Queen Elizabeth II - Brooches 1: December 2003-October 2009

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
jcbcode99, it certainly looks like the Flower Basket brooch, indeed!
During the Reception for the relaunch of the Royal Website, The Queen chose one of her firm favourites: the Jardine Star.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you GillW, but I already had a picture of the event, scanned from Majesty Magazine, but I only put something on the forum with information about the two mentionned brooches; hope you can do something with it. I certainly don't wish that you have the impression that I regard you as a wikipedia. I really adore your wonderful knowledge and to my opinion grandious database.

Oh dear, I didn't mean to frighten anybody - truth be told I actually enjoy showing off!
I'm glad you asked about the red posy which I think is a very sweet, and I'd love to know even more about it.
:flowers::flowers:

I too look to your knowledge GillW!! I'm just glad I'm not the only one at home at night surrounded by my scrapbooks of jewels!!(yes my husband thinks I'm CRAZY)!!

I am reading a book about the Orléans Family. Short history: Princess Clémentine d'Orléans, daughter of King Louis-Philippe d'Orléans married a Saxe-Coburg and after the demolishing of the French Royal House, Queen Victoria gave the family of a nephew of Prince Albert and his wife and family a safe home in England. I read that Princess Clementine d'Orléans, who died in Coburg in 1907, gave some pieces of jewellery (by life of course) to the British Royal Family, so... perhaps this is another way of tracing something back. But there is no mention of who is wears today or what stones are within.

It's an interesting thought, but without more details we can't really track any pieces. Maybe someone else will find out some more for us....

That's a really lovely photo - probably the best one of that brooch to date, so many thanks for finding that one :flowers::flowers:

This brooch seemed to be one of the Queen Mother's favorites!!! Her Majesty looked wonderful!!

It is one that HM inherited from her mother - very appropriate to be worn for such an occasion.

It is one that HM inherited from her mother - very appropriate to be worn for such an occasion.

Thank you. Following my initial post, I read that the brooch had been last worn by the QM on her 100th birthday.How befitting that the Queen chose to honour her mother by wearing the very sam brooch today.

Close-up pic of the brooch here from the Zimbio gallery.

Ah her majesty, I am so proud to be her subject, she stands so regal, she even puts her granddaughters to shame, I can't beleive Princess Bea in her attire!!!

That is one diamond intense brooch. Really stunning craftsmanship!!!

The brooch has always reminded me of the Mellerio shell tiara worn by Queen Sofia; I wonder if the two pieces are by the same maker?

wedding gift [1947] brooch

Yes, that brooch is indeed a 1947 wedding gift. I had confirmation the Goldsmiths Guild.

Wow, these diamonds are simply beautiful. They attracted my attention for a long time!!!)))

So, I'm curious. If there can be a "favourites" list of HM's brooches numbering past 20, what is the actual number that we can count? Anyone tried? I went through a bunch of pictures, but some I can't tell if they are the same or not. I'm sure someone has an estimate; I was curious what number of brooches we know she has access to/owns?

joye

Fields or Menkes quotes The Queen having 127 brooches, .... but that was long years ago.
My count is up to

So, I'm curious. If there can be a "favourites" list of HM's brooches numbering past 20, what is the actual number that we can count? Anyone tried? I went through a bunch of pictures, but some I can't tell if they are the same or not. I'm sure someone has an estimate; I was curious what number of brooches we know she has access to/owns?

Yes I've tried - I've been trying for a few years now and have a total so far of 115 but I am sure there are others not seen or included yet. Plus ones which we know HM has received but not worn yet, such as two presented in the last couple of years.

Apart from her own collection, there are also all of those worn/owned by her late mother, and a few of those have popped up in recent years too.
'The "favourites list" you mention is one I create from my data, which simply shows statistically which of HMs brooches is seen most regularly.

My data is now quite extensive and growing all the time as I do more research (working backwards, mostly)
:flowers:

Prince of Chota. As far as I am concerned and informed by the photographs covering 2009 activities, the favourite brooch of The Queen this year as far as end of March is the Duchess of Cambridge pendant brooch, which she already wore three times this year: an Ambassadorial Credential at Buckingham Palace, at the Commonwealth Day reception and during the Help the Hospices reception. But looking backwards, we can say that the Jardine Star, the Cullinan heart brooch (worn at the reception for the Navy and Marines Fund) and the gold dahlia brooch (worn in Hull) are amongst favourites of Her Majesty. Am I right, GillW (OBE), if I was assigned for granting OBEs, you GillW would have one 'for services to research in The Queen's jewellery box'. :) And if you would be nominated for an OBE, GIllW, which brooch would you prefer to be worn by The Queen at your investiture???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom