The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 06:42 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubies View Post
Gill, isn't there another bastet design brooch that has more of a tutti fruitti (my favorite) look? You are our most noble one, how lucky we are to have this wonderful place to discuss such loveliness!!! And to have you with all your knowledge!!
There is indeed. The one you mean has more of a jardiniere or bowl design than a basket. It hasn't been seen to be worn in many years.

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r...broochscan.jpg

Old 01-05-2009, 08:01 PM
Royal Highness

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this brooch. It is easily one of top three favorites. I believe that, according to Field, the Queen received this as a birthday present when she 16 or 18 or something like that. It really is lovely--I can't think of a time she has ever worn it--I've seen a photo when she was quite young wearing it, but none since. Pity--it's a nice piece. Since its not a "Crown" or "Royal Collection" piece I wonder who will get it? I imagine Camilla will get the flower basket brooch, as it was a gift to celebrate Charles' birth. I guess the Wessexes, although it would be a nice piece for a granddaughter to inherit as well.

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 01-06-2009, 05:13 AM
Nobility

Research work on the Queen's brooches brought me to a possible sollution of the problem:
GOLD DAHLIA BROOCH (worn e.g. on the red outfit on 4 June 2002 Jubilee Day): designed by jeweller Andrew Grima and worn for the first time in the 1960s.
CONTEMPORARY RUBY BROOCH (worn e.g. on the brownish outfit on the second day in Slovenia), a gift from Prince Philip to The Queen in 1966, as well from Andrew Grima.

Is it perhaps possible that these two brooches are the same, but that it can be used with or without the rubies? Because it is in the same style, design and measurements.
Old 01-06-2009, 04:05 PM
Courtier

No they are completely separate pieces.
By Garrard: the Gold Dahlia, set with diamonds on the petals is quite a different shape from the one set with carved rubies.
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r...web/Dahlia.jpg

By Grima: the one with the rubies (which stones are formerly part of a an Indian head ornament) was a prize winning piece - It was one of 12 pieces which, as a collection, had won the 1966 Duke of Edinburgh's Prize for Elegant Design.
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r.../grimacrop.gif

Yes, they are both distinctive designs, but certainly two individual pieces.
Old 01-06-2009, 07:03 PM
Royal Highness

GillW, GillW, GillW! While rummaging I found this:
Photo from Getty Images by AFP/Getty Images - Daylife

I believe it is the most recent outing of the flower basket brooch--

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 01-07-2009, 03:05 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbcode99 View Post
GillW, GillW, GillW! While rummaging I found this:
Photo from Getty Images by AFP/Getty Images - Daylife

I believe it is the most recent outing of the flower basket brooch--
Firstly, thank you for your rummaging and for posting the very nice picture; however, that brooch has been worn a number of times since that photo was taken:

30-Oct-08 Buckingham Palace - German Chancellor Angela Merkel
04-Jul-08 Edinburgh
28-May-08 Royal Institution of Great Britain, London
06-Nov-07 Channel Tunnel Rail Link at St. Pancras International Station,
30-Jun-07 Scottish Parliament
23-Jun-07 Ascot Day 5
22-May-07 Royal Observatory National Maritime Museum, Greenwich (& Cutty Sark fire)
17-May-07 Cricket - Test Match at Lords Eng vs W Indies
05-Feb-07 Netherlands - Amsterdam, the Hague

Old 01-07-2009, 01:50 PM
Royal Highness

GillW, you are amazing!

Old 01-09-2009, 05:09 AM
Nobility

For a Service on the Occasion of the 90th anniversary of the battle of Gallipoli and ANZAC Day in Westminster Abbey, Her Majesty The Queen wore the Empress Eugenie's Feather Brooch.
Empress Eugenie was the last Empress of France, the consort of Napoleon III. The family moved to Farnborough in England to live in exile. I know that the empress commanded for a chapel to be built. And the monks there still pray at her grave and the burial place is precious to them, so think that she left a huge amount of money. But what is the origin of this brooch: I don't think it came in possession of the British Royal Family after Empress Eugenie of her family had to sell jewellery to survive or to pay taxes. Is it perhaps a gift because she is godmother to Queen Victoria's granddaughter, Princess Beatrice's daughter; or was the brooch a gift for the hospitality of the British Royal Family.
Old 01-11-2009, 05:01 AM
Courtier

This is very interesting as I recently saw talk about wedding gifts to QEII, whihc included a feather other than the Eugenie one.

Several times there have been discussions which suggested that the Eugenie feather is not the one worn by HM - the details of the delicate design seem to vary.

Personally I have not made up my mind - I did believe for a long time that the one currently occasionally worn by HM is the same one as given by Empress Eugenie as a wedding gift to Queen Mary (Princess May of Teck at that time), but since the most recent chat my "jury is out" - while I wait for clearer evidence either way to come to light.

Certainly the facts of your message would point to a connection, and wearing a brooch with a link to the venue in some way is a well known habit of HM.
Old 01-11-2009, 12:14 PM
Nobility

The Queen regularly wears a trefoil brooch. Do you have a photograph of it and do you know the origin of it?
Old 01-11-2009, 03:04 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenElizabeth View Post
The Queen regularly wears a trefoil brooch. Do you have a photograph of it and do you know the origin of it?
Indeed the trefoil brooch is one of the Queen's favourites and although she wears it often, I've never yet read anything about the origins of it.

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r...foillI0116.jpg
Old 01-16-2009, 08:05 AM
Administrator

I've made a new thread called Creating Archives: Discussion, suggestions and questions for hints and tips, located in the Royal Jewels General Discussion area.
Old 01-18-2009, 10:00 AM
Nobility

Could anyone help identify me with the following brooches:
- brooch Kentucky Derby, May 2007
- brooch final Queen's Cup Guards Polo Club, June 2005 (fuschia outfit)
Old 01-19-2009, 02:26 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenElizabeth View Post
Could anyone help identify me with the following brooches:
- brooch Kentucky Derby, May 2007
- brooch final Queen's Cup Guards Polo Club, June 2005 (fuschia outfit)
The Kentucky Derby brooch is a modern design of a diamond spray with rubies at one edge. I don't know much about that one - it's another of those which just seems to have appeared. It is not too high in the popularity of wearing, ranking around 20th.

The Guards Club brooch is another with a mysterious background. It appears now & again, but the pictures of that particular event provide some of the best available for this brooch, which appears to be a squarish flower head of stones in shades of blue, with small enamelled green leaves at the bottom.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:26 PM
Nobility

gift from Krushchec

In 1952 QEII received a brooch frm Krushchev whilst on a State Visit to Britain.
Does anyone know of this brooch, or have a photo or description please?

I am NOT referring to The Queen Mum Faberge Lily of the Valley brooch.
Old 01-24-2009, 12:05 AM
Courtier

I just found this picture of Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip and it looks like she's wearing the sapphire and diamond brooch that she gave to Diana that she then made into a choker. Can anyone tell if it's the same brooch? It looks like the picture was taken in the 90's not the 80's so maybe it's not. Anyone know?

http://msnbcmedia4.msn.com/j/msnbc/C...720a.widec.jpg
Old 01-24-2009, 02:27 AM
Nobility

No, that is not Diana's brooch. That Sapphire brooch is The Queens own chrsaythanmum [??] brooch.
Old 01-24-2009, 11:17 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHAmy View Post
I just found this picture of Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip and it looks like she's wearing the sapphire and diamond brooch that she gave to Diana that she then made into a choker. Can anyone tell if it's the same brooch? It looks like the picture was taken in the 90's not the 80's so maybe it's not. Anyone know?

http://msnbcmedia4.msn.com/j/msnbc/C...720a.widec.jpg
It's this one that HM is wearing in the photo, which was part of the Diamond Wedding Anniversary celebrations and echos photos take at the start of the royal honeymoon.

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r...syscan0003.jpg

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r...er52106999.jpg

Oh, and it was the Queen Mother, not the Queen, who gave Diana the gorgeous sapphire and diamond brooch which she later had adapted to wear as the centerpiece of her pearl choker.
Old 01-24-2009, 01:56 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by joye View Post
In 1952 QEII received a brooch frm Krushchev whilst on a State Visit to Britain.
Does anyone know of this brooch, or have a photo or description please?

I am NOT referring to The Queen Mum Faberge Lily of the Valley brooch.
I managed to find this quote, but no illustration as yet:

"Khrushchev’s visit to Great Britain in 1956 seemed on the verge of cancellation owing to the unwillingness of the British political elite to see “this political clown” in their country. Moscow quickly set about selecting gifts for the British royal family, members of the government, and prominent members of the opposition. The list was impressive: “For Queen Elizabeth, a diamond and sapphire brooch, a cape made of extra-high-quality sable furs, Aivazovsky’s painting “The Seashore”, and a casket with a portrait of the royal family. For the Duke of Edinburgh, an Akhal Teke horse with trappings, a casket with a portrait of the Queen, and a chest with a selection of wines. For Prince Charles, an Arabian horse with trappings, a set of illustrated Soviet children’s books, and an assortment of candies. For Princess Anne, a casket made by Palekh craftsmen (with scenes from Russian fairy tales), a set of illustrated Soviet children’s books, a three-month-old bear cub, and an assortment of candies. For Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother, a gold Lily-of-the-Valley brooch with diamonds, a small box made of Ural semiprecious stones, and a sable cape. For Princess Margaret, a sable scarf and a diamond and sapphire brooch.”

(see Kommersant - Russia's Daily Online)
Old 01-25-2009, 02:53 AM
Nobility

thankyou

Thankyou for this info.

Tags
brooches, elizabeth ii, jewellery, queen elizabeth ii