Queen Anne Marie Jewels

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There can't be that many jewels of Frederika left, as she had to sell some of them during the years of exile.
But maybe the circle tiara that seems to belong to Princess Irene, and which was once worn by Infanta Elena, will surface again. Though I don't think that it will go to Pavlos and MC. They'll probably get the bulk of the important jewellery, especially the ruby and emerald parures.

What happens to the jewels in the future will be interesting and I had wondered about the Greek circle tiara it hasn't been seen in years.

Lucky they have the Danish tiara Events to wear their jewels and Sashes !

The next Event will be the tiara wedding in Sweden , I don't know if the whole Greek family will attend ?

The Danish Queen will turn 75 in April. Since Prince Henrik's 75th BD had a tiara dinner, I hope that there will be one for the Queen as well. If so, the Greek attendence will probably be more numerous than at the wedding in Sweden.

Queen Anne Marie and King Karl Gustav are first cousins, so I think that some Greek royals will attend. At Victoria's wedding Queen Anne Marie wore the ruby parure, Alexia wore her own, and Tatiana attended as a fiance without wearing a tiara. At Madeleine's wedding Queen Anne Marie and Alexia did not attend, MC wore the fringe, Theodora wore Alexia's diamond tiara and Tatiana wore the antique corsage tiara. So I think that at least two or three Greek ladies will attend Carl Philip's wedding.

What I'd really like to see is all Greek ladies attending the same tiara event. I want to know how they split up the tiaras. The queen usually does not share the ruby, emerald and Khedive tiaras. Alexia and MC have their own, but there is only the antique corsage tiara left for Tatiana and Theodora. What will they do, if Theodora can't borrow from Alexia? I'm too curious to know:).

The Danish Queen will turn 75 in April. Since Prince Henrik's 75th BD had a tiara dinner, I hope that there will be one for the Queen as well. If so, the Greek attendence will probably be more numerous than at the wedding in Sweden.

Queen Anne Marie and King Karl Gustav are first cousins, so I think that some Greek royals will attend. At Victoria's wedding Queen Anne Marie wore the ruby parure, Alexia wore her own, and Tatiana attended as a fiance without wearing a tiara. At Madeleine's wedding Queen Anne Marie and Alexia did not attend, MC wore the fringe, Theodora wore Alexia's diamond tiara and Tatiana wore the antique corsage tiara. So I think that at least two or three Greek ladies will attend Carl Philip's wedding.

What I'd really like to see is all Greek ladies attending the same tiara event. I want to know how they split up the tiaras. The queen usually does not share the ruby, emerald and Khedive tiaras. Alexia and MC have their own, but there is only the antique corsage tiara left for Tatiana and Theodora. What will they do, if Theodora can't borrow from Alexia? I'm too curious to know:).

Maria Olympia has now turned 18. As she owns the fringe tiara it could very well be that Marie Chantal will not wear it anymore. At last not when also Maria Olympia attends.

Maria Olympia has now turned 18. As she owns the fringe tiara it could very well be that Marie Chantal will not wear it anymore. At last not when also Maria Olympia attends.
Yes, it will be interesting to see Maria Olympia with the fringe! I hope she'll attend some royal events soon. Marie Chantal still has the large diamond tiara to wear, so we might see that one more often in the future.

I have always found it ironic that Anne-Marie, with no kingdom to be Queen of, has more "serious" tiaras than Queen Margarethe of Denmark.

I have always found it ironic that Anne-Marie, with no kingdom to be Queen of, has more "serious" tiaras than Queen Margarethe of Denmark.

I do not know if it is true, but if yes, is quite normal. Do not forget the two "heavy" lineages ofthe GRF, i.e. the Romanov (Queen Olga) and the Hohenzollers (Queen Sofia of Greece, and Queen Federika of Greece). The three above princesses came to Greece to become Queens, so they received "the best" jewels from their families. This could explain.

I do not know if it is true, but if yes, is quite normal. Do not forget the two "heavy" lineages ofthe GRF, i.e. the Romanov (Queen Olga) and the Hohenzollers (Queen Sofia of Greece, and Queen Federika of Greece). The three above princesses came to Greece to become Queens, so they received "the best" jewels from their families. This could explain.

Fair point.

Yes I have thought about that too,given the exile and abolition of the Monarchy in 1974.

Queen Anne-Marie’s tiara collection certainly is very impressive and beautiful, but I wouldn’t call it more serious than that of her sister Queen Margrethe.
The Greek queen has four tiaras
- ruby parure
- emerald parure
- Khedive tiara
- antique corsage tiara (which is no longer worn by the Queen herself but only by her daughter and daughter-in-law)

The Danish Queen has 7 (or eight, depending on how you count):
- emerald parure from the crown jewels
- Orange Nassau pearl-poire tiara
- Baden palmette tiara
- three-part-aigrette tiara
- turquoise bandeau of Princess Margret of Connaught
- the golden poppies (well, I guess I have to mention them)
- the Naasut tiara
- floral tiara (now lent to Princess Marie)
Not to forget that the Danish emerald and pearl tiara outrun everything in the Greek collection in terms of age and historical importance.

Queen Anne-Marie’s tiara collection certainly is very impressive and beautiful, but I wouldn’t call it more serious than that of her sister Queen.
The Greek queen has four tiaras
- ruby parure
- emerald parure
- Khedive tiara
- antique corsage tiara (which is no longer worn by the Queen herself but only by her daughter and daughter-in-law)

The Danish Queen has 7 (or eight, depending on how you count):
- emerald parure from the crown jewels
- Orange Nassau pearl-poire tiara
- Baden palmette tiara
- three-part-aigrette tiara
- turquoise bandeau of Princess Margret of Connaught
- the golden poppies (well, I guess I have to mention them)
- the Naasut tiara
- floral tiara (now lent to Princess Marie)
Not to forget that the Danish emerald and pearl tiara outrun everything in the Greek collection in terms of age and historical importance.

And if she had not given the Alexandrine drop tiara to Alexandra as gift she would have also this one. The Baden palmette tiara is also older then the greek tiaras and has also a long history to it although it seems it has not worn for quiet a long time earlier in the 20th century.

And if she had not given the Alexandrine drop tiara to Alexandra as gift she would have also this one. The Baden palmette tiara is also older then the greek tiaras and has also a long history to it although it seems it has not worn for quiet a long time earlier in the 20th century.
You are quite right about the palmette tiara. Though the Greek antique corsage tiara has a similarly long history, as it also goes back to the Duchess of Baden. Only that hasn't always been a tiara, but was converted into one for Anne Marie's 18th birthday.

Tiaras Anne Marie wore at royal weddings and celebrations:

Joachim and Marie: 1 2

Haakon and Mette Marit: 1

Frederik and Mary: 1 2 3

Joachim and Marie: 1

Victoria and Daniel: 1

Guillaume and Stephanie: 1

Queen Anne Marie Jewellery

I'm surprised that the ruby, diamond tiara from Egypt and emerald tiara hasn't been lent to Anne Marie's daughter in laws or her own daughters. Marie Chantal had to buy her own tiara, Theodora has been given Alexia's hand me down and Tatiana has been delegated the diamond corsage tiara. I know Queen Anne Marie doesn't have that many tiaras compared to other monarchs but she doesn't seem to be too generous with the big guns.

I'm surprised that the ruby, diamond tiara from Egypt and emerald tiara hasn't been lent to Anne Marie's daughter in laws or her own daughters. Marie Chantal had to buy her own tiara, Theodora has been given Alexia's hand me down and Tatiana has been delegated the diamond corsage tiara. I know Queen Anne Marie doesn't have that many tiaras compared to other monarchs but she doesn't seem to be too generous with the big guns.

I think it is fair that she holds on to the larger tiaras for herself, most royal houses do that. That said, M-C has been seen wearing Queen Frederika's big whopper, which A-M has not been seen wearing publicly.

Digressing somewhat, at the end of A-M's life, I would like to see the Khedieve tiara return to the Danish royal family, just as I would like to see the Star and Pearl tiara Benedikte uses return. Unlikely as it may be, to me, these jewels have a Danish heritage, and ought to return there, once the daughters of Queen Ingrid have used them in their lifetime. This would allow future Danish princesses and Queen's to get to use them. Should this not happen, as is likely, these jewels will just end up being sold, and leave these families forever. Queen Margarethe and the Danish royal family have done a great job of supporting her sisters, especially A-M, through thick and thin, and I think this would be a nic gesture.

I think it is fair that she holds on to the larger tiaras for herself, most royal houses do that. That said, M-C has been seen wearing Queen Frederika's big whopper, which A-M has not been seen wearing publicly.

Digressing somewhat, at the end of A-M's life, I would like to see the Khedieve tiara return to the Danish royal family, just as I would like to see the Star and Pearl tiara Benedikte uses return. Unlikely as it may be, to me, these jewels have a Danish heritage, and ought to return there, once the daughters of Queen Ingrid have used them in their lifetime. This would allow future Danish princesses and Queen's to get to use them. Should this not happen, as is likely, these jewels will just end up being sold, and leave these families forever. Queen Margarethe and the Danish royal family have done a great job of supporting her sisters, especially A-M, through thick and thin, and I think this would be a nic gesture.

Actually, both the Khedive of Egypt and Star and Pearl tiaras are Swedish heirlooms, brought to Denmark by Queen Ingrid. So if we follow your line of thinking the jewels should return to Sweden.

Actually, both the Khedive of Egypt and Star and Pearl tiaras are Swedish heirlooms, brought to Denmark by Queen Ingrid. So if we follow your line of thinking the jewels should return to Sweden.

You are right, though I guess the question is at what stage in the history of these jewels do you draw the line. My sense is for now, just going back to the parents of the current is probably good enough.

It's true those specific tiaras are of Danish decent but Queen Ingrid gave them to her daughters so it's their right to see how and where they end up. I could see Anne Marie's tiara go back if her children were not royals of Greece and Denmark since Greece's monarchy is abolished. But since they're are technically still royals of Denmark they have the right to use that tiara. It's true that because they aren't working royals of Denmark it probably won't be used much but it is still their right to keep it. I guess we'll just have to see what Anne Marie decides when the time comes.

And I understand what you mean about the QAM holding onto the larger tiaras but it's getting a little boring watching the younger royal ladies wearing only one specific tiara.

I had a question about QAM jewels. It's been said that the King and the Queen had to leave with almost nothing in the middle of the night after the military took over Greece. So how did she take all of her jewels with her? Is there any info on that?

I'm also thinking there might be legal reasons why Queen Fredericka's diamond tiara hasn't been seen until now. Maybe it was considered part of the state and wasn't supposed to leave Greece? I'm just guessing here but if anyone has accurate info I'd appreciate it!

The Greeks have a lot of tiaras and if the monachy is not restored there will be no more King and Queen after Constantine and Anne-Marie and no more Crown Prince and Crown Princess after Pavlos and Marie Chantal. Just Princes and Princess'es as pretenders to the throne. So in my opinion they don't really need the Khedive after Queen Anne-Marie has departed so to ever see it again and avoid to have it sold at an auction the best thing that can happen is that it returns to the DRF jewel Box in Copenhagen.

It's true those specific tiaras are of Danish decent but Queen Ingrid gave them to her daughters so it's their right to see how and where they end up. I could see Anne Marie's tiara go back if her children were not royals of Greece and Denmark since Greece's monarchy is abolished. But since they're are technically still royals of Denmark they have the right to use that tiara. It's true that because they aren't working royals of Denmark it probably won't be used much but it is still their right to keep it. I guess we'll just have to see what Anne Marie decides when the time comes.

And I understand what you mean about the QAM holding onto the larger tiaras but it's getting a little boring watching the younger royal ladies wearing only one specific tiara.

I had a question about QAM jewels. It's been said that the King and the Queen had to leave with almost nothing in the middle of the night after the military took over Greece. So how did she take all of her jewels with her? Is there any info on that?

I'm also thinking there might be legal reasons why Queen Fredericka's diamond tiara hasn't been seen until now. Maybe it was considered part of the state and wasn't supposed to leave Greece? I'm just guessing here but if anyone has accurate info I'd appreciate it!

The so-called Queen Frederika's diamond tiara was actually a wedding gift that the then Princess Sophie of Prussia brought with her to Greece, Frederika was her daughter in law. I do not see how it could be perceived as 'State Property'

The younger Greek Royals will continue to receive invitations to Danish gala events, even after Anne-Marie passes away. I'm sure that they will want to hang on to their heirlooms as long as possible, and they are intitled to.

We may all wish to see the Khedive tiara return to Danmark. But that is us, it does not mean that the Greek RF is not intitled to keep it. And if they ever have to sell this jewel, they will probably first offer it to their cousin and friend Frederik, who by then will most likely be King. Or the next generation might offer it to Christian for sale. But I see no reason why the "poor" relations should give it to the rich relations for free.

Last edited:
We will continue to see the Khedive after QAM dies because it's the wedding tiara for all female descendants of Queen Ingrid. So we should see Theodora then Isabella and Princess Alexia's daughters wearign the Khedive. Pavlos and MC's daughter will probably wear the Antique Corsage tiara as that seems to be the GRF tradition. It will depend on how important that tradition is to MO.

Last edited:
Does anyone know who owns Queen Sophie’s Diamond Tiara seeing as I don't think I've ever seen Queen Anne-Marie wearing it ,perhaps Queen Frederika left it to her nephew Crown Prince Pavlos?

Does anyone know who owns Queen Sophie’s Diamond Tiara seeing as I don't think I've ever seen Queen Anne-Marie wearing it ,perhaps Queen Frederika left it to her nephew Crown Prince Pavlos?
No, it is not publicly known. There has been much speculation going on since MC wore it. Some believe that Marie Chantale bought it back from someone. Others (me included) believe that Pavlos has inherited it from his grandmother Q Federika, and that there is some obscure reason why it stayed in the vault since Federika's death.

Queen Anne-Marie is happily the Queen of Denmark's Sister and therefore as ex Consort Queen has many occasions to wear her tiaras.

No, it is not publicly known. There has been much speculation going on since MC wore it. Some believe that Marie Chantale bought it back from someone. Others (me included) believe that Pavlos has inherited it from his grandmother Q Federika, and that there is some obscure reason why it stayed in the vault since Federika's death.

Thanks Tilla C I was also thinking that Crown Prince Pavlos had possibly inherited,one thing foe sure Queen Sophie's Diamond Tiara is a spectacular piece to have!

The Greeks have a lot of tiaras and if the monachy is not restored there will be no more King and Queen after Constantine and Anne-Marie and no more Crown Prince and Crown Princess after Pavlos and Marie Chantal. Just Princes and Princess'es as pretenders to the throne. So in my opinion they don't really need the Khedive after Queen Anne-Marie has departed so to ever see it again and avoid to have it sold at an auction the best thing that can happen is that it returns to the DRF jewel Box in Copenhagen.

They are still prince and princesses of Denmark. So they're not "pretending." They will still be invited to royal events and such in Denmark and if they choose to wear the khedive tiara it is their choice. And as another posted stated it is for the Danish princesses to wear on their wedding day so I'm sure we will see it on many royal princesses to come. Seeing that Queen Anne Marie has such a close relationship with her sisters I doubt she would let it be sold at auction without giving prince Fredrick, Joachim, Christian or any of Fred and Mary's kids the chance to buy it first. Who knows! All I'm saying is it's highly doubtful it will end up on the auction block.

Queen Anne Marie Jewellery

They are still prince and princesses of Denmark. So they're not "pretending." They will still be invited to royal events and such in Denmark and if they choose to wear the khedive tiara it is their choice. And as another posted stated it is for the Danish princesses to wear on their wedding day so I'm sure we will see it on many royal princesses to come. Seeing that Queen Anne Marie has such a close relationship with her sisters I doubt she would let it be sold at auction without giving prince Fredrick, Joachim, Christian or any of Fred and Mary's kids the chance to buy it first. Who knows! All I'm saying is it's highly doubtful it will end up on the auction block.

The younger Greek Royals will continue to receive invitations to Danish gala events, even after Anne-Marie passes away. I'm sure that they will want to hang on to their heirlooms as long as possible, and they are intitled to.

We may all wish to see the Khedive tiara return to Danmark. But that is us, it does not mean that the Greek RF is not intitled to keep it. And if they ever have to sell this jewel, they will probably first offer it to their cousin and friend Frederik, who by then will most likely be King. Or the next generation might offer it to Christian for sale. But I see no reason why the "poor" relations should give it to the rich relations for free.

We have to wait and see what happens :) Hopefully Anne-Marie will be with us for many years to come so we does not have to Face the question.

The Khedive is probably Anne-Maries personal property as she inherited from her Mother so no one else from the Greek royal family can come and say that they have the right to wear it. If it belongs to Anne-Marie she and her alone will decide it's fate when she has departed.

Last edited:

I don't think that it has been suggested that it return for free to the DRF vaults. A fair price is what ought to be paid, IMO.

Jewels she wore at Alexia's wedding:

The earrings and necklace are amazing! I simply love sapphires with pearls. These are just stunning.

Back
Top Bottom