Princess Sofia of Sweden Jewels 1: Ending 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The tiara should have been placed where her hair parted downwards (if that makes sense?). Or the other way around and her hair around the side should have been higher up.
However, the more I look at this tiara, the more I think this one could have benefitted from being wider in frame.

I had to go back and look at the wedding pics to see the tiara again as I remember there were "concerns" about the way it was placed on her head at that time. To my untrained eye it looked wonderful and the placement seemed to be the same today. Overall I liked her whole look but I prefer brighter colors on Princess Sofia. I did like the way her hair was done today especially the back view.

Does anyone know more about the earrings? Are they hers, or has she borrowed them? New or old?

There hasn't been any info of them, but the famous swedish etiquette expert Magdalena Ribbing said on SVT's live coverage, that those kind of diamond/emerald earrings cost one million SEK.

The more I see Sofia's tiara, the less I like it. It is very small and odd-shaped. I wonder if it will ever look good on her head. And she could have placed that gorgeous brooch in the middle of her sash. Now it looks bad.

Svensk Damtidning asked about Sofia's tiara from Sophia Åkerlund, a jewelry expert at auction house Bukowskis.
- Princess Sofia's diadem is really awesome and suits her so good. It's old, it's not freshly made. I have not seen any close-ups of it, but it looks to be a bit art deco style, some 1920-1930's. It appears to consist of droplet-shaped fine emeralds. Probably they bought it abroad, perhaps in London. There is nothing I know from a Swedish market.
Historien bakom Sofias diadem | Svensk Damtidning

Sofia's tiara looks like it was made for a 12 year old.

[...]

Svensk Damtidning asked about Sofia's tiara from Sophia Åkerlund, a jewelry expert at auction house Bukowskis.
- Princess Sofia's diadem is really awesome and suits her so good. It's old, it's not freshly made. I have not seen any close-ups of it, but it looks to be a bit art deco style, some 1920-1930's. It appears to consist of droplet-shaped fine emeralds. Probably they bought it abroad, perhaps in London. There is nothing I know from a Swedish market.
Historien bakom Sofias diadem | Svensk Damtidning
Tbh, this sounds as if she knows nothing and assumes everything. She doesn't seem to have a good source saying that it is old, but just assumes it from looking at the style.

I'm not saying that it is not old, but I would say it is simply not known. Cartier has made contempory art deco style jewelry and other jewellers might have done too.

And she could have placed that gorgeous brooch in the middle of her sash. Now it looks bad.

At first I only noticed that she had a brooch on, and I was pleased, and I suppose I assumed that it would have been placed in the middle of the sash because, well, why wouldn't she have placed it in the middle of the sash? You'd think commonsense would dictate that's where you'd put it. Surely she looked in a mirror to see what it looked like. It's on her chest, so she could see it. So why on earth did she put it where she put it? :huh:

The tiara us if such narrow diameter it seems to have been designed to just be plonked on top of her head rather than around it. I would like to grab it and bend it out.

Last edited:
The tiara is strange placed in her hair. it should have been a little bit backwars then it would have looked much better.
Or an other kind of hairdo, now it looks like it accidentally landed there.

Don't like the Emerald and diamond tiara of Sofia - it appears so small in comparison to the size of a person's head almost as though it were designed for Queen Victoria who had a very petite head and frame and all her crowns and tiaras were small

I also noticed that Sofia's family order has an updated picture of the King rather than what his daughters and wife wear which is a old portrait of him as a young man

^ Yes, I agree. It doesn't suit Sofia's head at all. It's a mini starter tiara, plus the emeralds didn't really suit her gown. I hope she will graduate in a couple of years to a neutral diamond tiara. Perhaps her husband could buy one! In a way Sofia is unfortunate, as she has a mother in law who loves her tiaras and looks magnificent in them and two sisters in law who have the pick of the crop so to speak, in the jewellery department.

She wears a brooch on her sash, I think it is the lozenge brooch from the Bernadotte Foundation.

I was just about to ask what Brooch she was wearing,I have mixed feelings on her tiara.

^ Yes, I agree. It doesn't suit Sofia's head at all. It's a mini starter tiara, plus the emeralds didn't really suit her gown. I hope she will graduate in a couple of years to a neutral diamond tiara. Perhaps her husband could buy one! In a way Sofia is unfortunate, as she has a mother in law who loves her tiaras and looks magnificent in them and two sisters in law who have the pick of the crop so to speak, in the jewellery department.

I think the real problem is, while I admire her loyalty to a friend, if it is the same friend who did Sofia's hair for the Wedding, then it's time to move on to whoever it is who does the hair for the rest of the Royal Ladies. I'd like to see what happens w/her hair when it's done by someone who knows what to do when a Tiara is going to worn. Until that happens, I sadly think we're in for more appearances of Sofia looking like it was plonked on as an afterthought, instead of it being the highlight it should be.

Which is a shame, as it is IMO, such a pretty Tiara and deserves to be properly shown at it's best.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

I like the style of her tiara but I just do not like the color of those stones. The green looks fake or plastic..something.

LaRae

I like the tiara, the placement and everything about her look on this occasion. :flowers: I think she is doing well. This intense scrutiny is harrowing. ;) I'm sure in the 'brush past' she looked splendid. JMO.

I agree, that the tiara is a smaller one..... still not sure, whether it suits her or not. I guess I have to see her more ften - in different hairstyles.
Curious, what she will wear at the second evening.
And: I fully agree with the Queen and the sisters in law comment :ROFLMAO:.... not the easiest time for her - jewel-wise. Thank god, the jewel-casket is a really big one in Sweden :lol::lol::lol:!
BYe Bine

I always like this tiara from the start as I love emeralds. But it is rather a small tiara and I think that if Sofia's hair was put higher on top of her head, the tiara could sit against it. Her hairstyle last night was lovely, but would have suited a more crown-shaped tiara.

For the Wedding her hair was done by her friend who also made the hair and Makeup when she participated in the TV-Show

Yes, I know.That's why I asked! IMO, she should fire him and employ a tiara-expert hairdresser. No offence, but I'm sure her actual friend hasn't experienced tiara's hairstyles so far...

My theory is that Sofia's wedding tiara is too small. Sofia has worn hairstyles that are similar to hairstyles worn by Victoria but Victoria's tiaras do not look as oddly perched. Hopefully she will wear a different tiara tonight and we will see if the odd perching reoccurs.

:previous: Do you mean that they all have worn this tennis bracelet, or does each Princess own one herself?

Princess Sofia Jewellery

I was also hoping for another hairstyle to accommodate this tiara better. I really wished she would have worn the diamond brooch on the back of her bun as Victoria did.

I have a feeling she'll be loaned the small, four button tiara tonight.

Last edited:
:previous: Some posts above Angelkiss posted a pic of Queen Silvia wearing these earrings. They are obviously from the Queen.

Princess Sofia Jewellery

Sofia is wearing her tiara again, plus a diamond bow brooch, diamond earrings and bracelet at the Kings dinner tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom