The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-10-2015, 12:44 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Yeah, there's something that is preventing me from loving this on her. I'm not sure if it's her hairstyle, or the placement of the tiara.

Old 12-10-2015, 12:48 PM
Heir Apparent

I think that is the placement of tiara but it is very beautiful tiara anyway!!

Old 12-10-2015, 12:59 PM
Imperial Majesty

Sofia tiara and its position reminds me of Queen Victoria style of doing things.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 12-10-2015, 01:02 PM
Super Moderator

I get the impression that the tiara has a very small diameter. So it can only be placed high on the head instead of framing it.

I'm looking forward to better pics of her earrings. From what I could see until now they are matching well with the tiara, but are not a set. Is that a pearl on the top of the earrings, or is it only diamonds?

Old 12-10-2015, 01:07 PM
Heir Apparent

Sofia's tiara is quite beautiful but to me it looks awkwardly set in her heard... Doesn't her hairdresser know how to place a tiara?

I also like the earrings and I'm thinking they might be from the same parure: perhaps they weren't worn at the wedding because they would have looked too much...

As for other jewels: I didn't spot any Bernadotte's heirloom; a necklace owouldn't have fit the dres, but perhaps I was expecting a bracelet... oh well...
Old 12-10-2015, 02:18 PM
Super Moderator

She wears a brooch on her sash, I think it is the lozenge brooch from the Bernadotte Foundation.

Old 12-10-2015, 02:20 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty91charmed View Post
Sofia's tiara is quite beautiful but to me it looks awkwardly set in her heard... Doesn't her hairdresser know how to place a tiara?
For the Wedding her hair was done by her friend who also made the hair and Makeup when she participated in the TV-Show
Old 12-10-2015, 02:37 PM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

http://media.shootitlive.com/4FsTGob...expressen/2105
http://media.shootitlive.com/SSlBBjE...expressen/2105

hairstyle and placing of the tiara are really odd!

close up
http://media.shootitlive.com/5L4IXtc...sen/2105%20%A0
http://media.shootitlive.com/TWlayWd...expressen/2105
Old 12-10-2015, 03:11 PM
Heir Apparent

In 2015 A tittle of Princess of Sweden , a tiara , an order , a baby !
Old 12-10-2015, 03:58 PM
Courtier

I think I actually like her dress, and I love her tiara/earrings, but not together on this look. They don't seem to go with the dress or the hair but are great on their own. She definitely needs to get away from the swept back, tight to head style when she wears a tiara. especially the part down the middle. does nothing to show off the tiara.
Old 12-10-2015, 04:06 PM
Serene Highness

Her hair is too flat on top

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 12-10-2015, 04:06 PM
Gentry

I agree with you about the hairstyle and placing of the tiara. Sofia has so delicate face features that one assumes she would look good in anything but the parting and the placement of the diadem makes her forehead look really tall.

I find the tiara quite odd. The lower part of the tiara looks to me like a 1930s art deco tiara with palmette motives, but the pear shaped emeralds and the diamonds in between on top looks as if they have been added later and it does not look good(imo). What do you all think? If it had been a 1930s tiara I also think its frame would have looked different, it would have been more in the halo style. Maybe it was a necklace? It would be interesting to read your opinions on it.

By the way, I think her her is done by her friend from the reallity show, Marre, and not by the Queen's and the princesses' hairdressers, so maybe he is not used to tiara hair yet.
Old 12-10-2015, 04:18 PM
Courtier

Does anyone know more about the earrings? Are they hers, or has she borrowed them? New or old?
Old 12-10-2015, 04:42 PM
Heir Apparent

I think she looks OK. The tiara might not be perfect, but at least she's learned how to wear the sash. (ETA: No she hasn't. The sash still needs work.)
Old 12-10-2015, 04:51 PM
Royal Highness

The tiara should have been placed where her hair parted downwards (if that makes sense?). Or the other way around and her hair around the side should have been higher up.
However, the more I look at this tiara, the more I think this one could have benefitted from being wider in frame.
Old 12-10-2015, 04:54 PM
Nobility

I had to go back and look at the wedding pics to see the tiara again as I remember there were "concerns" about the way it was placed on her head at that time. To my untrained eye it looked wonderful and the placement seemed to be the same today. Overall I liked her whole look but I prefer brighter colors on Princess Sofia. I did like the way her hair was done today especially the back view.
Old 12-10-2015, 05:23 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenobia View Post
Does anyone know more about the earrings? Are they hers, or has she borrowed them? New or old?
There hasn't been any info of them, but the famous swedish etiquette expert Magdalena Ribbing said on SVT's live coverage, that those kind of diamond/emerald earrings cost one million SEK.

The more I see Sofia's tiara, the less I like it. It is very small and odd-shaped. I wonder if it will ever look good on her head. And she could have placed that gorgeous brooch in the middle of her sash. Now it looks bad.

Svensk Damtidning asked about Sofia's tiara from Sophia Åkerlund, a jewelry expert at auction house Bukowskis.
- Princess Sofia's diadem is really awesome and suits her so good. It's old, it's not freshly made. I have not seen any close-ups of it, but it looks to be a bit art deco style, some 1920-1930's. It appears to consist of droplet-shaped fine emeralds. Probably they bought it abroad, perhaps in London. There is nothing I know from a Swedish market.
Historien bakom Sofias diadem | Svensk Damtidning
Old 12-10-2015, 05:34 PM
Nobility

Sofia's tiara looks like it was made for a 12 year old.
Old 12-10-2015, 05:50 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
[...]

Svensk Damtidning asked about Sofia's tiara from Sophia Åkerlund, a jewelry expert at auction house Bukowskis.
- Princess Sofia's diadem is really awesome and suits her so good. It's old, it's not freshly made. I have not seen any close-ups of it, but it looks to be a bit art deco style, some 1920-1930's. It appears to consist of droplet-shaped fine emeralds. Probably they bought it abroad, perhaps in London. There is nothing I know from a Swedish market.
Historien bakom Sofias diadem | Svensk Damtidning
Tbh, this sounds as if she knows nothing and assumes everything. She doesn't seem to have a good source saying that it is old, but just assumes it from looking at the style.

I'm not saying that it is not old, but I would say it is simply not known. Cartier has made contempory art deco style jewelry and other jewellers might have done too.

Old 12-10-2015, 05:56 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
And she could have placed that gorgeous brooch in the middle of her sash. Now it looks bad.
At first I only noticed that she had a brooch on, and I was pleased, and I suppose I assumed that it would have been placed in the middle of the sash because, well, why wouldn't she have placed it in the middle of the sash? You'd think commonsense would dictate that's where you'd put it. Surely she looked in a mirror to see what it looked like. It's on her chest, so she could see it. So why on earth did she put it where she put it?

The tiara us if such narrow diameter it seems to have been designed to just be plonked on top of her head rather than around it. I would like to grab it and bend it out.