The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 02:14 AM
Nobility

2 brooches from Sri Lanka

During the Royal Visit to Sri Lanka, The Queen received 2 brooches as gifts in Kandy. This was 21st-25th Oct, 1981.
One was described as a sword-fruit flower, the other a navaratne.

Has anyone any knowledge of either of these unseen brooches?

Old 01-24-2008, 02:30 PM
Aristocracy

Is her majesty wearing the waterfall brooch in this picture?!
Or my vision is starting to let me down....?
But if it's not the waterfall...which one is it/

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/a...s/79187502.jpg
Thanks for the answers!

Old 02-22-2008, 01:10 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew View Post
Is her majesty wearing the waterfall brooch in this picture?!
Or my vision is starting to let me down....?
But if it's not the waterfall...which one is it/

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/a...s/79187502.jpg
Thanks for the answers!
Only just found this message - On the pink coat HM was wearing the South African Flame Lily brooch.
Old 02-22-2008, 01:21 PM
Courtier

At the new Headquarters of the London Fire Brigade, HM was wearing her Six-Petalled Flower Brooch. This is the same one she wore for the photos when her engagement to Philip was announced. It is not seen very often - maybe only once a year or less...
Old 03-22-2008, 12:26 AM
Gentry

Unknown Brooch

Royalty.nu - Royal News

I don't know this brooch. Does anyone have any information about it? She wore it to the Maundy service.

Thanks
Old 03-22-2008, 12:39 AM
Gentry

Quote:
At the new Headquarters of the London Fire Brigade, HM was wearing her Six-Petalled Flower Brooch. This is the same one she wore for the photos when her engagement to Philip was announced. It is not seen very often - maybe only once a year or less...

Do you happen to have a link to a picture? I can't find a good picture of what the brooch looks like, Thanks!
Old 03-22-2008, 02:28 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cordonez View Post
Royalty.nu - Royal News

I don't know this brooch. Does anyone have any information about it? She wore it to the Maundy service.

Thanks
The brooch worn by the Queen to the Maundy Service in Armagh was one which used to belong to the late Queen Mother. This is the first time I have seen HM wearing it.

There is a lovely illustration of it here on the RJW board
Royal Jewels of the World Message Board: Re: Flower? closeup

The Queen Mother did not wear it often so pictures are hard to track down.
Old 03-22-2008, 11:47 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by GillW View Post
The brooch worn by the Queen to the Maundy Service in Armagh was one which used to belong to the late Queen Mother. This is the first time I have seen HM wearing it.

There is a lovely illustration of it here on the RJW board
Royal Jewels of the World Message Board: Re: Flower? closeup

The Queen Mother did not wear it often so pictures are hard to track down.
Wonderful closeup and info - Thanks!

Its stunning!
Old 03-22-2008, 02:07 PM
Courtier

I understand that the magnificent Queen Mary wore clothing that had been re-enforced to enable her to wear the enormous weight of the jewels she habitually wore. You look at that stomacher of hers and can see if there were not some kind of something the possiblities for an enormous and historic social faux pas are enormous.

Of course the sailors in the Royal Navy used to call the Most Royal Bosom of Queen Mary Cartier's counter because of all the jewels with which it was customarily bedecked. Cheers
Old 03-23-2008, 02:53 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Parkman View Post
I understand that the magnificent Queen Mary wore clothing that had been re-enforced to enable her to wear the enormous weight of the jewels she habitually wore. You look at that stomacher of hers and can see if there were not some kind of something the possiblities for an enormous and historic social faux pas are enormous.

Of course the sailors in the Royal Navy used to call the Most Royal Bosom of Queen Mary Cartier's counter because of all the jewels with which it was customarily bedecked. Cheers
I hadn't heard about that comment - I like it!!
Of course, you have to remember that not only were her bodices well reinforced by whalebone "stays" but also that even her large "stomachers" were in fact made up of a number of individual pieces. This means that the overall weight was divided up down the front of the material, rather than being one huge item on only one pin.

It says a lot for couture clothing that the structure is so well designed that you never see a hint of "pull" or "drag" from these very large pieces - even today...

I wonder what treat is in store for us today at the Easter Sunday church service (Windsor)?
Old 03-23-2008, 09:34 PM
Royal Highness

HM has brought out a brooch formerly worn by her mother!

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 03-25-2008, 03:47 PM
Courtier

Very beautiful. So it seems not everything from Queen Elizabeth went straight to the Duchess of Cornwall.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:57 PM
Royal Highness

Tonight (French State Visit) Her Majestly is wearing a brooch which I thought looked familiar, so I took my books to find out what it was---it was a brooch that QEQM wore to her Coronation!!!! So, I went to the Royal Jewels of the World Message Board--and guess what?? The general consensus is that the piece has not been seen since 1937. How exciting is that???

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 03-27-2008, 04:12 AM
Heir Apparent

As soon as I saw the brooch the Queen wore last night I immediately thought of this portrait...

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k2...ede/brooch.jpg

Queen Alexandra here has a rather large brooch positioned in the middle of her bodice. Is it the same one?

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 03-27-2008, 04:29 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale View Post
Queen Alexandra here has a rather large brooch positioned in the middle of her bodice. Is it the same one?
It certainly is, not seen since the Coronation of 1937!
Here's a pic:

Old 03-27-2008, 05:35 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince of Chota View Post
Very beautiful. So it seems not everything from Queen Elizabeth went straight to the Duchess of Cornwall.
If this came from Queen Victoria it is probably part of a larger item that was deemed "for all future Queens by right". Queen Mary also added some items to this list after Queen Alexandra died.
Old 03-27-2008, 06:19 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
It certainly is, not seen since the Coronation of 1937!
Here's a pic.

Thanks, Warren

I find it so extraordinary that we have now viewed something which hasn't been seen in 71 years. It truly makes one marvel at the sight of it.

Appreciate, indeed!

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 03-27-2008, 06:59 AM
Administrator

To give an idea of the scale of some of the Windsor trinkets, here is a pic (courtesy of Nellie from RJOTWMB) of the piece in its entirety. Keep in mind the central sunburst, which HM wore today, is the size of a saucer.

Old 03-27-2008, 09:04 AM
Royal Highness

I was so excited to see it! I wonder what HM will pull out next for us?

Old 03-27-2008, 10:03 AM
Administrator

I think HM is playing with our heads.
She knows what's in those fabled vaults, and she knows we want to know too. She's not going to give much away, instead teasing us by occasionally dusting off a long-lost stunner, just to remind us all that even in her 80s she knows full-well the allure of Royal Jewels, and to show that she is quite capable of surprises.

Tags
brooches, elizabeth ii, jewellery, queen elizabeth ii