Princess Margaret Jewellery

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It is lovely and is a great "starter tiara". It isn't overwhelming and would look great on the Duchess of Cambridge or Prince Harry's future wife or maybe for one of the York Princesses.

'Starter tiara' is a good expression:flowers: .

By the way: I've been wondering why the Poltimore tiara was acquired for Princess Margaret, does anyone know? I mean, if there old tiaras are stacked up in ' the vaults', why then buy one??

(All right, so the 'Poltimore' was a beautiful piece of head gear, but was that the only reason to buy it?)

viv

Last edited:
Info:
"On the advice of Deputy Master of the Household Patrick Plunkett, this tiara was acquired for Princess Margaret prior to the official announcement of her engagement to Antony Armstrong-Jones. This is how you see it termed, “acquired for Princess Margaret”; some say it was selected by Margaret and purchased by the Queen or the Queen Mother as Margaret’s wedding gift and others say Margaret bought it for herself. The tiara was originally made by Garrard for Florence, Lady Poltimore, wife of the second Baron Poltimore, in the 1870s. It was auctioned by the fourth Baron Poltimore in 1959 and was purchased for £5,500 at the time".
The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Readers' Top 15 Tiaras: #7. The Poltimore Tiara

I think it was a shame that it was sold but since Margaret's family was faced with inheritance taxes after her passing, I guess they did what they thought was right.

Info:
I think it was a shame that it was sold but since Margaret's family was faced with inheritance taxes after her passing, I guess they did what they thought was right.

Thanks Dman! And I agree, while the Poltimore was a beautiful piece it was still a 'foreign body' in the BRF. I suppose that the children didn't have much use for it!
And now we're at it: has it ever occurred to anyone that the proverbial 'vaults' of the BRF might not hold as many 'dormant' tiaras as we would like to think? Having read about their tiaras it struck me, that several tiaras had left the core family, either because they were given away to family members (esp. by Queen Mary) or because they were broken up (The Nizam of Hyderabad) or even sold ( the amethyst tiara of QEQM).

Apart from the acquisition of the Poltimore for Margaret, the Queen bought a tiara for Sarah Ferguson, when she married Andrew, Diana of Wales only had one dated BRF tiara at her disposal and Sophy Rhys-Jones was issued with a wedding tiara made up of bits and pieces of some old Victorian headgear, literally speaking. Also princess Anne had a tiara presented to her in connection with the naming of a ship ( the 'festoon'). The Queen has loads of tiaras, but they seem to be for her use only! So while there probably are a couple of starter tiaras hiding in the vaults, I wonder if there is much else in the tiara department. Had it not been for the inheritance of the Queen Mother, the Duchess of Cornwall could have been left with one of the 'starters' as well.

Thoughts anyone? :)

viv

Well, there are some tiara's and other jewels that's only meant to be used by The Queen or Queen Consort. That stuff will pass on to Camilla & Catherine.

I guess The Queen didn't want the Poltimore Tiara because she could've bought it but unfortunately it was sold and to never be seen again.

I do think the royal vaults have some great pieces in there but just isn't used or have been broken up. Many had thought The Cartier Halo Scroll Tiara was gone because it hadn't seen the light of day since Margaret and Anne used to wear it. Then it was given to Catherine and she used it at her wedding. Now that's in her possession so I do think there are some pieces in there but just isn't used at the moment.

Margaret was really into digging in the vaults and wearing pieces we don't see today. For example: The Turquoise Parures of Queen Mary: Golden Aged: Turquoise Parures of Queen Mary

Queen Mary passed this Parure down to The Duchess of York (Queen Mother) and then it was passed down to Princess Margaret on her 21st birthday. As you can see Margaret wore this tiara and it wasn't sold by her family after her passing. I think it has been given back to The Queen and put back in the royal vaults.

I think Camilla or Catherine could put the tiara to use.

Last edited:
Well people wondered about the Teck Rose & Crescent tiara but we now know that is the possession of the Duchess of Cornwall, so there maybe a few other pieces still laying about. Also Sophie has those 2 aquamarine tiaras that either no one knew about or had long been forgotten.

True, although Camilla don't use the Teck Rose & Crescent tiara. I think it's up to Catherine to pick the ones she want to use.

I like Margaret though. She experimented with the family heirlooms.

There's also the Empress Marie diamond & sapphire bandeau. It was last seen on Princess Margaret in her younger days.

viv

...has it ever occurred to anyone that the proverbial 'vaults' of the BRF might not hold as many 'dormant' tiaras as we would like to think?
It's just as likely there are more. There are sure to be jewels, including tiaras, which have been acquired (inherited/bought/gifted/presented) but have never (publicly) seen the light of day. Since they would on the whole be designated 'personal' rather than 'Crown', HM is under no obligation to disclose her private holdings. Chances are we'll never know the true and full extent of what lies in the fabled vaults. To quote Suzy Menkes in the introduction to "The Royal Jewels" concerning her research: "My efforts...have been actively discouraged, apparently by instructions from Buckingham Palace."

From the same introduction:
"The trickle and stream and torrent and flood of presents that have been given to the Queen during her 30-year reign [now 60 years!] is a subject that is totally taboo...probably only Her Majesty comprehends the vastness of the royal jewel collection and its uncharted shores."

Oh, my, this jewel vault sounds like the treasure trove from the tale "Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves."

It's just as likely there are more. There are sure to be jewels, including tiaras, which have been acquired (inherited/bought/gifted/presented) but have never (publicly) seen the light of day. Since they would on the whole be designated 'personal' rather than 'Crown', HM is under no obligation to disclose her private holdings. Chances are we'll never know the true and full extent of what lies in the fabled vaults. ."

Thanks, Warren! I still don't quite get it though. I mean, I don't doubt that there is some gifted/inherited jewellery in 'hiding' somewhere in the BRF household; what makes me wonder is what you get to see in 'real life'! Suppose there is a lot to choose from, then why the rather pitiable wedding tiara of Countess Sophie?? Why buy a new tiara for a daughter in law (Sarah Ferguson), why buy the Poltimore? Etcetera! I appreciate that royal jewellery sometimes need a resting period, like the ' lovers knot' tiara worn by Diana of Wales. The only person I'd imagine wearing it in the immediate future is probably the Duchess of Cambridge unless you want a riot in the UK!
Apart from such reservations: If there is so much 'idle' jewellery and especially tiaras about, why not use it, one way or the other? Apparently HM has not hesitated in rearranging some of her tiaras; apparently the Nizaam of Hyderabad didn't survive for long before it was broken up and incorporated in another tiara.

viv

Thanks, Warren! I still don't quite get it though. I mean, I don't doubt that there is some gifted/inherited jewellery in 'hiding' somewhere in the BRF household; what makes me wonder is what you get to see in 'real life'! Suppose there is a lot to choose from, then why the rather pitiable wedding tiara of Countess Sophie?? Why buy a new tiara for a daughter in law (Sarah Ferguson), why buy the Poltimore? Etcetera! I appreciate that royal jewellery sometimes need a resting period, like the ' lovers knot' tiara worn by Diana of Wales. The only person I'd imagine wearing it in the immediate future is probably the Duchess of Cambridge unless you want a riot in the UK!
Apart from such reservations: If there is so much 'idle' jewellery and especially tiaras about, why not use it, one way or the other? Apparently HM has not hesitated in rearranging some of her tiaras; apparently the Nizaam of Hyderabad didn't survive for long before it was broken up and incorporated in another tiara.

viv

I think a lot of the "resting" jewelry is stuff that they don't want leaving the royal collection and that's why it's not given as gifts. And Sophie's tiara is not pitiable in historical provenance. I don't like the design, but if the speculation is correct and she's wearing the pieces of Queen Victoria's Regnal circlet, then that's impressive indeed.

I think a lot of the "resting" jewelry is stuff that they don't want leaving the royal collection and that's why it's not given as gifts. And Sophie's tiara is not pitiable in historical provenance. I don't like the design, but if the speculation is correct and she's wearing the pieces of Queen Victoria's Regnal circlet, then that's impressive indeed.

The provenance is interesting enough, but that does not boost the design I'm afraid :). It looks like something coming out of a royal jewellery tool box, which it is in a way! I remember thinking when I first saw it: poor girl! I thought that HMQE could do better than that! I read a description of it somewhere (with photos), and IIRC Warren knows more about the original piece. But that's a different subject in a different thread!

viv

Thanks, Warren! I still don't quite get it though.
Well, that's part of the enduring mystery.
Most of the Queen's jewellery collection is private and it's quite evident that the intention is for it to stay that way.

However, what we can say with confidence is that the expression "If you've got it, flaunt it" does NOT apply. :)

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Tiara Thursday: The Persian Turquoise Tiara

The Persian tiara is one of my favorite turquoise tiaras. The color of the stones are beautiful, it's a great size, and the design is very classic. One of my favorite things about this tiara are the symbolisms. I think the original version was stunning as well. I also love the necklace, brooch, and earrings. This tiara is simply stunning!

Last edited:
The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Tiara Thursday: The Persian Turquoise Tiara

The Persian tiara is one of my favorite turquoise tiaras. The color of the stones are beautiful, it's a great size, and the design is very classic. One of my favorite things about this tiara are the symbolisms. I think the original version was stunning as well. I also love the necklace, brooch, and earrings. This parure is simply stunning!

I had noticed this tiara before but knew nothing of its history and its royal origins with the Queen Mother!

[FONT=&quot]The most remembered and eye-catching piece in Margaret’s jewelry collection[/FONT]

This is one of my favourite pics of Princess Margaret wearing turquoise jewellery.
Pic

That gamine hairstyle suited Margaret so well, and the size and color of those turquoises are amazing.

I did not care for the hairstyle, but the gems- Wow!

It's just as likely there are more. There are sure to be jewels, including tiaras, which have been acquired (inherited/bought/gifted/presented) but have never (publicly) seen the light of day. Since they would on the whole be designated 'personal' rather than 'Crown', HM is under no obligation to disclose her private holdings. Chances are we'll never know the true and full extent of what lies in the fabled vaults. To quote Suzy Menkes in the introduction to "The Royal Jewels" concerning her research: "My efforts...have been actively discouraged, apparently by instructions from Buckingham Palace." From the same introduction: "The trickle and stream and torrent and flood of presents that have been given to the Queen during her 30-year reign [now 60 years!] is a subject that is totally taboo...probably only Her Majesty comprehends the vastness of the royal jewel collection and its uncharted shores."

It's also been widely documented that the last full inventory was done by her majesty queen mary. Many of the boxes are still sealed with the ID cards in her own handwriting . I doubt even HM even knows the full extent IMO

I like the Poltimore. It is grand and beautiful and oh so regal. Margaret looked absolutely exquisite wearing this show stopper. I sure would like to see Catherine in this one.

The Poltimore Tiara was sold at auction by Margaret's kids to pay the death taxes. So it isn't in the BRF possession

Oh no. That is a shame. Wait a minute, what do you mean by a death tax? I dont understand.

Back
Top Bottom