The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-28-2006, 10:30 AM
Aristocracy

I always thought her tiara was part of the Snowdon collection.

Old 06-30-2006, 08:09 PM
Commoner

Princess Margaret's tiara/necklace

I have a question. How do you turn a necklace into a tiara? A necklace hangs around the neck and lays against it. While the tiara stands straight up. Can anyone describe it to me?

Old 06-30-2006, 08:20 PM
Aristocracy

I noticed a picture in my most recent Majesty mag where Lady Sarah Chatto is wearing some magnificent emerald earrings that belonged to P. Margaret. There's a famous portrait of P. Margaret wearing them and if I could ever figure out how to post a picture I would do so. They are very large and ornate and Lady Sarah looks great in them.:) I was glad to see that they weren't sold off and also gives me hope that we may see some of the pricesses other peices being worn soon. Wouldn't that be wonderful?
Old 07-06-2006, 10:59 AM
Serene Highness

http://www.itv.com/news/britain_5b8f...349dbf954.html

quotes from article *
Historic Royal Palaces purchased several lots for Kensington Palace in the recent Christie's sale, including a pair of Venetian giltwood, mecca and polychrome-decorated figures for £69,600.
HRP also bought a book written by her chef for £15,600, a manuscript stamped with an "M" and three bottles of 1976 Kensington Palace white wine made from grapes grown in the Princess's private garden, which cost £4,800.
Old 07-06-2006, 12:32 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinjan
I have a question. How do you turn a necklace into a tiara? A necklace hangs around the neck and lays against it. While the tiara stands straight up. Can anyone describe it to me?
The tiara has a wire frame that the necklace attaches to.
Old 07-11-2006, 03:31 PM

Pics from auction

Hi All,

While in London in June, I was lucky enough to be able to go to one of the preview days for the auction @ Christie's.

To say the least, it was amazing. The jewels were incredible and someone had asked to see the tiara so that it was taken out of its special glass case, and I was about 10 inches from it! Those diamond sizes were incredible! She owned loads of diamond jewerly and jewelry in general. It was amazing.

I've attached some photos from the event. They were taken in one of the jewelry rooms. Actually, this was, I think, the prettiest room of all. Actually the pics, as you can see, were huge on the walls. Hope you enjoy and get a feel for the auction.

The young pic (2nd one sort of b/w),was on a door inside the exhibit. Further below it said (which I couldn't get in): Property from The Collection of Her Royal Highess The Princesss Margaret, Countess of Snowden, 13-14 June 2006, London.

PS So sorry about having to crop the pics to get them as attachments. Boy did I have quite a time doing this all!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2.JPG
Views:	143
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	254335   Click image for larger version

Name:	young.JPG
Views:	148
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	254336   Click image for larger version

Name:	flowers.JPG
Views:	143
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	254337   Click image for larger version

Name:	pic.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	254338  

Click image for larger version

Name:	banner.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	254339   Click image for larger version

Name:	2 pics.JPG
Views:	120
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	254340  
Old 07-11-2006, 03:45 PM
Commoner

I was in London in June 2006 and was fortunate enough to tour Kensington Palace Apt 1A, I saw the portrait painted by Pietro Annigoni and it was stunning. The controversy of the auction was alive and well when my husband and I were there and it apt 1A just felt very quiet and tense. We saw other items of the late Princess Margaret. I am glad I saw her apt before the dreded auction which I think could have been avoided by her heir's. This is my opinion only.
Old 07-11-2006, 06:08 PM
Imperial Majesty

Thanks for the photos, dwi. That sounds like quite an experience!
Old 07-12-2006, 09:38 AM

Yes, it was a very cool experience, since I had no idea when I flew from Copenhagen. For the British Airways flight, they gave out free British newspapers so that's how I found out.

I also bought the two catalogs as well. I figured that I might as well go for it!
Old 07-13-2006, 10:48 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy
I always thought her tiara was part of the Snowdon collection.
What Snowdon Collection? Antony Armstrong Jones was a commoner before the Queen made him an earl. ( Even though technically an earl is a commoner too.)
Old 07-14-2006, 10:06 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by qui mal y pense
What Snowdon Collection? Antony Armstrong Jones was a commoner before the Queen made him an earl. ( Even though technically an earl is a commoner too.)
I think perhaps i phrased that wrongly. I am sure i read somewhere that the tiara is called the Snowdon Tiara and that it was given to Princess Margaret by Anthony for their wedding. Which is why Lady Sarah decided to wear it for her wedding. I could be wrong but i am sure that is what i read. Sorry for any confusion.
Old 07-16-2006, 01:07 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

http://www.hola.com/abonados/casasre...as-margarita2/

Viscount Linley and his sister, Lady Sarah Chatto, had decided to auction 192 lots of jewels and 600 pieces of furniture, silver pieces and works of art that once belonged to their mother, late Princess Margaret.

With the income (that anticipated near € 4 500 000) they wished to be able to pay the high taxes over the inherited patrimony of their mother, calculated in something more than € 5 000 000.

But the wish to possess small pieces affected too more people than what Christie’s and the children of Princess Margaret could suppose. At the end of the first day, all the jewels were bought by a price three times higher than the most optimistic forecasts; nothing less than € 14 000 000; i.e. more than the necessary to pay the taxes and, to donate the rest to beneficial welfare institutions.
But the decision of the Princess Margaret’s children to sell the jewels of the Crown was not free of controversy. Apparently, and according to the British press, their father, the photographer Anthony Armstrong-Jones, who married the Princess in 1960, questioned the right of his two children to sell certain pieces.

Before this accusation, the prestigious Christie’s gallery assured that that private subject "was already solved".
Anyway, the historical jewels are today in the hands of men and women who, according to Christie’s, "demonstrate the continuous attractiveness of the Royal Family". Otherwise, this "madness" could be understood, nor the astronomical prices that were offered for some of the pieces that reached sums that were one hundred times higher than its real value.

The auction - described as the greatest of last the twenty years - included the Poltimore tiara, which the Princess wore the day of her wedding to lord Snowdon. Made in 1870, by the prestigious Garrards jewellers for lady Poltimore (the wife of Queen Victoria’s treasurer), this tiara has reached the sum of € 1 350 000. But it was not been the only jewel reaching millionaire numbers. A silver clock, with golden decoration, made by Fabergé reached € 1 800 000. A bracelet, with little leather strap, was originally cost little less than €200, and it ended up being sell by € 14 000.

Thus it was the day: a madness that included everything: a diamond bracelet that Princess Margaret shone in 1965, in a reception with the Beatles; or her first jewel, a discreet necklace of pearls and rubies, valued in little more than € 2 000 euros and whose price reached € 40 000.

The hundreds of thousands of euros made Lord Linley and Sarah Chatto forget the critics. BuckhinghamPalace only emitted a laconic message, through a spokesman. We don’t if the Queen, under anonymity, had bought any piece of her sister…

Photos from Hola (thanks to mtbcm)

The Poltimore tiara:

A diamond necklace, one of the most expensive jewels of this auction:

In this pic taken by Cecil Beaton, the Princess wears a pearl necklace with matching bracelet in art deco style, which were offered by Queen Mary, when the young Princess Margareth celebrated her 18 years old. During the auction, the necklace reached the value of 400 000 €.

This photo was taken at the Queen Mother's 80th birthday. Princess Margaret is waering a perl and diamonds brooch made during the 60s.

This ruby and pearl necklace was evaluated in 2 000 euros and was bought in auction for 40 000!

This rose cut diamond bracelet (in homage to her name, Margaret Rose) was used when The Beatles released their famous "Help":
Old 07-17-2006, 04:24 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by qui mal y pense
In PM's biography which she collaborated on with Christopher Warwick, I believe it says that the tiara was"acquired for princess Margaret"- which doesn't necessarily mean it was bought by her mother- but rather with family monies for the princess. (This was after the death of George VI)
It was a wedding gift from The Queen, but Margaret picked it out herself.
Old 10-16-2006, 03:01 PM
Aristocracy

Princess Margaret's Cartier rose brooch is for sale at Hancock's.
Old 11-14-2006, 11:42 AM
Serene Highness

I don't know if these photos were sent, but it's intersting view on details:
Necklace and bracelet (diamonds + gold)
http://photobank.ru/image/R021-4877.html

Diamond necklace
http://photobank.ru/image/R021-4863.html
http://photobank.ru/image/R021-4873.html

Poltimore tiara
http://photobank.ru/image/R021-4869.html
http://photobank.ru/image/R021-4867.html

Monogram
http://photobank.ru/image/R021-4870.html

Interesting brooch (?)
http://photobank.ru/image/R021-4864.html
Old 11-12-2007, 10:17 AM
Royal Highness

Who would have the Turquoise parue? That wasn't sold, was it? And, how about the Teck circle necklace?

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 11-12-2007, 09:10 PM
Aristocracy

The Poltimore Tiara was/is truly magnificent. I actually also love the one Lord Snowdon gave the princess as a gift on their wedding day---I believe it is now called the Snowdon Floral Leaf Tiara--but I may not be completely correct there. Lady Sarah wore it on her wedding day. I don't believe the Princess was ever photographed wearing it. It was just beautiful and I truly hope it wasn't auctioned off. I do hope Lady Sarah has it in her private collection somewhere.
Old 11-12-2007, 09:19 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy View Post
Here Tiaraprin, the Papyrus Motive Tiara worn by Margaret.
These have to be my favorites.

Philip Elmer-Dewitt, in Time Magazine
Old 11-13-2007, 01:04 AM
Royal Highness

It is a beauty--Munn has a picture in his Bible of Serena Stanhope wearing the Papryus on her wedding day. In it she and Viscount Linley are going down the staircase and they look up and she looks stunning with that tiara. It is truly a beautiful picture and the only one that Lord Snowdon took that day!

Here is one from the wedding:
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...5&d=1130707004

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 03-13-2008, 07:52 AM

I am not certain of this but if my memory serves me correctly this tiara was disliked by Lord Snowden who remodelled it for Pricess Margartet. I think she wore it at a gillies ball at Balmaoral some year ago but fialed to be seen wearing it much after that

Tags
jewellery, margaret, princess margaret