Queen Mathilde Jewellery 1: Ending 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
These remind me of a leaded/stained glass window- pretty enough, but "royal"?, no way, IMO.

:previous: They are unusual indeed, but I like them, too. :flowers: I also found both the watch and the ring with the blue stone very beautiful. But the gold bracelet is not my cup of tea.

Hans , her fake jewelry are presents of the belgian fashion houses. I agree with you that our Royals should wear more jewelry of the past, but they seem to have no money to buy them.

I would say that it is definitely her tiara! I heard before that it can be worn as a necklace, but have never seen a picture before. If I remember correctly she wore it also at a ball for the Belgium aristocracy (or something like it).

I know that the Belgian RF is poore about jewels specially tiaras but why they don't buy few things like new tiara or some necklaces?
She is the only CPss who have only one tiara.

I don't know the finances of the Begian RF, but Ive always been surprised that Mathilde didn't have a few more jewels. She seems to spend alot on clothes, or at least it would seem. A diamond necklace or brooch or bracelet would be a nice addition!

Magnik and Rubies , you are right it is boring to see Mathilde and Claire with their unique tiara.
Astrid is wearing her stepsmother tiara !
As I wrote before , on importants events the guests are wearing more beautiful jewelry than our royals!

Astrid actually wears a tiara borrowed (I believe) from her mother-in-law, from the family of Austria-Este.

The Belgian RF had several strokes of bad luck in the realm of jewellery, first selling them about a century ago to cover some outstanding debts, then many being inherited (and sold?) by the Princesse de Rethy (or whatever title they gave that woman).

So there is not much in the way of jewellery in the patrimony of the belgians. The dowager queen has some lovely pieces, and I would imagine that these will join the collection of the rest of the family upon her passing.

The jewellery was gifted or left to Princess Liliane by her husband King Leopold III so therefore it was her private property to dispose of at will.
And dispose of it she did.

In my opinion, that was quite selfish and bitter of her. I know that I read in several places that she was upset that she wasn't made queen, but she should had left most of the jewelry to the Royal Family. Again, in my opinion.

Warren , all the jewelry were not her privite proprety.....when she sold Queen's Elisabeth's famous Cartier she asked not to be known.. But as everybody knew her , it was written in Point de Vue (Vincent) sold by Princess Lilian. She was not happy at all.

If she sold the tiara to Cartier it was obviously hers to sell.
If it legally belonged to somebody else then she couldn't have sold it.
I don't understand what you are saying.

Legally or not - I find it just sad that those beautiful pieces have been sold. Does anybody know, who has bought the Cartier tiara?
I am still however wondering, that the Belgium RF is not trying to add some new "real" pieces to their collection. I can't imagine that they would not be that well off. Maybe they don't care.....however, I assume that Queen Fabiolas jewelry will go to the RF - they seem to be quite close to each other.
And maybe there is some Mrs. Greville around, who could leave her jewelry to the Belgium RF. ;)

Legally or not - I find it just sad that those beautiful pieces have been sold. Does anybody know, who has bought the Cartier tiara?
I am still however wondering, that the Belgium RF is not trying to add some new "real" pieces to their collection. I can't imagine that they would not be that well off. Maybe they don't care.....however, I assume that Queen Fabiolas jewelry will go to the RF - they seem to be quite close to each other.
And maybe there is some Mrs. Greville around, who could leave her jewelry to the Belgium RF. ;)

I don't think it is a matter of money either. Firstly, some pieces are not all that expensive (like Mary and Mette-Marit's wedding tiara's for example). And secondly, the king does have enough money, he was recently able to buy a new yacht, so... A pity that he didn't buy his Italian cousins Belgian jewels back, that were autioned.

So I think it is just not one of their priorities. Since the passing of Queen Elisabeth, the style of the Belgian court has been pretty sober, with no big gala's and very little tiara events, apart from state visits. I don't think in Belgium (or in The Netherlands for that matter) a birthday party like Margrethe II's would fall well with the general public (sadly, as I love such display of royalty).

About Fabiola's jewels: though she is close to her Belgian relatives indeed, she also is close to her Luxembourg and her Spanish nephews and nieces. So it is hard to tell what she will do. Maybe she decides to sell everything and give it to a charity? For now, let's hope the Queen has many years left in which she can enjoy her jewelry box.

Last edited:
Dear both,
thank you for your clarifications. So maybe when we see the little princesses growing up - there will be some small additions.

Are there close-up pics and details about the tiara worn by Matilde at the swedish wedding?

I'm not familiar with the Belgian Crown Jewels, but I have to say I like this tiara (name?) and necklace. The earrings don't impress me at all - their design is too plain. JMO

Imo her jewellery was not the right one for her dress. The necklace was not needed, and those earrings look too casual. And although I like her tiara I would love to see her with another, pity that it's not possible.

^ I agree. Mathilde didn't combine this beautiful gown with the right jewellery. I also think the pieces don't match each other either. ;) Though separately they're all very nice.

I love her jewels from the wedding, delicate, elegant, just like her. :)

I liked tiara and necklace and would say they match, even not being a parure clearly.
The problem were the earrings, they didn't match, really.

Earrings don't really sparkle very well. I agree necklace is very pretty (i hope its hers) but doesn't really fit with the line of the dress.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom