Princess Margaret Jewellery

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Josefine

Majesty
Country
Sweden

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 7,968
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 2,007
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 8,112
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 2,094
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 2,552
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 2,005
  • ff.jpg
    ff.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 4,683
Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think it was announced who the Poltimore tiara went too but as it was a wedding gift to Princess Margaret I think that it is unlikely that it went into the royal coffers. The only way this would have happened is if Viscount Linley & Lady Sarah Chatto made a gift of it to HM The Queen. In that case it probably won't be seen again until Prince William marries when, I would think, it could be given to his wife as it wouldn't have the emotiveness of the tiara's that Diana wore during her lifetime.

Last edited:
In the fourth picture Pss Margaret is wearing all the family orders of blue, yellow, pink which I recognize. Is there a fourth peeking out under the pink? Looks like a forest green color?
If so, what order would this be, or who's order.

The upper order (light blue sash) is not a family order, it is the Order of the Imperial Crown of India. If you look closely, it has no picture, but a crown cypher of C &I. This order was established by Queen Victoria when she became Empress of India, and was reserved for ladies (who at the time could not receive other British Orders). It was given to Princesses of the royal house, wives of some native Indian royals and a few ladies with a special relationship with India (wives of Vicroys etc). No more were awarded after India's independence 1947.

Princess Alice Duchess of Gloucester and the present Queen are the only members still living.

Princess Margaret is further wearing three family Orders, those of Queen Elizabeth, King George VI and King George V.

I'm sorry I do not have a better picture of the necklace, though I can offer you some information.
It is an all-diamond necklace, another version of the grand diamond tiara owned by Princess Margaret (the one she wore for her wedding). She occasionally wore the tiara as a necklace like in this picture.

APL Picture

Attachments

• Margaret 01 psd.jpg
    Margaret 01 psd.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 2,005
Mandy said:
APL Picture

The tiara in the picture Mandy posted is the Poltimore tiara that Princess Margaret bought shortly before her marriage and she wore it on her wedding day according to Leslie Field in The Queen's Jewels. Supposedly, she bought it at an estate sale for a bargain price!

Does anyone have pictures of the beautiful diamond and opal tiara that Margaret got from the Queen Mum?? Viscountess Linley wore it on her wedding to PM's son.

Here Tiaraprin, the Papyrus Motive Tiara worn by Margaret.

Attachments

• Papyrus Motive Tiara.jpg
    Papyrus Motive Tiara.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 23,938
  • Papyrus Motive Tiara 3.jpg
    Papyrus Motive Tiara 3.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 3,817
`now thats a nice tiara-- the one that the viscountess wore to her wedding to david linley

The Poltimore tiara was left to Viscount Linley while the Papyrus tiara was left to Lady Sarah.

branchg said:
The Poltimore tiara was left to Viscount Linley while the Papyrus tiara was left to Lady Sarah.

I have never heard this before. When was this information released and where did you hear this from? :)

Three Tiaras

branchg said:
And here are pics of the Papyrus, the Poltimore, and the Persian Turquoise (sall pics from Geoffrey Munn's book "Tiaras: A History of Splendour")...

Attachments

• Papyrus Motif Diamond Tiara.jpg
    Papyrus Motif Diamond Tiara.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 5,702
  • Margaret Poltimore Tiara1.jpg
    Margaret Poltimore Tiara1.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 2,651
  • Margaret Persian Turquoise Tiara.jpg
    Margaret Persian Turquoise Tiara.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 12,148
Last edited:
HMQ Maggie said:
I have never heard this before. When was this information released and where did you hear this from? :)

It was noted in the Spanish publication Hola a few months after the death of Princess Margaret.

She seems to have worn this necklace quite often, any idea who she got it from?

Margaret's riviere diamond necklace was a gift from her father, George VI, for her 21st birthday. Her diamond earrings were a gift from Queen Mary's personal collection.

I wonder what they did with the Persian Turquoise Tiara.
I wish Margaret had worn that more frequently, it's lovely and would have complemented her big hairstyle.

The Persian Turquoise Tiara was part of a parure given to Margaret by the Queen Mother on her 21st birthday. In addition to the tiara, it consisted of a necklace of graduated pendant drops, matching pendant earrings, several hair pieces and a brooch.

The antique parure of unknown provenance was a wedding gift from George V to the Queen Mother when she married the Duke of York in 1923. It was acquired at some point by Queen Mary, who evidently never wore it.

The turquoise parure may have been left to the Queen since it really was part of the royal collection and was probably a bit too much for a future Countess of Snowden or Lady Sarah.

I am interested in Princess Margaret's Turquoise Jewelry and Tiara. How did she come about them; were they gifts or an inheritance? If anyone can, would they please post photos and/or links per the rules. Thanks in advance.

:)

It was a 21st birthday gift from the Queen Mother, who received the pieces as a wedding gift from George V and Queen Mary in 1923 when she married the Duke of York. She never wore them and gave them to Margaret.

Were Princess Margaret's Turquoise Jewelry (Tiara, Earrings, Necklace, etal) inherited by any of her children? Was there anything in writing definitely detaling the inheritance of her jewelry?

Margaret's will was never made public so we don't really know. The publication, Hola, stated the Poltimore tiara was left to Viscount Linley, while the Papyrus Motif Tiara was left to Lady Sarah Chatto, but who knows if this is true or not.

As a general rule, each member of the royal family leaves all of their jewels, whether personal gifts acquired over the years or from the royal collection, to their descendants. Given that neither Lady Sarah nor Lady Serena really has much of a reason to wear huge tiaras, it's possible Margaret left most of her jewels, including the Turquoise parure, to the Queen.

Apparently there is to be an auction of the late princess' jewels in June through Christie's. It was published in an interview in W magazine. I haven't seen this particular periodical, and nothing is showing up so far on the Christie's website, but it certainly makes you wonder what is going to end up going under the gavel!

Looking back at the pictures, it's a shame that the family are reduce to selling off ALL her beautiful jewels to help pay death taxes...if what the IHT report is true.

The jewels are not only beautiful but holds a wealth of history to each of them and something that if kept within the family and passed frm generation to generation would make it all the more meaningful. Now those lovely jewels will be in the hands of the highest bidder...sigh...if the reports are true that the children are having trouble paying the death taxes can't the HM help out - at least for PM memory's sake, so that the jewels can be kept within the family?

here's the link to the IHT article:- www.iht.com/articles/2006/04/09/style/fjewel.php

Here's another article from HELLO! http://www.hellomagazine.com/royalty/2006/04/10/princessmargaret/

It's a shame they're selling her jewels, they are so glamerous and filled with history. But it would be nice to see them on a new young royal, et least this way they will be used instead of sitting around in a vault somewhere.:)

Maybe King Carl of Sweden will want to buy Madeliene a gift for when she gets married. That would be cool.:rolleyes:

Probably the only time they'll really need a tiara is for the next coronation. And, of course, to lend to their daughters when they get married.

I'm with you all: I'm shocked, shocked, shocked that they would decide to auction pieces with so much emotional value! You'd think they're out of cash or sth. Although Hello magazine says it's the "shrewd ways" of Margaret's son, to deal with inheritance tax. But still?! Couldn't he sell, I dunno, some of his homes instead?;)
Anyway, I'm a bit sad about this. I hope that Sarah agrees with this decision though, and that it's not just lord linley's decision to auction that amazing tiara.

From what we saw on the news here in Australia the only "serious" jewels on display were the Poltimore Tiara, a rather impressive diamond necklace, and a five-strand pearl necklace. All the other items appeared to be "minor" pieces; bracelets, brooches, clocks, figurines, that sort of thing.

Any auction must have a major drawcard, and I guess the Poltimore, the big diamonds and the pearls were chosen as the sacrificial items.

Back
Top Bottom