Queen Elizabeth II - Brooches 1: December 2003-October 2009

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, but I disagree. The brooch worn by The Queen is the City of London brooch.

This City of London lily brooch, was presented in 1947, to The Queen, when she was given the Freedom of the City, only the 3rd woman to be given the honour. Florence Nightingale was before her.

The Rhodesian Flame Lily brooches presented To THe Queen Mother and Princess Margaret were both similar to The Queens. But when looking at photos, there are very slight differences.

I see that today for the Cricket, HM is wearing one of her lesser known brooches - a small squarish flower in shades of blue. I have been unable to trace any provenance for this piece, which I first have recorded as being worn as recently as May 2005 (Canada). I just wonder if anyone else has any information at all about this item it would be lovely to learn more about it's history....

GillW, did you read my comment about the Scottish Thistle brooch worn by The Queen on the first day of Holyrood Week? Should I scan the photo to enable you to find out, not looking for information, because nobody will have it, but perhaps we can trace the origin and first wearing?

I studied the photographs on some sites. For the Cricket at Lord's, is this the same brooch The Queen wore on the fuschia outfit in May 2005 for the presentation of prizes on the Royal Windsor Horse Show or so? The outfit appeared both in Majesty that period in the pictures of engagements and as well in the special book from Ingrid Seward written on the occasion of the 80th birthday? I think that is the same brooch? Or GillW, do you mean the multi-coloured brooch The Queen wore in Canada during a meeting and again on the outfit worn during the 2007 USA State Visit when she actually visited the Jamestown Settlement, when she wore a multi-coloured brooch as well? I guess it is the small squarish flower brooch worn on the fuschia outfit as I say in May 2005!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes indeed - the samll squarish one today, as worn for the prize presentations in 2005 - not the huge, flamboyant multi-coloured "Williamsburg Bouquet"
GillW, did you read my comment about the Scottish Thistle brooch worn by The Queen on the first day of Holyrood Week?
I think I know the photo you mean, but I don't believe they are the same brooch. The Queen wore her thistle many years before the Q Mum died and I don't know of any other brooch they "shared" From memory, I think there are differences in the designs of the two thistles too, but I can't find my photo of the Q Mum one to compare just now.

Oh, you call it the "Williamsburg Bouquet" due to the fact that she wore it in Williamsburg. Interesting! I find it very hard to make a catalogue of it and to make a good description of each thing. Perhaps the fact I am male is the answer to that! :)

Oh, you call it the "Williamsburg Bouquet" due to the fact that she wore it in Williamsburg. Interesting! I find it very hard to make a catalogue of it and to make a good description of each thing. Perhaps the fact I am male is the answer to that! :)

I tend to use the popular descriptions for the majority of HM's brooches. Many are named because of the provenance of the donor, for example the Jardine Star, or the Albert sapphire (simply known normally as "the Albert") Others become known by something of the design aspect or maybe even the stone they contain such as the Cullinan V and the Cullinan VI & VIII.

If a new brooch appears it makes sense to use the "first" location as in the case of the Williamsburg Bouquet. It appears to be a bouquet of various stones so the naming was fairly simple. One small snag - I later came across a photo of it being worn 2 years earlier in Canada! However, since the Williamsburg occasion had a much higher profile it makes sense to stick with that association.

In the case of the recent trip to Ireland and the amazing large new brooch spotted there, it reminded me so much of a spray of apple blossom that I chose to use the "Irish Blossom" as it's name. It doesn't matter to me whether other people use the same names, but as long as I recognise which piece they mean, then fair enough. But of course many of the brooches are very well known and have quite a history, so it then is logical to use the most familiar name used by others.

You may often find that the popular books on royal jewels give a reasonable description for those older pieces too, so pretty much all round you can copy from someone else if you are having problems with naming or descriptions - and as the saying goes, a picture is worth a thousand words!
:flowers:

Swan Upping

I see that today for the Swan Upping ceremony (how delightfully traditional!) HM is wearing a little brooch I've only ever seen her wear once before - a delicate swan! Very appropriate.

Last time it was worn was on 9th May 2007, arriving back from the trip to the USA.

:previous:
courtesy of iceflower in the British Forums: the small Swan Brooch
(when the pic comes up, click on it again to make it bigger)

Last edited:
Thanks for the Swan Brooch iceflower and thanks Warren for you magic enhancements making it really big enough to see and drool . . . . . .:flowers:

I think that wearing it during the Swan Upping was terrific, but that is something she always get right. Her mystery minions must have an incredibly detailed and accurate data base. But with her legendary ability to connect people to other places and things she is probably as good if not better than the latest technology! :lol:

As Her Majesty The Queen leaves the public side of her working dairy and moves up to Scotland, perhaps it is time to take halt and to reflect on the brooches she has worn most this year. (a top 3)
1. Bow brooch (worn 9 times)
2. Cullinan V heart brooch (worn 7 times)
3. Jardine Star / Diamond Waterfall brooch (both worn 6 times)
This is of course a list which was made by watching photographs. Everyone knows that Investitures are not often photographed with possibility to see the brooch The Queen wears. But I can say I am proud to have a list like this, 2009 is my first year that I have done it, lets hope we will have lots of years to come to see The Queen with her wonderful collection of brooches.
It would be nice if we could see the Aquamarine clips from Cartier and the Albert Sapphire making its first outing this year, because I haven't seen them yet; and knowing from people who have watched the brooches for years now stated last year that the Albert brooch is mostly in the top 10 of brooches. In September we will certainly see her wearing the golden feather brooch for the Braemar Gathering.

Another surprise is that this year the Queen Mother's Shell brooch has already appeared 6 times (3 times in 2008). It seems to be finding lots of favour with HM now that she has started to wear it. Also, the QM's diamond paisley design has now been worn 4 times already since it's first appearance HM, Christmas 2008.

I'd like to see at least one more "surprise" before the end of this year - something appearing from the vaults would be wonderful...

We all join you in hoping that a surprise or two is lurking.....:)

GillW, the Shell Brooch, do you mean the one which she wore at the unveiling of the monument of The Queen Mother?

GillW, the Shell Brooch, do you mean the one which she wore at the unveiling of the monument of The Queen Mother?

Yes, that's right - the scallop shell in diamonds, with a pearl at the base and a little "waterfall" fringe dangling...

Another mystery solved, the multi-coloured brooch, worn in the USA on the green outfit was given during a tour of Sri Lanka; the brooch consists of precious and semi-precious stones. I will certainly go and visit Buckingham Palace this year!

The Queen has worn her mother's curved leaf brooch on arrival at Balmoral for her annual holiday.

The Queen has worn her mother's curved leaf brooch on arrival at Balmoral for her annual holiday.

That's great to hear Joye, where did you find the information? I've been scouring everywhere I can to track down any information about the break in Scotland....:flowers:

So anyone know how many brooches HM has?

My apologies, I have misread the caption. I should have said the curved leaf brooch was worn to the last Garden Party of the season.

perhaps a photo of it, I know that she has worn the Paisley (21 July), the Jardine Star (14 July), the diamond City of London brooch (7 July).

My apologies, I have misread the caption. I should have said the curved leaf brooch was worn to the last Garden Party of the season.

What a shame - I thought you'd found us a discovery. Never mind - at least the new Majesty has a pot of HM with the welcoming guards at Balmoral this month. She appears to be wearing a brooch I only have recorded once before. Its like an enamelled flower & probably has soemthing to do with the Scots Guards as they were an important presence at both wearings.

The Scots Guards wear a Thistle as collar badge, but perhaps it can be the 'Flower of Scotland', but I will check Majesty, because in Belgium it is only available from 2nd of each new month, so I have to wait some days.

I discovered a contemporary jeweller in Brussels where I regularly buy new cuff links, and I have a lot of 'copies' (not intended to be copies of course) of brooches of The Queen. :)
I have now my Duchess of Cambridge cufflinks (without drop of course), Prince Albert sapphire cufflinks, Cambridge emeralds cufflinks (not from Queen Mary's brother ;-), the true lovers' knot cufflinks, Williamson pink cufflinks, the bar brooch cufflinks (but my bar is with some rubies in it), of course all fake stones, but I always have to think about Her Majesty when I try and combine then with shirt and tie. I think she too, after wearing them so many years, is thrilled when choosing and combining such magnificent 'real' jewellery, I am already thrilled by the fake ones in cufflinks.

Oh wow - they sound gorgeous. Any chance you can take some photos of them for us to see? Do you commission them to be made or do they stock them anyway. How exciting! I don't suppose they do copies AS brooches, do they? .....:whistling:

No, it are normal cufflinks, but I bought them to wear for sunday service, for meetings at work, or simply on the cuffs to have that touch extra. I did not ask for them to be made specially for me, they are simply on sale and I don't think they make copies of brooches. But I think that on the internet, many of the brooches of The Queen can be purchased as copies. I will make a photograph and please judge the comparison then. I will add them in the very near future. Greetz

How wonderful, I look forward to seeing them. I'm sure you appreciate by now that the Queen's brooches are my passion, so would you be prepared to share the name etc of the jeweller? I don't mind a private message...

Braemar Games today. The Queen has worn her gold feather brooch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom