The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-09-2008, 02:45 PM
Nobility

At the time of the auction it was said that a few 'important' pieces were added to draw interest to the auction. Linley and his sister have very little use for tiaras and grand jewels and I assume there was a great deal more that they kept.

Old 01-12-2009, 04:51 PM
Royal Highness

SCANDALOUS, I say, simply SCANDALOUS! I cannot believe the amount of jewelry which was sold. It is incredible! I wonder if there is anything left for the grandchildren, or the future Snowden line. Wait until you see this--it will BOGGLE your mind the amount of pieces sold. I mean, I knew a lot were sold, but this is ridiculous.
A RUBY, CULTURED PEARL AND DIAMOND NECKLACE | Jewelry Auction | Christie's=

after clicking on the link just click on each piece on the right hand side. When you are finished with the first list, click next. This continues for a while. Enjoy the feast, but again, it was truly awful the amount of items that were sold.

Some items sold that positively amaze me that someone would allow them to pass from the family:
An 1893 wedding gift to the future Queen Mary from her father in law, the future King Edward VII. Truly wrong to give this up.
A BELLE EPOQUE DIAMOND AND RUBY RING | Jewelry Auction | Christie's=

Given by the Canadian government to Princess Margaret on one of her visits, I suppose the feelings of the Canadians don't particularly matter:
A PAIR OF CULTURED PEARL AND DIAMOND EARCLIPS, BY BIRKS | Jewelry Auction | Christie's=

A brooch Margaret received for her first important solo engagement! I guess sentimentality is unimportant:
A DIAMOND AND EMERALD HEATHER BROOCH | Jewelry Auction | Christie's=

Gift from Montreal when she visited:
A DIAMOND-SET MAPLE LEAF BROOCH, BY BIRKS | Jewelry Auction | Christie's=

brooch given to the Queen Mother as a child (I cannot imagine selling such a piece of family history!)
AN ANTIQUE DIAMOND AND GEM-SET BEE BROOCH | Jewelry Auction | Christie's=

18th birthday gift from Queen Mary to Princess Margaret--and Margaret wore them often--yet they were sold. I'll bet a granddaugter would have loved them.
AN ART DECO PEARL AND DIAMOND NECKLACE | Jewelry Auction | Christie's=

Confirmation gift from Queen Mary
AN ART DECO SAPPHIRE AND DIAMOND BROOCH | Jewelry Auction | Christie's=

Gift to an 8 year old Margaret from her father:
A DIAMOND AND GEM-SET 'GIANDINETTO' BROOCH, BY CARTIER | Jewelry Auction | Christie's=

Christmas gift to Queen Mary from King George V--the bracelet formerly belonged to the Empress Marie Feodorovna of Russia!
A DIAMOND, PEARL AND GEM-SET BRACELET | Jewelry Auction | Christie's=

Birthday gift to Queen Mary from George V:
AN ANTIQUE DIAMOND PENDANT | Jewelry Auction | Christie's=

Queen Mary's Riviere--one of Margaret's most worn jewels:
QUEEN MARY'S DIAMOND RIVIERE | Jewelry Auction | Christie's=

Some of the items in the collection weren't all that great, but honestly, these pieces had to be sold? I just don't get it.

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 01-12-2009, 05:51 PM
Heir Presumptive

This really makes me a little ill to look at the beautiful pieces GONE GONE GONE! and I don't like to be rude but Lady Sarah could have used some of these pieces to give herself a little makeover IMO!
Old 01-12-2009, 06:10 PM
Royal Highness

So true, so true. What has always annoyed me was that Serena Stanhope, David Linley's wife, is worth a good sized fortune--why sell all of those items? He should have sold enough to pay the death duties and been done with it.

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 01-12-2009, 08:49 PM
Courtier

I still can't believe that they sold HRH Princess Margaret's personal jewelry. I have read numerous times that Linley is money hungry.

Forget the beauty of her jewels; the history alone, I wouldn't had sold it.
Old 01-13-2009, 05:00 AM
Heir Apparent

I have to say that I was not aware of the scale of the sale, and the sheer number of pieces with historic or family significance that were sold by Linley. I do accept that it is wrong for us to expect Linley / Chatto to hold on to the jewels if they have no real use for them, and cold use the cash better. That said, the main thought that comes to my mind is that if Linley / Chatto were not keen to have the jewels and wanted the cash, why HM did not step in and prevent them from going to auction. I know HM has been quoted as suggeting that they already have enough jewellery, but this is about preserving the heritage of the family if not the nation, and I do feel she has a duty to prevent some of the vast collection built up by Queen Mary is not dissipated further.
Old 01-13-2009, 06:21 AM
Heir Presumptive

Why would anyone sell a pair of child´s ivory bangles? Surely they had been worn by either Princess Margaret or an ancestor....shame on them. These would not make them rich for sure.....there are so many things it makes the mind boggle.
Old 01-13-2009, 09:04 PM
Gentry

Anyone have a picture of Princess Margaret's engagement ring?
Old 02-22-2009, 04:14 PM
Heir Apparent

http://s5.tinypic.com/2i21sme.jpg (1998)
http://s5.tinypic.com/2vknko3.jpg
Old 04-03-2009, 07:47 AM

Strathmore Tiara and Teck Tiara

I apologise if my question has been previously answered (only just joined TRF) but does anybody know where the Strathmore Tiara and the Teck Tiara are?

The QM (to my knowledge) hadn't worn the Strathmore Tiara for years?

Or are these questions just part of the larger question....exactly what is in those vaults? After all before the Duchess of Cornwall wore it the Delhi Durbar Tiara hadn't been seen since 1937... so who knows what else is in there?
Old 04-24-2009, 08:08 PM
Heir Presumptive

The Queen inherited all of her mother's personal property, including her jewels. So, presumbly she has the Strathmore Rose Tiara and Crescent & Moon Tiara from The Duchess of Teck.
Old 02-28-2010, 07:05 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by wymanda View Post
Viscountess Linley wore the tiara at her wedding but it has not been seen since. I would assume that on Princess Margaret's death it was returned, along with the other pieces with royal provenance, to the vaults.
This would be really a shame, as it is a quite beautiful, charming tiara - and would fit some of the younger royal ladies. Do you really think that it was returned to the vaults of the Queen? I would assume that it was inherited by Princess Margarete and belongs to the family.
Do we have any information, which of Princess Margaretes jewelry was a loan from the RF and which was her own?
Old 03-04-2010, 09:58 AM
Heir Presumptive

I doubt any of Margaret's jewels were returned to The Queen. Her royal pieces were all personal gifts from her mother or grandmother and none were of particular importance. As is usually the case, these jewels become the personal property of the recipent and they are free to dispose of them as they wish.

The Papyrus Fan Tiara and the Teck circle diamond necklace both were likely retained by Viscount Linley and Lady Sarah.
Old 03-20-2010, 11:02 AM
Nobility

Smile

I need to come back to the lotus flower tiara of the Queen Mum. I still think this is an absolute stunning and beautiful tiara.
I just read a thread about it on the royal jewels of the world message board, and there are a lot of pictures of Princess Margarete with the tiara.

Royal Jewels of the World Message Board: Re: Princess Margaret - Lotus Flower Tiara

So enjoy.
Old 06-01-2010, 02:28 AM
Heir Presumptive

I've been searching these threads and I cant find anything about this brooch. Does anybody know whats happened to it? I don't remember seeing it on the auction catalog. I just love this brooch

Never mind, Im pretty sure that picture came from the auction catalog. I wonder where it is now
Old 06-28-2010, 05:20 AM
Aristocracy

Lady Sarah Chatto

I seem to remember that when Lady Sarah married she wore a tiara that was made from two brooches given to her by Princess Margaret. Does anyone have any photos of this , I remember seeing a not very good photo of Lady Sarah at her wedding in the "Tiaras" exhibition at the Victoria and Albert museum in 2002.
Many thanks
Old 06-28-2010, 11:02 AM
Administrator

Check out the Lady Sarah Wedding thread. There are many pictures.

Quoting from a post in the thread: "Lady Sarah wears the Snowdon Floral Tiara which is a diamond floral tiara that can be broken up and used as brooches. Lord Snowdon gave this tiara to Prinrcess Margaret, Sarah's mother as a wedding gift in 1960."
Old 06-29-2010, 03:13 AM
Aristocracy

Thanks Warren. I knew that the brooches were a gift from Lord Snowden to PM for their wedding, and given Lady Sarah's lifestyle these items would be of more use to her than the Poltimore or lotus flower tiaras would have been.
Old 08-09-2010, 06:44 AM

Are Lady Sarah (or Lord Linley) even owned the "snowdon floral tiara" ?
Thank's in advence
Old 08-16-2010, 03:54 PM
Heir Apparent

The Sale of Princess Margaret's jewelry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menarue View Post
Why would anyone sell a pair of child´s ivory bangles? Surely they had been worn by either Princess Margaret or an ancestor....shame on them. These would not make them rich for sure.....there are so many things it makes the mind boggle.
As discussed back in January 2009.

It is a great shame that these pieces went to the auction block. The Inheritance taxes would have been stiff, but another aspect, and a very expensive one, is what it would cost to insure all this material, which is an ongoing expense year after year after year.

Who knows why it was done. One last comment: Evidentally, these items weren't important to ERII, as she could have, most likely, stopped the sale of items with royal prov. She didn't do that, did she?

Has anyone ever seen a photo of PM's engagement ring? I can't find one.

Tags
jewellery, margaret, princess margaret