Queen Beatrix Jewels

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
has she ever worn any grand jewlley to the Prinsjesdag? if yes what was it.

Josefine said:
has she ever worn any grand jewlley to the Prinsjesdag? if yes what was it.
She wore some beautiful earrings,a bracelet and a nice brooche

PPE

Last edited by a moderator:
Queen Beatrix wearing Small floral motif tiara tonigt
source: PPE
06092651.jpg

Larzen said:
Beatrix does not seem to be very into necklaces does she, conosdering the collection she has to choose from? Especially the grander ones, not even when she was young, maybe because she does not have the longest and slimmest of necks:lol:

That is exactly the reason. She once explained: 'We Oranjes have no neck'.

a beauthiful photo of Queen Beatrix last night!!

what tiaras could be said to be queen tiaras and is there any tiara that only a regent will wear that we wont se untill Amelia is queen?

A close-up of a sapphire bow brooch that the Queen seldom wears. Perhaps nice for Princess Mabel ;)

The picture was originally posted and scanned by Marianne on the Royal Jewels MB.

To complicate matters, there is a second sapphire bow brooch, also seldom worn. I don´t know which one belongs to which parure but maybe others can help us. This sapphire seems to be more square instead of oval, and the bow is different too of course. A pity that both haven´t been seen since the 80-ties.

The tiaras that Queen Beatrice has have a strange fake or paste look to them. They are big and showy (and a little on the ugly side) but they don't look real. I can't put my finger on why that is.

The tiaras that Queen Beatrice has have a strange fake or paste look to them. They are big and showy (and a little on the ugly side) but they don't look real. I can't put my finger on why that is.
The Dutch RF are the owners of the second largest jewellery collection, (the largest belongs to the British) Yes almost all the jewells are gaudy, but they just show how wealthy they were (and probably still are). It wouldn't harm to reset the stones in a more uptodate style.

The diamonds in the various montures worn by Orange-Nassau ladies often show quite big and pure diamonds, sapphires and rubies, the most expensive precious stones.

Especially the pearl-collection is amazing. Before the invention of cultured pearls, big natural pearls were as costly as diamonds. The many diamonds-and-pearls diademes still present in the House of Orange-Nassau tell something about the wealth and are also an expression of the revered and exalted position of their bearers.

During the ball for King Harald V's birthday in Oslo, Princess Máxima glitzed in her 10th or 11th successive diademe (Queen Anna Pavlovna's Pavolnik Diademe), Princess Mabel wore the sun-ray motif diademe with astonishing big and crystalclear diamonds set en tremblant to generate maximum sparkle, completed with an eyecatching diamonds-and-rubies collier and Princess Laurentien, just a wife of the third son of the Queen, glammed in Queen Emma's Floral Motif Diamond Diademe and had a fantastic old diamod-and-rubies bracelet crawling on her under arm like a snake.

That was a great entrance. Three Princesses of Orange-Nassau together entering the venue, in all splendour and showing their pride for the illustrious House they are lucky to be part of.

And that exactly is the purpose of these diademes. Impress. Show off. Mark your high position. The esthetic of jewels more or less come second. It is understandable that there is hesistation to break down heirlooms worn in 1798 or belonged to a great Orange Princess, just becouse our temporarily 2007 taste says something else.

:flowers:

Last edited:
You know, after going back again and looking at the pictures, maybe it's the Queen's hair that has the fake or paste look to it, and not the jewels! I never looked that closely at Queen Beatrice before, her hair is kind of wig-like.

I do find pearls to be kind of fake looking. Maybe because they are organic and I assumed (wrongly) that they generally don't survive for too many centuries, if I see them I think they are relatively new. It's interesting that these pearls are so old.

Also, one thing that strikes me about the Dutch jewelry collection (and it's just an impression, I'm no expert) is that the pieces all seem to have a cohesive look; like they were all acquired at the same time in one general style (large, spikey, lots of pearls, very large grey diamonds, etc.). And that look is different from the pieces that you see in other royal families, where there is a mix of Victorian, Edwardian, Deco, etc. Again, I'm no expert, and I have heard that the Dutch royal family is very rich, but if they have so much money, where are the newer pieces?

Last edited:
During the ball for King Harald V's birthday in Oslo, Princess Máxima glitzed in her 10th or 11th successive diademe (Queen Anna Pavlovna's Pavolnik Diademe), Princess Mabel wore the sun-ray motif diademe with astonishing big and crystalclear diamonds set en tremblant to generate maximum sparkle, completed with an eyecatching diamonds-and-rubies collier and Princess Laurentien, just a wife of the third son of the Queen, glammed in Queen Emma's Floral Motif Diamond Diademe and had a fantastic old diamod-and-rubies bracelet crawling on her under arm like a snake.

That was a great entrance. Three Princesses of Orange-Nassau together entering the venue, in all splendour and showing their pride for the illustrious House they are lucky to be part of.

And that exactly is the purpose of these diademes. Impress. Show off. Mark your high position. The esthetic of jewels more or less come second. It is understandable that there is hesistation to break down heirlooms worn in 1798 or belonged to a great Orange Princess, just becouse our temporarily 2007 taste says something else.

It's kind of funny to think about one royal family showing off their jewels to the other royal families. But truly, they are not equally endowed. Strange that Princess Mathilde of Belgium has one skimpy tiara and the Dutch royal family next door is loaded down. It just doesn't seem fair!

The Dutch were "fortunate" in that two Sovereigns were the only children, therefore the entire collection was passed down intact (and increased). The Belgians seem to have developed a tradition of dispersing (and disposing of) their jewels, up to and including the late Princess de Réthy.

3 newer pieces

Again, I'm no expert, and I have heard that the Dutch royal family is very rich, but if they have so much money, where are the newer pieces?

The Netherlands royal family is technically 'poor' since Queen Juliana (herself a single heiress and child of another single heiress) prevented a break up of the enormous collection amongst her 4 daughters and, via them, the 14 grandchildren. Nothing would stop the fragmentation as in the Netherlands succession system all siblings have the right on an equal part of the parental heritage (see the two recognized illegitimate daughters of the late Prince Bernhard sharing equally with their four royal halfsisters in their father's personal fortune).

It is not possible to disinherit someone or to give one child more than the other. This means that when an eldest child (Queen Beatrix or Prince Willem-Alexander) would want to preserve the collection, they have the impossible task to 'outpay' their siblings for their immense value in the heritance, not even mentioning the succession taxes....

So in the 1960's and 1970's technically almost everything has been given into the hands of various foundations and trusts, which are the juridical owners of the goods. There are two positive effects of this: the fantastic collections (jewels, paintings, gold- silver- crystalware, antiques, palace inventories, carriages, estates, etc.) remain intact ánd are not taxable as succession does not apply on 'non-natural' juridical owners (a trust or a foundation is no human person who can die and is subject to succession taxes).

This means that -technically- the fine Sèvres porcelain the Queen uses on her table or the old Dutch Master painting in one of her salons are not her own but are given in usufruct to her. The disadvantage of this (but lucky for us) is, that members of the royal family who need money can not auction goods ('dead capital') to gain cash. The various trusts and foundations can be dissolved of course. On that moment all the goods will be divided to the heirs of the late Queen Juliana and also become taxable.

So to answer your question: yes the royal family is very rich. But their fortune is locked up in foundations. The jewels are stored into the Foundation Regalia of the House of Orange-Nassau, and in the Foundation Crown Properties House of Orange-Nassau. The custodians of these foundations (the various foundations and trusts are chaired by The Queen or The Prince of Orange) decide on the purchase, or on the restoration, or a change, or a break up, or a sale of items which are part of the Foundation's portfolio.

In the 1930's the latest full parure was purchased: Princess Juliana's Aquamarine Parure.

Since the 1970's and the 1990's there is a slowly build up of items, especially in turquoises (The Queen) and orange precious stones (The Princess of Orange) which gradually have resulted in demi-parures. It is possible that these personal jewelries will be handed over to the Foundation, to keep them for the House and avoid taxation.

In the 1960's the diademe from the elaborate 1901 Wedding Gift Parure was broken into personal byoux for the four Princesses. The rest of the parure seems still intact.

Since the 1970's gradually a collection of nice turquouise jewelry was build up.

In the 1990's the Netherlands East-Indies Braclet was de-constructed (but can be reconstructed back) in two diamond bracelets, two diamond Garuda (mythical bird) broches and one broche with the Arms of the Kingdom.

In the 2000's we have seen some new entrances like a few broches worn by the Queen, the large diamond-and-sapphire brooch which was a gift by the Zorreguieta family, various orange precious stones and a pair of large emerald earrings.

So the old fashion of purchasing a complete parure has gone. Instead there is a gentle stream of additions.

Last edited:
It's kind of funny to think about one royal family showing off their jewels to the other royal families. But truly, they are not equally endowed. Strange that Princess Mathilde of Belgium has one skimpy tiara and the Dutch royal family next door is loaded down. It just doesn't seem fair!

They actually are more human than we imagine on this part, Queen Juliana usually only used her largest and best jewels to receive or go to royal guests. At the wedding of Princess Elizabeth and Prince Phillip she even made several remarks about the dirtyness of the jewels of other people (while her own were clean and sparkling of course), as is recorded by Lady Pamela Mountbatten.

But even Queen Beatrix uses larger items and at least MORE items when visiting or being visited by foreign royalty.

Also, one thing that strikes me about the Dutch jewelry collection (and it's just an impression, I'm no expert) is that the pieces all seem to have a cohesive look; like they were all acquired at the same time in one general style (large, spikey, lots of pearls, very large grey diamonds, etc.). And that look is different from the pieces that you see in other royal families, where there is a mix of Victorian, Edwardian, Deco, etc. Again, I'm no expert, and I have heard that the Dutch royal family is very rich, but if they have so much money, where are the newer pieces?

You are right about that, most pieces were bought or altered around 1880-1900, which would explain the simularities in style. After that the Dutch royals seldom bought new oieces. There were just 3 or two ladies and the collection was big enough for them. As the Dutch RF doesn't get Arabian presents like their English and Spanish collegues this leaves the collection more or less in the same state as it was at the beginning of Wilhelmina's reign (they added a few Aquamarines though).

Explanation for standstill in jewelry collection

You are right about that, most pieces were bought or altered around 1880-1900, which would explain the simularities in style. Ater that the Dutch royals seldom bought new oieces. There were just 3 or two ladies and the collection was big enough for them. As the Dutch RF doesn'tget Arabian presents like their English collegues this leaves the collection more or less in the same state as it was at the beginning of Wilhelmina's reign (they added a few Aquamarines though).

Indeed until Princess Beatrix became 18, roughly between 1880 and 1956 there was sort of standstill in the Royal House with a very limited number of ladies who needed jewelry.

Add to this the downfall of all those monachies between WWI and WWII, the crisis years and the more sober modern era. There is the explanation for the status quo in the jewelry collection.

1878 - 3 persons
King Willem III,
Queen Emma,
Prince Alexander, the Prince of Orange

1880 - 4 persons
King Willem III,
Queen Emma,
Prince Alexander, the Prince of Orange
Princess Wilhelmina

1884 - 3 persons
King Willem III,
Queen Emma,
Princess Wilhelmina

1890 - 2 persons
Queen Wilhelmina,
Queen Emma, the Queen-Dowager

1901 - 3 persons
Queen Wilhelmina,
Prince Hendrik, the Prince of the Netherlands, Duke of Mecklenburg
Queen Emma, the Queen Dowager

1909 - 4 persons
Queen Wilhelmina
Prince Hendrik, the Prince of the Netherlands, Duke of Mecklenburg
Princess Juliana
Queen Emma, the Queen Dowager

1934 - 2 persons
Queen Wilhelmina
Princess Juliana

1936 - 3 persons
Queen Wilhelmina
Princess Juliana
Prince Bernhard, Prince of Lippe-Biesterfeld

1938 - 4 persons
Queen Wilhelmina
Princess Juliana
Princess Beatrix

1939 - 5 persons
Queen Wilhelmina
Princess Juliana
Princess Beatrix
Princess Irene

1943 - 6 persons
Queen Wilhelmina
Princess Juliana
Princess Beatrix
Princess Irene
Princess Margriet

1947 - 7 persons
Queen Wilhelmina
Princess Juliana
Princess Beatrix
Princess Irene
Princess Margriet
Princess Christina

1948 - 7 persons
Queen Juliana
Prince Bernhard, the Prince of the Netherlands, Prince of Lippe-Biesterfeld
Princess Beatrix
Princess Irene
Princess Margriet
Princess Christina
Princess Wilhelmina

1962 - 6 persons
Queen Juliana
Princess Beatrix
Princess Irene
Princess Margriet
Princess Christina

1964 - 5 persons
Queen Juliana
Princess Beatrix
Princess Margriet
Princess Christina

1966 - 6 persons
Queen Juliana
Princess Beatrix
Prince Claus, Jonkheer van Amsberg
Princess Margriet
Princess Christina

Etc. Etc. Etc.

2007 - 17 persons
Queen Beatrix
Prince Willem-Alexander, the Prince of Orange
Princess Máxima
Princess Catharina-Amalia
Princess Alexia
Princess Ariane
Prince Constantijn
Princess Laurentien
Countess Eloïse
Count Claus-Casimir
Countess Leonore
Princess Margriet
Professor mr. Pieter van Vollenhoven
Prince Maurits van Oranje-Nassau, van Vollenhoven
Princess Marilène
Prince Bernhard van Oranje-Nassau, van Vollenhoven
Princess Annette

Last edited:
Henri, thank you for that information. I find the differences in the amount of money and the ownership or royal property among the royal families very interesting. We tend to think that all royal families are fabulously rich, but some are merely well off, I guess, and some might as well be rich but don't actually own the property themselves.

I actually like the Dutch inheritance law, not good of course for keeping tiaras in the family, but it seems fair for the average Dutch person.

I like the way the Dutch Royal jewels are in a pool that can be accessed by the Queen and her daughters in law equally. Unlike most other Royal Families where the Queen and Crown Princess get access to the best ones, in Holland the jewels are equally accessable to all the Royal ladies so they all look equally stunning on the big occasions.

These earrings are pretty but I presonally like her long sapphire earrings best.

State Visit from Germany:
Queen Beatrix wearing the Würtemberg Tiara

ANP Beeldbank
ANP Beeldbank

I love this Tiara! Actually it is one of my favorites in the Dutch collection!
It would be nice to see HM wearing the huge version of it , like she did on her wedding day.
It looks fantastic with the additional pearls!

That tiara is gorgeous. And so is that dress. And so is the Queen. A fabulous combination IMO. It has a definate olde time elegance to it that doesn't need to try hard to look glam, it just does - the tiara, not the Queen.

Well, i was walking on Rokin today in AMsterdam and passed the Bonebakker jewelry shop as usual. And again I saw in the shop window the multi coloured pearl necklaces that Beatrix is so fond of. The style is the same and HM does visit Bonebakker in The Hague from time to time (I believe either Willem-Alexander or Friso bought the engagement ring for their wife there too).

Anyway, I took a closer look at the items and they seem to belong to a brand called Yvel, which is italian. You can find the website here though they aren´t too generous in providing pictures of their items.

Let's look at some Dutch pieces, because I have to tell you, I'm going to eat my words. They have some lovely pieces, some that are bulky, some I don't like, but there are several that I just love!

This pearl tiara? Antique Pearl Tiara it is versitile--but I think the pearls are touch too big for the piece, but is is a nice piece-it wouldn't belong here.

Queen Emma's diamond tiara: Queen Emma's Diamond Tiara I like it in its current form--and you can interchange some of the diamonds to rubies. I do love versitility.

I love the Laurel Wreath tiara: Laurel Wreath Tiara it is just beautiful--right up there with the bandeau, in my opinion.

Wurtttenberg Pearl Tiara: Wurttemberg Pearl Tiara
I'm not sure how I feel about it--but it has come a long way. It appearst to be a versitile piece--and has a lot of history. It probably wouldn't belong here.

I LOVE the diamond stars tiara, I really do. I know some hate it, but I think it is a charming piece:
Diamond Stars Tiara

Now, I don't really like the sapphire tiara--it looks painful and the design doesn't work for me, personally.
Wedding Gift Parure

this one is better but I don't love it:
Sapphire Parure

Love emeralds, love this set:
Sapphire Parure

Don't like the tiara, love the brooch:
Ruby Peacock Parure

So, it appears that I was dreadfully, dreadfully wrong. The Dutch do have a lot of older style tiaras, but they have some beautiful ones as well. I love this Dutch Jewels Site--it is amazing--the history of the pieces is there, and it is so very informative. I've bookmarked it.

Last edited by a moderator:
The wedding gift tiara was painfull indeed. Queen Wilhelmina was only able to wear it for a photoshoot, but never longer than that. The tiara was broken down and they made earrings for the 4 princesses of Soestdijk from the stones. The frame was melted down, as a payment is to the jeweller. It is unknown what happened to the necklace. The bow-brooch and the bracelets are still used today.

IMO if they would have taken of the top part it wuldn't have been that bad, not the most elegant design but not shockingly ugly either.

--

It is a pity that Beatrix doesn't like to 'play' a bit more with her jewels, there are many necklaces, devant-corsages etc. in the vaults that we didn't see for ages (and unlike the British, the Dutch do not have a very large collection).

Back
Top Bottom