The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-10-2007, 09:05 AM
Royal Highness

Well, I suppose she's happy with it because even though she knows its ugly she has comforted herself with the thought of the other jewels she may get to wear and figures it is a small price to pay. I find it hard to believe she loves that ring, she seems so chic, so elegant--but like Glittering Tiaras said, Marie is the one marrying Joachim--I wonder what he will "design" for her gift when she has their first child????

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 10-10-2007, 09:51 PM
Gentry

the ring is pretty.. it's quite unconventional compared to the American palate.. I guess she might do the wedding band on the other hand..

Old 10-10-2007, 09:57 PM
Serene Highness

It's not a bad ring, just not what I would imagine as a good engagement ring. As long as she likes it, that's all that matters. Still, I'm not really a fan of it by any means.
Old 10-11-2007, 04:50 AM
Royal Highness

i like the ring, is out of the regular ones. i just love it. Now i can not wait for see her tiara.
Old 10-11-2007, 06:05 PM
Aristocracy

I don’t like it, was it Marie that chose it. As to her Tiara there is a nice one on the Garades site. How much did the spend on Mary’s Tiara- is Marie expecting something the same?
Old 10-11-2007, 06:22 PM
Courtier

According to the pressconference about the engagement, it was Joachim who chose the ring. About the tiara - so far I don't think anybody knows what is going to be spend on that yet, or how the design is going to be. What Marie is expecting - only she knows.
Old 10-12-2007, 07:40 AM

I like her engagement ring. It's very unconventional but I think that is mostly what I like about it. I will grant that the way the ruby and diamond are set on the band is not great, though. The gold band itself is a little awkward looking. But I still like it for some odd reason! But sometimes I tend to like "ugly" things. It's kind of "ugly pretty" if that makes any sense. (Didn't think so, yeah, it hardly makes sense to me.)
I don't agree that it should be "left to the professionals." I mean, an engagement ring should be a personal thing. The couple should be involved personally in picking it out. it means more this way. Even if the couple's tastes are "ugly," at least it is their thing, and not some cookie cutter choice.
Even for a royal engagement.... It's Prince Joachim, second son. He won't be King; she won't be Queen. So they can afford to be a little quirky. (Within bounds of course).
Old 10-15-2007, 03:21 AM
Royal Highness

Does anyone know the sizes of the stones?
Old 10-22-2007, 11:13 PM
Aristocracy

{quoted material deleted for consistency - Elspeth}

They have to be at least two carats each!

Philip Elmer-Dewitt, in Time Magazine
Old 10-23-2007, 02:26 AM
Heir Presumptive

I have not paid attention to this ring til now and I think as a dress ring it is lovely BUT as an engagement ring it is IMO not appropiate. It does say a lot about this relationship. As I have said in the past he was lucky to woo her and ever a girl fickle enough to think marrying into royalty was a walk in the park would have to be diappointed in this "gesture". My opinion of this fellow has not charged.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:42 PM
Courtier

I think this has to be one of the worst engagement rings I've seen in a long time! It's should be in the "worst jewels" thread imo. But bless her heart for loving that guy anyways! I hope her future jewelry is much classier and prettier.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:41 PM
Courtier

I think the ring is a nice one. Marie looks wonderful no matter what. She seems so happy.
Old 11-09-2007, 06:55 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

i was wondering with the unusual engagement ring of Marie what will the wedding ring be like -plain gold band or one like Mary's of a diamond eternity style ring??

Old 11-10-2007, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHAmy View Post
I think this has to be one of the worst engagement rings I've seen in a long time! It's should be in the "worst jewels" thread imo. But bless her heart for loving that guy anyways! I hope her future jewelry is much classier and prettier.
It is pretty atrocious isn't it?! I think everytime I look at these pictures of it, it becomes more ghastly, but still I like it for some crazy reason.

Though I might agree with bertie that it would be better as a dress ring than engagement ring.... Whatever a "dress ring" is....
Old 11-10-2007, 09:02 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasiraghiTrio View Post
It is pretty atrocious isn't it?! I think everytime I look at these pictures of it, it becomes more ghastly, but still I like it for some crazy reason.
But I saw pictures of her and Joachim in Paris, from a recent number of Billedbladet, and it looked very good on her hand - from a distance. Unlike a lot of the other engagement rings (Camilla's excepted) which might disappear a bit from a distance, Marie's looked really pretty and the rocks seemed more dominant than the gold.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:54 PM
Courtier

What really erks me about it is the band, it has a design on it that looks bad. I'm not sure how it would look with a plain gold band though. I think maybe just a thin gold band with those two stones on it would make it 60% better. I was hoping maybe she would get a eternity band like Princess Letizia's but with either diamond and rubies or diamond and sapphires and if he REALLY wanted to incorporate the colors of the flags then maybe putting the rubies, diamonds and sapphires all around, but I would think that is too much. Maybe I'm just a traditionalist at heart....
Old 11-14-2007, 06:30 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelD View Post
I guess it must be tradition for a Danish Prince to give his fiancee an engagment ring that has the colors of the Danish flag (rubies and diamonds)? Alexandra's....Mary's....and now Marie's....though hers has a sapphire in it too. Anybody know?
It's the national colours of France used in the flag since the revolution. Marie is french...

Old 02-07-2008, 03:46 AM
Courtier

The band is far too thick. Plus, there's too many colours going on for such a small item (like a ring). It looks a bit like a cocktail ring, or other piece of costume jewellery. IMO she should wear the Gold Flower parure of Q Margarethe for her wedding; it'd go great with the ring. ;-)
Old 02-13-2008, 11:47 AM
Heir Apparent

I'd like to see Marie wear the Khedive of Egypt tiara that other royal brides (Princess Anne-Marie, Princess Alexandra of Berleburg and Princess Alexis). It would be a loan from the Queen Anne-Marie but it is such a pretty tiara and would look lovely on Marie.
Old 02-14-2008, 03:17 AM
Royal Highness

I thought it was tradition for brides from the Danish royal family to wear it on their wedding day, rather than brides marrying into the royal family.

Tags
jewellery, marie, marie cavellier, princess marie