Queen Elizabeth II - Brooches 1: December 2003-October 2009

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you so much for indulging in my latest mental derangement. the thing is just magnificent, even if QEII looks like she is ready to summon the RackMaster from the Tower to deal with some miscreat or whatnot who has roused the royal ire. She is gorgeous in that blue suit with that wonderful brooch, even if the picture is not all that good. The woman does look like she is watching a royal beheading. Ha. cheers.

Hi Thomas,
I was lucky enough to see this wonderful pink stone at the summer exhibition at the Palace last year. I am thrilled to be able to report that I stood (no doubt open mouthed!) in front of it for several dazzling minutes and that the stone is truly pink - the kind of shade I would liken to a delicate pale sweet-pea. I'd always wondered just what colour it had as sometimes descriptions are vague or dubious, but this is every bit as beautiful as your mind can conjour.

Dear GillW and Members,

Just as I suspected. Even with all the spasms, delight and dazzlement I have always believed that a photograph can not really even begin to communicate the beauty of so many of the wondrous gems and jewelry which the members and the Noble Warren and co have hauled out for our enraptured parusal. I can see where the Williamson pink would be incredibly beautiful. Another interesting thing is the Desiree Clary parure of Crown Princess Mary or the fabulous emerald tiara from the French royal jewels and on and on it goes. The photographs are but pale reflections of the reality.

The Delhi Durbar tiara when fully restored must be simply stunning. Cheers.

Does the Queen have 2 new brooches in the USA?

Seems there was a new brooch on the Queen's coat in Williamsburg (a big floral spray of various coloured stones, tied with a small gold bow) I don't suppose anyone has seen or read anything about it being a gift for the tour? Only, I have never seen her wear anything like it before so am assuming it it a new one....
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r181/gillweb/Williamsburg.jpg

I've read that the day before she was presented with a black (or blue) onyx brooch based on one worn by Pocahontas, but I haven't been able to find any pictures of that one.

Last edited:
Hi Janet - there's a discussion of this brooch starting on post 28 of this thread. Opinions are divided as to whether it's a beautiful heirloom or a dimestore trinket. :D

Elspeth said:
Hi Janet - there's a discussion of this brooch starting on post 28 of this thread. Opinions are divided as to whether it's a beautiful heirloom or a dimestore trinket. :D

Hi Janet,

This brooch was orignally a gift from the Queen to her mother. It depicts a painitng of a Queen Elizabeth rose, painted on ivory, beneath rock crystal and surrounded by a diamond frame. It may not be to everyone's taste, but it is certainly not faux, nor cheap. The Queen seems to like it very much and has worn it on at least 13 public occasions since the Queen Mother died.

:queenelizabeth: Hmmmm....I could tell it was surrounded by diamonds, and I think it is must be a very sentimental piece as often as she has worn it, but I have to admit, I think it looks a little "cartoon-y". But, the sentiment makes up for it.

Have you ever noticed that QE always wears the pin on her left shoulder? I dont think I have ever seen her wear it on the right shoulder. Is there some kind of rule?

scooter said:
Have you ever noticed that QE always wears the pin on her left shoulder? I dont think I have ever seen her wear it on the right shoulder. Is there some kind of rule?

She does sometimes, but not often wear her brooch on the right shoulder. I can't see any reason, except personal preference, why. I've made an extensive study of her brooches over the last 12 months, and it is only a few times each year that the brooch is on the right. I've never seen any obvious reason for it.

Gill, are you sure it's really on the right and not just a matter of the photo being printed back to front?

I guess if she is personally fastening the brooch and is right handed, that would account for it. But there is not an etiquette reason why she always wears them on the left?

Elspeth said:
Gill, are you sure it's really on the right and not just a matter of the photo being printed back to front?

Trust me - I have a database I've compiled of over 1000 events that HM has attended, and for each one I search out & study every picture that I can. Although sometimes a picture IS printed back to front, it becomes easy to distinguish that from one where the picture is correct but the brooch is on the other side. I can't track an instance easily (since it's not something I've kept a note of - maybe I should add that into my data!!) but if I find one I'll post a link.

I began by trying to see which ones she wore most frequently and to try & discover as many as I could....(and now I'm hoplessly hooked... :flowers: )

The brooch always worn on HM's left shoulder.....like a coursage? What are the rules about corsages? I've seen photos where the Queen Mother wears a brooch on her left shoulder or collar and it's holding flowers or something in place.

GillW said:
Trust me - I have a database I've compiled of over 1000 events that HM has attended, and for each one I search out & study every picture that I can. Although sometimes a picture IS printed back to front, it becomes easy to distinguish that from one where the picture is correct but the brooch is on the other side. I can't track an instance easily (since it's not something I've kept a note of - maybe I should add that into my data!!) but if I find one I'll post a link.

I began by trying to see which ones she wore most frequently and to try & discover as many as I could....(and now I'm hoplessly hooked... :flowers: )
I've managed to find an example of HM with the brooch on her right shoulder - you can tell it's the correct way round (ALL photos of the events show it this way for a start) because her coat is fastened correctly....
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r181/gillweb/Francebroochonrightcorbis0000276685.jpg

I assume it's the cut of that jacket which is making her wear the brooch on the right. It really wouldn't look good on the left side with that exaggerated overlap.

Thanks for finding the photo! Hope it didn't take too long.

Not more than about 3 hours pouring over lovely photos :flowers:
What a chore.....:ROFLMAO:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm wondering if anyone out there with connections to Australia can help me to clear up a mystery please? When The Queen visited the Australian War Memorial and rededicated the Hall there (wearing a delicate pink suit and matching hat, with a fine feathery fringe at the back) she had on a beautiful brooch I have never seen her wear anywhere else. It appeared to be a spray of gold "twigs" with beautiful opal leaves or flowers.

I wrote to the Memorial and they were wonderful in providing me with a colour photo, but I promised not to share or publish it so I can't show you - sorry! I believe there is a not very nice one which I'll try to find and link to if I can; now found -

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r181/gillweb/HMBroochOpaltree-TRIMqueensigningaw.jpg

I just have a feeling that this may be a gift either from Australia as a whole, or maybe one of the opal-producing areas - anyone able to help please?

Last edited:
Wow - I haven't seen that one before, but it looks impressive. Warren, being Australian, might have some more information.

I stumbled across something interesting yesterday. HM wore what appeared to be a "new" brooch in the USA earleir this year - a large bouquet of various coloured stones, which no-one seemed to recognise.
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r181/gillweb/Williamsburg.jpg

Well I think I've found an earlier wearing - a couple of years ago in Canada. (23 May 2005)

Compare these two shots from similar angles & distance:
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r181/gillweb/williamsburgbouquetincanada2005-fro.jpg
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r181/gillweb/williamsburgbouquetinUSA2007B.jpg

So now we know it was not so new after all...

Thank you so much Warren for the very informative answer.
Please, please Your Majesty...Don't keep hiding these wonderful pieces.
We want more sightings! Please lend them more often to HRH the Princess Royal or HRH the Duchess of Cornwall or HRH the Countess of Wessex for our benefit! If you are not interested in wearing them, that is.

I imagine that, once the Duchess is Queen (or princess consort or whatever other silly title they confer on her) we may see more of the gorgeous jewels. Presumably, many will pass to Charles, as King.

One beautiful brooch which isn't often seen is the yellow-diamond spray of wattle which was presented to Her Majesty by Australia when she visited us as a young and beautiful Queen. My grandparents have a stunning photograph of The Queen, sent from the Palace, wearing the Australian diamonds and they, and she, look quite spectacular.

My own view is that, beaming so beautifully, The Queen supersedes the glow and glamour of the jewels. It's a glorious photo.

...which isn't often seen is the yellow-diamond spray of wattle which was presented to Her Majesty by Australia

Oh, that is said to be a favourite of HM The Queen and I've seen her wear it on quite a few occasions :)

It is a gorgeous brooch!

I wish that I could send you a copy of the photo, MR, you'd love it! The jewel is glistening in the sun, as is HM. When next I go interstate, I'll get a copy of it.

The grandparents received it on their 60th wedding anniversary: presumably, the GG or the PM told the Palace. And what a surprise it was!

I imagine that our devoted Queen has equally appropriate photos for the Canadians and New Zealanders, et al, as well.

There is one special thing about this photo: I've seen the Queen in person on quite a few occasions, and, like everyone else, seen hundreds of photos of her. I've always been amazed at how very pretty she is in 'the flesh', which never seems to be conveyed in newspapers or magazines. Well, in this unique photograph, she looks quite as beautiful as she truly is! Obviously, HM took a lot of trouble to select something special for us.

I'm sorry that it's taken me so long to reply, but thank you so much, Warren, for such a beautiful photograph.

Apart from the fact that I'm Australian, I do believe that it's one of HM's most glorious brooches.

My father spent some years on official duties in the UK, and he always insisted that HM genuinely loved and admired this jewel.

According to my database the Wattle brooch currently ranks 11th favourite in order of the number of times I can trace it being worn in recent years (the last 17 years - and counting!):flowers:

Thank you for that, GillW. How interesting.

It's gratifying to know that HM wears it so relatively often, given the vast array of lovely jewels which she owns. And, of course, the yellows and the warmer colours are sometimes difficult to wear at all.

I love the simple honesty and integrity of that brooch. So much goodwill and love went into its design and presentation.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom