Queen Elizabeth II - Brooches 1: December 2003-October 2009

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So, the Jardine Star is named after a certain Lady Jardine? So, it was probably made or given by her?

So, the Jardine Star is named after a certain Lady Jardine? So, it was probably made or given by her?
I believe that Leslie Field states in her book that the star brooch was left to Queen Elizabeth when Lady Jardine died. That is all I know-no first name, nothing. I am very curious about the origin of this brooch as well!

I have a book of Leslie Field. The Jewels of Queen Elizabeth II. The front shows The Queen with the Girls of Great Britain and Ireland tiara, the floral ruby bandeau , the Dorset bow brooch, together with a light blue sash, a white fur and golden evening dress. Are there more books about the jewels by Leslie Field, or an earlier or later edition, because I regularly saw references here to page 188, ... but my book only has 120 pages.

If you look at the page immediately before the contents page of your edition of Field you will see "First published in Great Britain in 1992... Concise, revised, paperback edition of The Queen's Jewels published in 1987... copyright 1987 and 1992".
The two editions are:
• Hardback 1987
• Concise and revised paperback 1992 (which has 120 pages).

The latest edition of Leslie Field's "The Queen's Jewels" is from 2002 - hardback, with full content and a few corrections in the text regarding minor errors previously made.

Beautiful photo--and Her Majesty looks wonderful in blue. She is such an elegant lady.
GillW, you mentioned this is HM's fourth favorite brooch, which has made me wonder where my personal favorite brooch falls in the "order of preference". I love the flower basket brooch HM received from her parents when Charles was born, but I've not seen it in a while. Have you some information and/or a nice, large photograph??

The flower basket currently stands at 15th favourite according to my data, although it has only appeared 9 times since the start of 2007.

I'm searching to see if I have any pictures to beat those already posted for you, but they were real goodies!

The flower basket currently stands at 15th favourite according to my data, although it has only appeared 9 times since the start of 2007.

I'm searching to see if I have any pictures to beat those already posted for you, but they were real goodies!

I've done a little more research and I have found just one photo at Ascot 1985 of HM wearing the Jardine star. The photo is featured in Majesty Vol 5 issue 4, showing HM arriving in her carriage at the racecourse, wearing a peach coloured outfit. This is the earliest wearing I have found so far, but the work continues! There seem to be only a handful of wearings over the next couple of years, and yet this brooch is now a firm favourite, worn many times each year.

GillW, your database never fails to impress me! You must have a lot of memory on your computer.
Rubies--I also love those aquamarine clips from Cartier. They are gorgeous (unlike that parue--you can't see me but I shivered just thinking about it)--

I'm recycling myself but good pics can go another round. Here's two pics of the aquamarine brooches aka Cartier Clips from earlier in the thread...
Even with these brooches confusion reigns. They were made by Boucheron (Royal Collection) but called Cartier Clips (according to Field), perhaps as a generic description.
Whatever the case, they are very subtle and elegant indeed.

As worn by HM
Close-up

GillW, your database never fails to impress me! You must have a lot of memory on your computer.
Rubies--I also love those aquamarine clips from Cartier. They are gorgeous (unlike that parure--you can't see me but I shivered just thinking about it)--

The trick is, I keep the data information in a (fairly simple) spreadsheet, but keep links & references to photos elsewhere. That way I can keep 6 backup copies, as I'm now terrified of losing all that work! I do store many photos in case links change, but having dates & places, with some details of outfits helps me to locate information elsewhere if any of the photos are no longer available.

It's the memory in my head that gives me more problems these days!:ROFLMAO:

I adore the Cartier clips too (although the Palace labelled them as by Boucheron when they were on display, so maybe they found that the original information was wrong....oops - i see someone else mentions that - I really should read ALL the messages before I post a response!)

Actually, I often change my mind about my particular "favourite" but the ones I would truly love to own are the Cullinan V (Heart) and the Cullinan VII & VIII (less often seen, cushion shape with marquise drop)

While we're recycling, here's two more from earlier in the thread. One for Gill...

A somewhat oversized and in-your-face pic of the Cullinan V Heart Brooch

What has been called the world's most valuable brooch, here worn by the proud but otherwise modest owner: the Cullinans IV and III aka "Granny's Chips".

Last edited:
On the third day of the State Visit to Turkey, Her Majesty The Queen wore a striking and vivid outfit. On the previous days, she wore on her fantastic clothing the largest brooch from the Nizam of Hyderabad tiara, on the second day a brooch from the Queen Mother (don't know the name or origin) and on the third day a small brooch with a small rose or flower. Could anyone help me?

On the third day of the State Visit to Turkey, Her Majesty The Queen wore a striking and vivid outfit. On the previous days, she wore on her fantastic clothing the largest brooch from the Nizam of Hyderabad tiara, on the second day a brooch from the Queen Mother (don't know the name or origin) and on the third day a small brooch with a small rose or flower. Could anyone help me?

The small flower brooch was a gift she received the previous day and is a tulip design, which appears to be enameled, with delicate diamond details. This is so far the only sighting of it being worn.

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r181/gillweb/Turkeytulipupclose-50292_072201_2_1.jpg

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r181/gillweb/turkishtulipreceived-may2008-Polfot.jpg

Please, excuse me! Always this enthusiasm of mine! Oh my goodness, those wonderful broches of Queen Elisabeth! Incredible!
This afternoon, I have carried together my own broches...., of course, no way so valuable ones, but, anyway, with some of them I could find a certain similarity in design to ....... please do not laugh, I am so proud. Now, it will be my task to find a good place to have them always at hands.
This Forum does inspire me in so many ways. Thank you for this thread.
Tilla, :innocent:

Gill, isn't there another bastet design brooch that has more of a tutti fruitti (my favorite) look? You are our most noble one, how lucky we are to have this wonderful place to discuss such loveliness!!! And to have you with all your knowledge!!

Yes, I have to confess dear members of this forum, that I am very glad I can ask things and be informed by GillW, who perhaps lives in that Royal Jewelry vault. :) I really admire you research work and information you provides me. I live in Belgium, and am very interested in the jewelry of The Queen. In this way, the Elizabethan glory is spread worldwide. Thanks and GOD SAVE THE QUEEN!

WOW, dose anyone have any pictures of the Turkey State visit?:ohmy: I have these.

http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/File:Elizabeth_II_greets_NASA_GSFC_employees,_May_8,_2007_edit.jpg
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/1/hi/uk/7399390.stm
http://www.royal.gov.uk/output/page6253.asp

Last edited:
I LOVE LOVE LOVE this brooch. It is easily one of top three favorites. I believe that, according to Field, the Queen received this as a birthday present when she 16 or 18 or something like that. It really is lovely--I can't think of a time she has ever worn it--I've seen a photo when she was quite young wearing it, but none since. Pity--it's a nice piece. Since its not a "Crown" or "Royal Collection" piece I wonder who will get it? I imagine Camilla will get the flower basket brooch, as it was a gift to celebrate Charles' birth. I guess the Wessexes, although it would be a nice piece for a granddaughter to inherit as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Research work on the Queen's brooches brought me to a possible sollution of the problem:
GOLD DAHLIA BROOCH (worn e.g. on the red outfit on 4 June 2002 Jubilee Day): designed by jeweller Andrew Grima and worn for the first time in the 1960s.
CONTEMPORARY RUBY BROOCH (worn e.g. on the brownish outfit on the second day in Slovenia), a gift from Prince Philip to The Queen in 1966, as well from Andrew Grima.

Is it perhaps possible that these two brooches are the same, but that it can be used with or without the rubies? Because it is in the same style, design and measurements.

No they are completely separate pieces.
By Garrard: the Gold Dahlia, set with diamonds on the petals is quite a different shape from the one set with carved rubies.
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r181/gillweb/Dahlia.jpg

By Grima: the one with the rubies (which stones are formerly part of a an Indian head ornament) was a prize winning piece - It was one of 12 pieces which, as a collection, had won the 1966 Duke of Edinburgh's Prize for Elegant Design.
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r181/gillweb/grimacrop.gif

Yes, they are both distinctive designs, but certainly two individual pieces.

GillW, GillW, GillW! While rummaging I found this:
Photo from Getty Images by AFP/Getty Images - Daylife

I believe it is the most recent outing of the flower basket brooch--

Firstly, thank you for your rummaging and for posting the very nice picture; however, that brooch has been worn a number of times since that photo was taken:

30-Oct-08 Buckingham Palace - German Chancellor Angela Merkel
04-Jul-08 Edinburgh
28-May-08 Royal Institution of Great Britain, London
06-Nov-07 Channel Tunnel Rail Link at St. Pancras International Station,
30-Jun-07 Scottish Parliament
23-Jun-07 Ascot Day 5
22-May-07 Royal Observatory National Maritime Museum, Greenwich (& Cutty Sark fire)
17-May-07 Cricket - Test Match at Lords Eng vs W Indies
05-Feb-07 Netherlands - Amsterdam, the Hague

GillW, you are amazing!

For a Service on the Occasion of the 90th anniversary of the battle of Gallipoli and ANZAC Day in Westminster Abbey, Her Majesty The Queen wore the Empress Eugenie's Feather Brooch.
Empress Eugenie was the last Empress of France, the consort of Napoleon III. The family moved to Farnborough in England to live in exile. I know that the empress commanded for a chapel to be built. And the monks there still pray at her grave and the burial place is precious to them, so think that she left a huge amount of money. But what is the origin of this brooch: I don't think it came in possession of the British Royal Family after Empress Eugenie of her family had to sell jewellery to survive or to pay taxes. Is it perhaps a gift because she is godmother to Queen Victoria's granddaughter, Princess Beatrice's daughter; or was the brooch a gift for the hospitality of the British Royal Family.

This is very interesting as I recently saw talk about wedding gifts to QEII, whihc included a feather other than the Eugenie one.

Several times there have been discussions which suggested that the Eugenie feather is not the one worn by HM - the details of the delicate design seem to vary.

Personally I have not made up my mind - I did believe for a long time that the one currently occasionally worn by HM is the same one as given by Empress Eugenie as a wedding gift to Queen Mary (Princess May of Teck at that time), but since the most recent chat my "jury is out" - while I wait for clearer evidence either way to come to light.

Certainly the facts of your message would point to a connection, and wearing a brooch with a link to the venue in some way is a well known habit of HM.

The Queen regularly wears a trefoil brooch. Do you have a photograph of it and do you know the origin of it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom