The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 07:47 AM
Courtier

I stumbled across something interesting yesterday. HM wore what appeared to be a "new" brooch in the USA earleir this year - a large bouquet of various coloured stones, which no-one seemed to recognise.
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r...lliamsburg.jpg

Well I think I've found an earlier wearing - a couple of years ago in Canada. (23 May 2005)

Compare these two shots from similar angles & distance:
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r...da2005-fro.jpg
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r...inUSA2007B.jpg

So now we know it was not so new after all...

Old 07-20-2007, 10:24 AM
Courtier

AND JUST SPOTTED- TODAY -
HM is wearing her Arab Dhow brooch - rarely seen - probably a joke at the weather! She made need a boat to get home!!

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r...oto6734910.jpg

Old 09-18-2007, 09:37 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOSSEAN View Post
Thank you so much Warren for the very informative answer.
Please, please Your Majesty...Don't keep hiding these wonderful pieces.
We want more sightings! Please lend them more often to HRH the Princess Royal or HRH the Duchess of Cornwall or HRH the Countess of Wessex for our benefit! If you are not interested in wearing them, that is.
I imagine that, once the Duchess is Queen (or princess consort or whatever other silly title they confer on her) we may see more of the gorgeous jewels. Presumably, many will pass to Charles, as King.

One beautiful brooch which isn't often seen is the yellow-diamond spray of wattle which was presented to Her Majesty by Australia when she visited us as a young and beautiful Queen. My grandparents have a stunning photograph of The Queen, sent from the Palace, wearing the Australian diamonds and they, and she, look quite spectacular.

My own view is that, beaming so beautifully, The Queen supersedes the glow and glamour of the jewels. It's a glorious photo.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:57 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
...which isn't often seen is the yellow-diamond spray of wattle which was presented to Her Majesty by Australia
Oh, that is said to be a favourite of HM The Queen and I've seen her wear it on quite a few occasions

It is a gorgeous brooch!

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 09-18-2007, 10:42 PM
Courtier

I wish that I could send you a copy of the photo, MR, you'd love it! The jewel is glistening in the sun, as is HM. When next I go interstate, I'll get a copy of it.

The grandparents received it on their 60th wedding anniversary: presumably, the GG or the PM told the Palace. And what a surprise it was!

I imagine that our devoted Queen has equally appropriate photos for the Canadians and New Zealanders, et al, as well.

There is one special thing about this photo: I've seen the Queen in person on quite a few occasions, and, like everyone else, seen hundreds of photos of her. I've always been amazed at how very pretty she is in 'the flesh', which never seems to be conveyed in newspapers or magazines. Well, in this unique photograph, she looks quite as beautiful as she truly is! Obviously, HM took a lot of trouble to select something special for us.
Old 09-19-2007, 05:06 AM
Administrator

a better pic...
Old 10-01-2007, 02:04 AM
Courtier

I'm sorry that it's taken me so long to reply, but thank you so much, Warren, for such a beautiful photograph.

Apart from the fact that I'm Australian, I do believe that it's one of HM's most glorious brooches.

My father spent some years on official duties in the UK, and he always insisted that HM genuinely loved and admired this jewel.
Old 10-02-2007, 11:54 AM
Courtier

According to my database the Wattle brooch currently ranks 11th favourite in order of the number of times I can trace it being worn in recent years (the last 17 years - and counting!)
Old 10-02-2007, 09:54 PM
Courtier

Thank you for that, GillW. How interesting.

It's gratifying to know that HM wears it so relatively often, given the vast array of lovely jewels which she owns. And, of course, the yellows and the warmer colours are sometimes difficult to wear at all.

I love the simple honesty and integrity of that brooch. So much goodwill and love went into its design and presentation.
Old 11-13-2007, 07:39 AM
Administrator

Diamonds!

Here's a clear and close-up pic of one of HM's more sizeable brooches, worn on Remembrance Day 2007.
Courtesy of Lys, from RJOTWMB


Old 11-13-2007, 09:04 AM
Royal Highness

An impressive piece--was it one of Queen Mary's wedding gifts?

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 11-13-2007, 01:01 PM
Courtier

Indeed it was - from, guess who? - The County of Surrey! It's a very pretty piece isn't it?
Old 11-13-2007, 01:16 PM
Royal Highness

GillW, you are too funny! I looked it up and actually it is from the Ladies of Surrey Needlework Guild--I wonder if Queen Mary was presented with a beautiful piece of their handiwork as well?

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 11-19-2007, 11:03 AM
Courtier

Brooch for the 60th Wedding Anniversary service - HM chose to wear one of the gorgeous ruby & diamond brooches left by Mrs Greville to Queen ELizabeth the Queen Mother. This is the first time, I believe, that Hm has been seen to wear this one - and very beautiful it looked too.
Old 11-19-2007, 11:15 AM
Heir Apparent

It is a really beautiful piece!Great to see Her Majesty opt to wear it for this great occasion. It does really stand out on the white outfit! Maybe in the next few days, we can see Her Majesty in Malta and in Uganda with some more precious pieces of the royal jewel vaults.
God save Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II
Old 11-19-2007, 11:32 AM
Courtier

Oh yes - that would be LOVELY
Old 11-19-2007, 03:37 PM
Royal Highness

Gorgeous brooch! And looked so lovely on her bridal white outfit! I was hoping it was a special gift from Prince Phillip but I guess not.
Old 11-19-2007, 03:39 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by GillW View Post
According to my database the Wattle brooch currently ranks 11th favourite in order of the number of times I can trace it being worn in recent years (the last 17 years - and counting!)
REALLY? I'm interested in seeing your list!
Old 11-19-2007, 04:24 PM
Courtier

It's a very large ongoing piece of work - what in particular interests you? I'll see if I can answer your questions...
Old 11-19-2007, 06:55 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Coordinator

Well, my question is what are the top three favorites?
She has so many gorgeous ones to choose from- I think if she offered to lend me one it'd take me a week to decide!

Closed Thread

Tags
brooches, elizabeth ii, jewellery, queen elizabeth ii