The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-05-2016, 03:01 PM
Majesty

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Tiara Thursday (on a Friday): The Dutch Laurel Wreath Tiara

A very beautiful and elegant tiara.

Old 02-05-2016, 03:31 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

I like it even more so as a Wedding Tiara,however I don't recall seeing Maxima ever wearing the Laurel Wreath Tiara?

Old 02-05-2016, 03:54 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Maxima has never worn it.
The laurel wreath tiara is one of the few tiaras in the collection that she has never given a go. Afaik, Beatrix has only worn it as a young Princess. For several decades now it has only been worn by the other Princesses: Margriet, Laurentien, Christina and Maria Carolina.

Old 02-05-2016, 05:16 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

I knew if anyone could answer that it would be our resident royal bling watcher/expert Madame Tilla
Old 02-05-2016, 05:17 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilia C. View Post
Maxima has never worn it.
The laurel wreath tiara is one of the few tiaras in the collection that she has never given a go. Afaik, Beatrix has only worn it as a young Princess. For several decades now it has only been worn by the other Princesses: Margriet, Laurentien, Christina and Maria Carolina.
As far as i remember it was also never worn by Queen Juliana. So a tiara for Princesses.
Hope we will see the laurel-wreath tiara more when the three A's start to wear tiaras.
Old 02-05-2016, 06:58 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveCP View Post
Agree so much with you! Beautiful, elegant tiara!
Old 02-05-2016, 07:31 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

I believe it was a belated 18th birthday gift from Bernhard and Juliana to Beatrix, after Wilhelmina suppedly gave the Peacock tiara to Pss Irene to teach Beatrix an odd lesson. At least this is what the Spanish ambassador of the time wrote in his biography.

Originally the online royal jewel community thought the laurel tiara belonged to our first Wilhelmina of Prussia (wife of stadholder Willem V) or her daughter Louise (the unfortunate duchess of Brunswick). But I believe these days most think that the tiara was newly acquired. It makes a far better wedding tiara than the wheat ears, which usually disappears in the veils of the various brides.
Old 02-06-2016, 09:53 AM
Super Moderator

I have never seen any picture that suggests that this tiara was in the family before Princess Beatrix 18th Birthday. Also I don’t know the source that makes some people claim that the tiara originates from Wilhelmina or Louise. Personally I believe that it is wishful thinking, and I really can’t see why a perfectly beautiful tiara like this would have stayed unused in the vaults for several generations? To me that doesn’t make sense. The only explanation I can think of is that the tiara had left the main line of the family and was bought back by Juliana & Bernhard. But that too is speculation, so please don quote me on that.

Marengo, the first picture of Beatrix in that blog post supposedly showed Princess Beatrix on the festivities of her 18th BD. If that is correct, then is it possible that Juliana and Bernhard acquired the tiara after Wilhelmina gave the peacock to Irene on the same birthday? I think that the gift must have been planned in advance.

It seems that this tiara never was a favourite of Princess Beatrix. She only wore it as a very young princess. And it can’t have been because of it’s size, because Beatrix often favoured small tiara, even as Queen.

Old 02-06-2016, 10:42 AM
Heir Apparent

According Els Smit, an expert of the magazine Vorsten Royale, the diamond Bandeau á la Grècque was made around 1800 and is therefore one of the eldest jewels in original and unaltered state in the Orange-Nassau collection.

For a long time it has been speculated that -like the emeralds- the diadem orginated from Princess Louise of Orange-Nassau (1770-1819). I think that was a matter of deduction: a diadem from the Napoleontic Era? And not disappared by inheritance? That must be from Princess Louise, the only daughter of Stadtholder Prince Willem V, the only sister of King Willem I, whom lived in exactly that era, whom remained childless and whose estate returned into the hands of her brother, the King. That theory indeed was not so far-sought.

In the end it indeed turned out that Queen Juliana and Prince Bernhard purchased this beautiful and original diadem, made around 1800, in the 1950's.
Old 02-06-2016, 12:14 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
I believe it was a belated 18th birthday gift from Bernhard and Juliana to Beatrix, after Wilhelmina suppedly gave the Peacock tiara to Pss Irene to teach Beatrix an odd lesson. At least this is what the Spanish ambassador of the time wrote in his biography.

Originally the online royal jewel community thought the laurel tiara belonged to our first Wilhelmina of Prussia (wife of stadholder Willem V) or her daughter Louise (the unfortunate duchess of Brunswick). But I believe these days most think that the tiara was newly acquired. It makes a far better wedding tiara than the wheat ears, which usually disappears in the veils of the various brides.
Any ideas what was the "odd lesson " Willem ina was trying to give Beatrix?
Old 02-06-2016, 07:18 PM
Administrator

According to the ambassador she came to Pss. Beatrix 18th birthday with a gift. Instead of giving it to the birthday girl she gave it to Pss. Irene. When the box was opened it contained the peacock tiara and necklace. I suppose the lesson was never to take things for granted or something along those lines.

I believe that some have wondered if the story could actually have been true. It is unlikely that the ambassador was present at the scene for example, as few ambassadors will be attending family birthdays of the RF.

Still, Wilhelmina's excentricenty is legendary and Beatrix' birthday was in the middle of the Hofmans-crisis which soured family relations to some degree.

Beatrix official 18th birthday at Dam Palace, no laurel tiara yet:

http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/...ilhelmina2.png
Old 02-07-2016, 09:12 AM
Heir Apparent

El Excelentísimo Señor Don José María Ruiz de Arana y Baüer, XVI Duque de Baena, XIV Marqués de Villamanrique, Gentilhombre Grande de España (1893-1985) was Ambassador of Spain in The Hague from 1957 to 1963. In 1967 he wrote about his years in The Hague The Dutch Puzzle. An excerpt from Google Books:

Page 183

It was Princess Beatrix's birthday on January 31st, and her grandmother Wilhelmina had announced her intention to visit Soestdijk Palace for the occasion. All measures were taken so that nothing could displease her. Wilhelmina arrived to join the family party and quite suddenly at tea time produced a present. Now it was, as I stated, the birthday of Princess Beatrix, but the small sized box, wrapped in brown paper, was pushed into the hands of Princess Irene. Everyone was baffled but of course Irene had to accept it. She opened the box and to her joy she saw a splendid parure of rubies and diamonds, worthy of a Queen. There was no doubt about it: the present was meant for Irene and there was nothing for Beatrix. Everyone put on a brave face; Irene was radiant, though somewhat abashed. Beatrix stoically generous in her praise and the others agreed with her. But after Wilhelmina had left, rumour broke out.
Old 02-07-2016, 10:25 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
According to the ambassador she came to Pss. Beatrix 18th birthday with a gift. Instead of giving it to the birthday girl she gave it to Pss. Irene. When the box was opened it contained the peacock tiara and necklace. I suppose the lesson was never to take things for granted or something along those lines.

I believe that some have wondered if the story could actually have been true. It is unlikely that the ambassador was present at the scene for example, as few ambassadors will be attending family birthdays of the RF.

Still, Wilhelmina's excentricenty is legendary and Beatrix' birthday was in the middle of the Hofmans-crisis which soured family relations to some degree.

Beatrix official 18th birthday at Dam Palace, no laurel tiara yet:

http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/...ilhelmina2.png
That is interesting. So there either there were two festivities for her birthday, or the pic from the blog is from a completely different. It happens often enough that eg. picture agencies have the wrong dates in their files.

I'm astonished that Beatrix didn't wear a tiara on the group pic, since the 18th birthday is usually the starting date for tiara wearing. And even without owning a tiara, there were enough for her to borrow.

Old 02-07-2016, 11:27 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
[...]

I'm astonished that Beatrix didn't wear a tiara on the group pic, since the 18th birthday is usually the starting date for tiara wearing. And even without owning a tiara, there were enough for her to borrow.
Queen Juliana wore no diadem either, see another picture. There were also no Orders, so it was a festive white-tie event with ladies in evening robes but no diadems and no Orders. Queen Wilhelmina wore something small in her hairdo. Despite the lack of diadems, Queen Juliana must have been stunningly glittery with that massive corsage de devant pinned on her dress.

Old 02-07-2016, 04:58 PM
Administrator

Quote:
That is interesting. So there either there were two festivities for her birthday, or the pic from the blog is from a completely different. It happens often enough that eg. picture agencies have the wrong dates in their files.
I looked into newspaper databases and compared the articles I found to the photos on Het geheugen van Nederland and came up with the following:

The official birthday dinner, hosted by the government (several ministers are wearing orders btw) was on February 25th 1956.

The photo in the blog isn't from this occassion but from another one. It was made at at the end of June 1956. Princess Beatrix made her first official visit to Amsterdam, accompanied by her parents. The visit was made to mark the princess' coming of age. On the evening of the 30th the royal party went to the City Theatre (stadsschouwburg) where Beatrix wore the tiara.

It must have been the first time she wore a tiara as in the beginning of June she still went without one to the state banquet for GDss Charlotte and Prince Felix of Luxembourg in Amsterdam.

She wore the tiara a second time in October 1956 for the visit of president Tubman of Liberia.
Old 02-07-2016, 06:20 PM
Heir Apparent

That diadem looked fantastic on her as a young Princess. Here a fabulous view on the diadem. The gentleman next to her is the Duke of Edinburgh.
Old 02-08-2016, 09:04 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks for for your research!
The dresscode of the official BD photo is white tie, so traditionally tiaras would have been worn. But in this case only Queen Wilhelmina wore one. It must have been the emerald tiara in its smallest version without prongs, not even the central prong can be seen. pic

It's interesting that Princess Beatrix didn’t wear a tiara at the SV from Luxembourg in early June. She could have worn one of the smaller ones from the collection, but for some reason it must have been decided that her first tiara should be her own one.

So if she wore a tiara for the first time 4 months after her 18th birthday, that gives Juliana & Bernard enough time to go tiara shopping for their eldest daughter. But be that as it may, I’ll never understand Queen Wilhelmina’s reasons for that odd lesson. On the other hand we might never have seen this tiara if the peacock parure had been given to the birthday girl instead. It’s a beautiful and classic tiara that looks good on everyone. It really saddens me that Queen Maxima has never worn it.

Old 08-13-2016, 02:04 AM
Majesty

The Dutch Laurel Wreath Tiara | The Court Jeweller

An elegant and beautiful tiara
Old 08-13-2016, 02:23 AM
Heir Apparent

I love the laurel style tiaras. The Dutch one is stunning
Old 09-23-2016, 07:52 PM
Royal Highness

I apologize if that is not the appropriate forum to ask this question, but could anyone please clarify how the Orange-Nassau family got their jewels out of the Netherlands when the Germans occupied the country in 1940 ? Thank you in advance for your reply.

Tags
jewellery, queen beatrix