The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 08:51 AM
Nobility

So, the Jardine Star is named after a certain Lady Jardine? So, it was probably made or given by her?

Old 12-31-2008, 10:11 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenElizabeth View Post
So, the Jardine Star is named after a certain Lady Jardine? So, it was probably made or given by her?
I believe that Leslie Field states in her book that the star brooch was left to Queen Elizabeth when Lady Jardine died. That is all I know-no first name, nothing. I am very curious about the origin of this brooch as well!

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 12-31-2008, 10:16 AM
Nobility

I have a book of Leslie Field. The Jewels of Queen Elizabeth II. The front shows The Queen with the Girls of Great Britain and Ireland tiara, the floral ruby bandeau , the Dorset bow brooch, together with a light blue sash, a white fur and golden evening dress. Are there more books about the jewels by Leslie Field, or an earlier or later edition, because I regularly saw references here to page 188, ... but my book only has 120 pages.
Old 12-31-2008, 10:24 AM
Administrator in Memoriam

If you look at the page immediately before the contents page of your edition of Field you will see "First published in Great Britain in 1992... Concise, revised, paperback edition of The Queen's Jewels published in 1987... copyright 1987 and 1992".
The two editions are:
• Hardback 1987
• Concise and revised paperback 1992 (which has 120 pages).
Old 12-31-2008, 10:34 AM
Heir Presumptive

The latest edition of Leslie Field's "The Queen's Jewels" is from 2002 - hardback, with full content and a few corrections in the text regarding minor errors previously made.
Old 12-31-2008, 03:35 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbcode99 View Post
Beautiful photo--and Her Majesty looks wonderful in blue. She is such an elegant lady.
GillW, you mentioned this is HM's fourth favorite brooch, which has made me wonder where my personal favorite brooch falls in the "order of preference". I love the flower basket brooch HM received from her parents when Charles was born, but I've not seen it in a while. Have you some information and/or a nice, large photograph??
The flower basket currently stands at 15th favourite according to my data, although it has only appeared 9 times since the start of 2007.

I'm searching to see if I have any pictures to beat those already posted for you, but they were real goodies!
Old 01-02-2009, 03:06 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by GillW View Post
The flower basket currently stands at 15th favourite according to my data, although it has only appeared 9 times since the start of 2007.

I'm searching to see if I have any pictures to beat those already posted for you, but they were real goodies!
I've done a little more research and I have found just one photo at Ascot 1985 of HM wearing the Jardine star. The photo is featured in Majesty Vol 5 issue 4, showing HM arriving in her carriage at the racecourse, wearing a peach coloured outfit. This is the earliest wearing I have found so far, but the work continues! There seem to be only a handful of wearings over the next couple of years, and yet this brooch is now a firm favourite, worn many times each year.
Old 01-03-2009, 11:14 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillibetforever View Post
Best picture I have of the Flower Basket itself...
http://i492.photobucket.com/albums/r...sketBrooch.jpg
This is also one of my favorite brooches of Her Majesty. She wears it very traditionally of course but I can see it being very modern(on me of course) My other favorites are the aquamarine clip brooches from Cartier!! Simply divine.
Old 01-03-2009, 12:37 PM
Royal Highness

GillW, your database never fails to impress me! You must have a lot of memory on your computer.
Rubies--I also love those aquamarine clips from Cartier. They are gorgeous (unlike that parue--you can't see me but I shivered just thinking about it)--

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 01-03-2009, 01:37 PM

I'm recycling myself but good pics can go another round. Here's two pics of the aquamarine brooches aka Cartier Clips from earlier in the thread...
Even with these brooches confusion reigns. They were made by Boucheron (Royal Collection) but called Cartier Clips (according to Field), perhaps as a generic description.
Whatever the case, they are very subtle and elegant indeed.

As worn by HM
Close-up
Old 01-03-2009, 02:13 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubies View Post
My other favorites are the aquamarine clip brooches from Cartier!! Simply divine.
I do agree that they are divine!
http://i492.photobucket.com/albums/r...e18thB-day.jpg
Old 01-03-2009, 05:22 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbcode99 View Post
GillW, your database never fails to impress me! You must have a lot of memory on your computer.
Rubies--I also love those aquamarine clips from Cartier. They are gorgeous (unlike that parure--you can't see me but I shivered just thinking about it)--
The trick is, I keep the data information in a (fairly simple) spreadsheet, but keep links & references to photos elsewhere. That way I can keep 6 backup copies, as I'm now terrified of losing all that work! I do store many photos in case links change, but having dates & places, with some details of outfits helps me to locate information elsewhere if any of the photos are no longer available.

It's the memory in my head that gives me more problems these days!

I adore the Cartier clips too (although the Palace labelled them as by Boucheron when they were on display, so maybe they found that the original information was wrong....oops - i see someone else mentions that - I really should read ALL the messages before I post a response!)

Actually, I often change my mind about my particular "favourite" but the ones I would truly love to own are the Cullinan V (Heart) and the Cullinan VII & VIII (less often seen, cushion shape with marquise drop)
Old 01-03-2009, 06:36 PM

While we're recycling, here's two more from earlier in the thread. One for Gill...

A somewhat oversized and in-your-face pic of the Cullinan V Heart Brooch

What has been called the world's most valuable brooch, here worn by the proud but otherwise modest owner: the Cullinans IV and III aka "Granny's Chips".
Old 01-04-2009, 03:30 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
While we're recycling, here's two more from earlier in the thread. One for Gill...

A somewhat oversized and in-your-face pic of the Cullinan V Heart Brooch

What has been called the world's most valuable brooch, here worn by the proud but otherwise modest owner: Granny's Chips, the Cullinans IV and III
Beautiful - thank you! BUT - the link to Cull VII & VIII brings up the Chips again.....
Old 01-04-2009, 09:53 AM
Nobility

On the third day of the State Visit to Turkey, Her Majesty The Queen wore a striking and vivid outfit. On the previous days, she wore on her fantastic clothing the largest brooch from the Nizam of Hyderabad tiara, on the second day a brooch from the Queen Mother (don't know the name or origin) and on the third day a small brooch with a small rose or flower. Could anyone help me?
Old 01-04-2009, 05:13 PM
Courtier

Quote:
On the third day of the State Visit to Turkey, Her Majesty The Queen wore a striking and vivid outfit. On the previous days, she wore on her fantastic clothing the largest brooch from the Nizam of Hyderabad tiara, on the second day a brooch from the Queen Mother (don't know the name or origin) and on the third day a small brooch with a small rose or flower. Could anyone help me?
The small flower brooch was a gift she received the previous day and is a tulip design, which appears to be enameled, with delicate diamond details. This is so far the only sighting of it being worn.

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r...072201_2_1.jpg

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r...008-Polfot.jpg
Old 01-04-2009, 06:01 PM
Courtier

Please, excuse me! Always this enthusiasm of mine! Oh my goodness, those wonderful broches of Queen Elisabeth! Incredible!
This afternoon, I have carried together my own broches...., of course, no way so valuable ones, but, anyway, with some of them I could find a certain similarity in design to ....... please do not laugh, I am so proud. Now, it will be my task to find a good place to have them always at hands.
This Forum does inspire me in so many ways. Thank you for this thread.
Tilla,
Old 01-04-2009, 06:41 PM
Heir Presumptive

Gill, isn't there another bastet design brooch that has more of a tutti fruitti (my favorite) look? You are our most noble one, how lucky we are to have this wonderful place to discuss such loveliness!!! And to have you with all your knowledge!!
Old 01-05-2009, 05:12 AM
Nobility

Yes, I have to confess dear members of this forum, that I am very glad I can ask things and be informed by GillW, who perhaps lives in that Royal Jewelry vault. :) I really admire you research work and information you provides me. I live in Belgium, and am very interested in the jewelry of The Queen. In this way, the Elizabethan glory is spread worldwide. Thanks and GOD SAVE THE QUEEN!
Old 01-05-2009, 04:33 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
WOW, dose anyone have any pictures of the Turkey State visit? I have these.

http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/File:Eli..._2007_edit.jpg
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/1/hi/uk/7399390.stm
http://www.royal.gov.uk/output/page6253.asp

Closed Thread

Tags
brooches, elizabeth ii, jewellery, queen elizabeth ii