Princess Marie of Denmark Jewellery 1: Ending Jun 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not that I want to speculate in any one's death, but out of Queen Margrethe's three cousins, only one has children. I really hope that the tiaras owned by princess Elisabeth and count Ingolf will if not be bequeathed to the queen and her descendants then offered for the family to buy them. There are some nice pieces which it would be nice to have back in the 'main line'. I am so lamenting the fact that queen Ingrid let the Khedive leave Denmark and that queen Margrethe let the drop diamond tiara leave the main line with countess Alexandra.

Not that I want to speculate in any one's death, but out of Queen Margrethe's three cousins, only one has children. I really hope that the tiaras owned by princess Elisabeth and count Ingolf will if not be bequeathed to the queen and her descendants then offered for the family to buy them. There are some nice pieces which it would be nice to have back in the 'main line'. I am so lamenting the fact that queen Ingrid let the Khedive leave Denmark and that queen Margrethe let the drop diamond tiara leave the main line with countess Alexandra.

Yes it would be great if the Queen would buy back the tiaras of pricness Elisabeth and Count Ingolf. And the tiara of Princess Elisabeth would match her russian sapphires.

and that queen Margrethe let the drop diamond tiara leave the main line with countess Alexandra.

I would assume that this is a lifetime loan and that it will eventually go to the wife of either Nikolai or Felix.

If I wear Queen Margrethe I'd be offering Countess Alexandra some sort of barter, for the return of the diamond tiara now in Alexandra's possession. It should NOT have left the dynastic line of inheritance in the first place, and it annoy's me terribly that it did. An entirely nonsensical expression of good favour on behalf of the Queen, I think. God love her for it, but Ma'am...whyyyy?!!! Anything but a tiara with such a history of royal ownership!

Some time after the divorce I read that there was an agreement between Countess Alexandra and the royal family that her tiara would be left to her sons, so that it stays in the family. Still, it will move further away from the royal family with every generation to come.
I just can’t understand why they never put the mayor jewels into a family trust. OK, it might be a long tradition that jewels are personal possessions, but sometimes there is the need to adept to changes.

If I wear Queen Margrethe I'd be offering Countess Alexandra some sort of barter, for the return of the diamond tiara now in Alexandra's possession. It should NOT have left the dynastic line of inheritance in the first place, and it annoy's me terribly that it did. An entirely nonsensical expression of good favour on behalf of the Queen, I think. God love her for it, but Ma'am...whyyyy?!!! Anything but a tiara with such a history of royal ownership!
Even though Joachim and Alex divorced relatively quietly, there wasn't any gr8 love lost between her and the DRF, I can't see any member of the DRF wearing the tiara which is so associated with her, the most sensible thing is for her to leave it to her sons.

Even though Joachim and Alex divorced relatively quietly, there wasn't any gr8 love lost between her and the DRF, I can't see any member of the DRF wearing the tiara which is so associated with her, the most sensible thing is for her to leave it to her sons.

Not now, you're probably right. I think had it stayed with the RF upon her divroce that it could have certainly been used by either the Crown Princess or even (now) Princess Marie.

Sensible that it should henceforth be set on a path destined for 'common' use and heaven forbid it, possibly being sold as has often happened when such items are passed down a branch of a dynasty that integrates into general society? Quite unfortunate, imo.

The only consolation is that there's still at least one generation of Prince's to make use of it. Even if those Prince's don't bare the HRH.

Not now, you're probably right. I think had it stayed with the RF upon her divroce that it could have certainly been used by either the Crown Princess or even (now) Princess Marie.

It could also have used again by the Queen who wore it frequently before she gave it to Alexandra. Actually this is what is better in the swedish and dutch Royal Families. There the tiaras are not so much asociated with certain Royal Ladies as they wear different tiaras.

It could also have used again by the Queen who wore it frequently before she gave it to Alexandra. Actually this is what is better in the swedish and dutch Royal Families. There the tiaras are not so much asociated with certain Royal Ladies as they wear different tiaras.

Certainly so.

I know HM wore the tiara as heiress presumptive, and early on after her succession, but I've not seen photo's of her having worn it well into her reign. Are there any such photographs?

The tiara is so much associated with Alexandra, that I couldn’t imagine any of the current royal ladies, and especially not princess Marie, to wear it, at least for many years. But it would be so good if it were secure for the next generation.

I would assume that this is a lifetime loan and that it will eventually go to the wife of either Nikolai or Felix.
I don't think so. Like Mary's wedding tiara it is a "gift" and as such she can dispose of it however she pleases.:ermm:

It would be nice if it did go to one of her son's but it could be up for auction in Christies next month! :ohmy:

Alexandra could quietly accept money for the tiara and it could go back into the family and be saved for Isabella when she comes of age. Marie would never wear it nor would Mary.
Felix and Nicolai don't need a tiara - even though they are royal, their wives could just borrow from the royal collection when needed.
I believe when a new wife comes into a royal family - unless she has her own tiara - a tiara should be bought for her and it becomes her personal possession. She can borrow from the royal collection when she wishes, but what is already there remains the property of the royal family. This way if the marriage breaks up, one of the historic pieces does not leave the royal family.
Case in point: Princess Margaret of Great Britain bought a tiara when she married in 1960. That magnificent tiara was often worn by her. After her death, the tiara was auctioned off by her children. It is not a great loss as it was not a historic associated with the royal family.

did marie take part of the greek state visit
and if so did she wear a tiara

did marie take part of the greek state visit
and if so did she wear a tiara
She did not take part since the state visit was so shortly after she gave birth.
But I think she will always wear the floral tiara she wore on her wedding. The Danish royal family does not own that many tiaras and they don't share them. While Alexandra was still a princess she also always wore the same tiara, and I can't imagine that they will change this for Marie. (Though I would like to be wrong on this one:ROFLMAO:, I love to see all the bling bling coming out of the vaults!!)

I sooooo agree with all of you as to the tiara usage. Next week in Christies auction there are several tiaras and noble jewels being sold. Its terrible to see collections being broken up. The dutch are very smart as not only their collection will stay in tact, but with the exception of a few tiaras saved for the queen, they can choose from a number of pieces for formal occasions. I wonder why the Danish don't do this?

I sooooo agree with all of you as to the tiara usage. Next week in Christies auction there are several tiaras and noble jewels being sold. Its terrible to see collections being broken up. The dutch are very smart as not only their collection will stay in tact, but with the exception of a few tiaras saved for the queen, they can choose from a number of pieces for formal occasions. I wonder why the Danish don't do this?
this is a good question? i saw the photos in christie website, the zafhiro ones are beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!marie wedding tiara is so beautofull, actually much nicer from the one mary had from her wedding, the one that marie has from where is comming? i mean it was in the family? wonder why mary didn'tgot that one?

this is a good question? i saw the photos in christie website, the zafhiro ones are beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!marie wedding tiara is so beautofull, actually much nicer from the one mary had from her wedding, the one that marie has from where is comming? i mean it was in the family? wonder why mary didn'tgot that one?

The tiara belongs to the Queen and is loaned to Princess Marie.
Afaik it originally belonged to Princess Dagmar, the youngest daughter of King Frederik VIII. But it somehow came back to the main line of the family.

The difference is that the danish tiaras are private owned by the members of the RF, with the exception of the emerald parure who belong to the Crown Jewels and some other important Jewels (like the Orange-nassau pearl Set) who belong to a special Foundation who is for the use of the Monarch. In the Netherlands all major Jewels where put in a Foundation by Queen Juliana and the members of the Royal Family own only some smaller Jewellry like brooches, necklaces etc.

Marie is wearing a beautiful small diamond brooch at both birthday events. Anyone know anything about it?

The conclusion is that Princess Marie hasn't received a royal tiara yet.At least not officially.Does anyone know why and if this is ever gonna happen in the future?

The conclusion is that Princess Marie hasn't received a royal tiara yet.At least not officially.Does anyone know why and if this is ever gonna happen in the future?
My guess is that Marie received the tiara as a long-term loan. So it will be associated with her, but it is made sure that it will stay in the royal family in the case of a divorce. But all this is guesswork. Since the royal family does not give much information about these things it seems impossible to predict if she will ever own a tiara herself.

I was thinking about the same thing,TiliaC.Thank you for confirming my initial thoughts.
{response to deleted post removed - Elspeth}

Last edited by a moderator:
{response to deleted post removed - Elspeth}

I found this post by Bjarne on the Royal Jewels of the World Message Board: Royal Jewels of the World Message Board: Re: Det Kongelige Danske Løsørefideikommis. Bjarne already wrote a book about the Danish Royal Jewels and even he in in the dark concerning the ownership of the tiara.
I personally believe that Queen Margrethe has become more careful about handing out old family heirlooms like the royal tiaras. Many already left the family in her father's generation when Prince Knud inherited several of them. And again in her own generation her sisters were given their own tiaras. On the other hand Queen Ingrid was the last princess to marry into the family and add to the family vaults. The divorce the prince Joachim and countess Alexandra might have been to final straw and caused her to be more protective. So Princess Mary received a tiara with no family connection as a wedding gift and princess Mary got hers as a loan.
But of course this is only my own guess. QM certainly won't let us into her thoughts.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've deleted some personal comments and the resulting fallout. Hopefully normal service will now be resumed.

Elspeth

Last edited:
She looks lovely in this tiara and her gown--but I highly doubt that HM has given it to her for her own use.

Marie
26th July 2009 Henrik's christening - a lovely diamond and sapphire ring which is far nicer than her engagaement ring!

Are we sure that the main stone is a sapphire?It could be a black diamond or whatever.It's really beautiful,no doubt.

It is a thousand times better than that ugly engagement ring. The little prince is beautiful!

I am in total agreement with you, jcb, re: the ring. I don't seem to remember very many pics of her wearing her engagement ring, at least no close-ups. The little prince is adorable...

It looks like a sapphire to me, too. I also prefer it to the wedding ring. The stones on her wedding ring are gorgeous, but the band was too thick and it distracted from the stones.

There is a little gold band that she is wearing with this ring. I wonder if this is also new.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom