Princess Sofia of Sweden Jewels 1: Ending 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aftonbladet's royal expert Jenny Alexandersson tells at her blog, that Johan T Lindwall, the new editor-in-chief of Svensk Damtidning, tells at his first issue of SD that Sofia's tiara was initially a necklace which queen Silvia got as a gift from a prince of Thailand. The necklace was sent to Thailand to be converted, the queen did not want to take the risk to do it in Sweden because it was a well kept secret until the wedding day when Sofia got it as a gift.
Hemligheten bakom prinsessan Sofias diadem _ Hovbloggen

Aftonbladet's royal expert Jenny Alexandersson tells at her blog, that Johan T Lindwall, the new editor-in-chief of Svensk Damtidning, tells at his first issue of SD that Sofia's tiara was initially a necklace which queen Silvia got as a gift from a prince of Thailand. The necklace was sent to Thailand to be converted, the queen did not want to take the risk to do it in Sweden because it was a well kept secret until the wedding day when Sofia got it as a gift.

Hmm so if Sofia didn't get it until her wedding day did she have no plans to wear a tiara or did she plan to wear another one?

I don't think they mean as a secret from Sofia. Just that it wasn't public knowledge. No one knew what or if she would war a tiara. Remember all the guessing pre wedding. By having the tiara work done abroad, rumors didn't get out about a new tiara. Everyone was surprised on her wedding. I highly doubt Sofia had a tiara planned and then on wedding day silvia goes oh wait you are wearing this instead. :D

Last edited:
How interesting! It always looked as if it could also be a necklace, so I hope that it is still convertible to give Sofia the chance to wear it as necklace as well. The article also makes me wonder when the jewel was given to the Queen. How long did she let it sit in her jewel box without wearing it? And how on earth did Lindwall find out, if it was such a secret?

I agree, Countessmeout, it's unlikely that Sofia didn't know it. The King and Queen wouldn't deny her the chance to plan her wedding outfit around the wedding tiara.

Svensk Damtidning tells at their paper issue that their information provider tells that Sofia's tiara is new, and from Thailand.
Queen Silvia got it as a gift some years ago by a prince of the Thai royal family. It was converted into a diadem, once it became clear that Carl Philip would marry Sofia. The idea was to give it to Sofia as a wedding present. They had not been able to keep it a secret if the necklace would have been converted in Sweden.
The director of the court press department, Margareta Thorgren, comments to Svensk Damtidning that it is a private present from the queen to princess Sofia and there is nothing they will comment.

That's a great story, we just need to establish if it is true..

I don't think they mean as a secret from Sofia. Just that it wasn't public knowledge. No one knew what or if she would war a tiara. Remember all the guessing pre wedding. By having the tiara work done abroad, rumors didn't get out about a new tiara. Everyone was surprised on her wedding. I highly doubt Sofia had a tiara planned and then on wedding day silvia goes oh wait you are wearing this instead. :D

It wasn't much of a secret since there were rumors for months before the wedding. I distinctly remember that it was whispered that Carl Philip had gotten Sofia a new tiara.

So, not much of a secret at all. :whistling:

I wonder which necklace it was. Was it one we've seen? If so, I have an idea of what it was. I would love to know, just to see how they redesigned it.

Last edited:
Isn't it rude towards the person who gave the gift to Silvia, to transform the gift, that she obviously didn't like (thus never wore in public) into a tiara for her future DIL?

I personally don't like the tiara, it looks like a beauty queen contest piece (compared to what is going on in the SRF vault) and understand the gesture rather like a hand-me-down for Sofia, killing two birds with one stone, saving money and getting rid of an unloved piece.

Isn't it rude towards the person who gave the gift to Silvia, to transform the gift, that she obviously didn't like (thus never wore in public) into a tiara for her future DIL?

I personally don't like the tiara, it looks like a beauty queen contest piece (compared to what is going on in the SRF vault) and understand the gesture rather like a hand-me-down for Sofia, killing two birds with one stone, saving money and getting rid of an unloved piece.

there's no confirmation on if it's a piece Silvia has worn or not (I think), so I couldn't say. Either way, she did at least have it sent back to Thailand to be changed. We used to see dismantling and redesigning a lot more often, so I don't know if I'd say it's outright rude, but a little...unprofessional, maybe?

I would be a touch hurt if someone had a piece I gifted redesigned, but ultimately, my tastes differ from others. As long as their using the jewels, who cares? just my opinion.

I am disappointed. Was excited to see Sofia in new tiara. The small cut steel is so under whelming, on the level of Madeleine she Victoria's starter, though a bit bigger. Compared to her sister in laws in the Connaught and big cut steel, she is almost missed. I would have preferred even one of the buttons.

If that was going to be her new debut, I would have preferred it tomorrow for the smaller event. Her emerald tiara has more bling, and would have looked great with her dress.

Last edited:
I think she looks nice in the Small Cut Steel Tiara. Even though her emerald tiara would have looked good with her dress, I'm happy to see her in anew tiara and lovely hairdo.

I agree, this tiara would have better been left till tomorrow. Besides, I dislike the odd v-shape of the tiara, and I have yet to see a hairstyle that makes this jewel look good. Last not least, this gown looks like it was meant to accompany the emeralds.

Oh I agree, fantastic we see her in something new. I just wish since they picked the big bling night to do it, she had been loaned something a bit more significant. Even the diamond rivière, which at least has bling if not size. This one just seems better suited to tomorrow's dinner.

I also wish she would choose an updo. With this tiara even more than her own, a good tiara hairdo is needed to make it shine.

Its nice to see Princess Sofia wearing another tiara and a bit of variety ,it might be her hairstyle but the tiara doesn't look quite right.

Considering that it is only steel, the sparkle of it is really amazing. And I'm very content to see Sofia with a second tiara. But it's just not good with the hairstyle and the gown.

I expected a new tiara for Sofia today, and I think this one looks very good on her!

Maybe this time her wedding tiara would have matched the dress, had she wore it last year...

I think the small cut stell tiara looks quiet good on Sofia. Better then her own emerald tiara has looked the few times she has worn it.

Great to see Sofia in a new tiara but the hairstyle doesn't live up to it.

Great to see Sofia in a new tiara but the hairstyle doesn't live up to it.

I agree, I hate this hairstyle. But I think we allow all women who are new to tiaras a few misses in the tiara hair department. Kinda like how cats get nine lives. ;)

In between all the tralala, the ladies looking like a bonbonnière, I liked Princess Sofia's sober appearance. She looked crisp in her simple dress and her diadem was complementair. For me the runner up of the evening, as of course the real winners were the most esteemed laureates.

Has anyone seen a good pics from the broosh she is wearing. I'm sure it one rom the Vaults. I noticed now that she is not wearing the backcomb with the tiara like Victoria did and i think it looks better without it.

Last edited:
Is is true that the bracelet Sofia has on tonight belonged to Lilian?

I think she looks lovely in this tiara...it suits her.

LaRae

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom