
Best picture I have of the Flower Basket itself...
http://i492.photobucket.com/albums/r...sketBrooch.jpg

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful! Many thanks
I love this piece; I keep looking for one but when I find a similar one, it just isn't close enough. Sigh......

Old 12-31-2008, 02:05 AM
Gentry

Quote:
the Lady Jardine star brooch
This is a great excuse to share one of my favourite pictures of all!!
HM @ Chelsea Flower Show 2006
http://i492.photobucket.com/albums/r...erShow2006.jpg
Old 12-31-2008, 02:20 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful! Many thanks
I love this piece; I keep looking for one but when I find a similar one, it just isn't close enough. Sigh......
Your very welcome! Here is a great picture of HM wearing the Flower Basket this year.
http://i492.photobucket.com/albums/r...MMay282008.jpg

Closed Thread

Tags
brooches, elizabeth ii, jewellery, queen elizabeth ii