The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-04-2013, 02:55 PM
Heir Apparent

That is the strangest setting/stone I've ever seen and provenance or not, I think I'll pass on placing a bid!

Old 04-04-2013, 11:20 PM
Heir Presumptive

I always loved the jewels she wore the ring is very much not her IMO but the watch I would LOVE to have it ...

Old 04-10-2013, 06:13 PM
Serene Highness

She has worn very beautiful tiaras
Old 04-15-2013, 09:48 PM
Commoner

Name:  image-2945131297.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  29.9 KB

Can someone give me a background on this tiara?
Old 04-15-2013, 09:49 PM
Heir Apparent

It looks almost like Princess Anne's Greek Meander tiara.
Old 04-16-2013, 02:13 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennahPc View Post

Can someone give me a background on this tiara?
It is one of the smaller tiaras which Queen Mary favoured in later life.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:01 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books View Post
It looks almost like Princess Anne's Greek Meander tiara.
It does but I wonder how Margaret got to wear it?
Old 04-16-2013, 12:35 PM
Courtier

According to the Tudorswiki it is Queen Mary's diamond bandeau. It had
"lozenge-shaped motifs and was originally surmounted by 13 large oval oriental pearls set on spikes". They were removed by 1946. However when was this tiara "removed"?? It could be in the vaults or it could have been broken up or even sold!
Margaret borrowed it! A "kindergarten tiara, perhaps"??

viv
Old 04-16-2013, 12:47 PM
Majesty

It was a starter tiara for Princess Margaret:
http://indypendentroyalty.tumblr.com/image/46084061703

It hasn't been seen in decades. It was one of Queen Mary's several bandeaus and I think it's in the vaults. I thought it would be great for The Duchess of Cambridge.
Old 04-16-2013, 12:50 PM
Heir Apparent

I think the Duchess of Cambridge already has her "starter" tiara. Perhaps this is one that might be used for the future wife of Harry.
Old 04-16-2013, 12:50 PM
Commoner

It is lovely and is a great "starter tiara". It isn't overwhelming and would look great on the Duchess of Cambridge or Prince Harry's future wife or maybe for one of the York Princesses.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:22 PM
Courtier

'Starter tiara' is a good expression .

By the way: I've been wondering why the Poltimore tiara was acquired for Princess Margaret, does anyone know? I mean, if there old tiaras are stacked up in ' the vaults', why then buy one??

(All right, so the 'Poltimore' was a beautiful piece of head gear, but was that the only reason to buy it?)

viv
Old 04-16-2013, 01:41 PM
Majesty

Info:
"On the advice of Deputy Master of the Household Patrick Plunkett, this tiara was acquired for Princess Margaret prior to the official announcement of her engagement to Antony Armstrong-Jones. This is how you see it termed, “acquired for Princess Margaret”; some say it was selected by Margaret and purchased by the Queen or the Queen Mother as Margaret’s wedding gift and others say Margaret bought it for herself. The tiara was originally made by Garrard for Florence, Lady Poltimore, wife of the second Baron Poltimore, in the 1870s. It was auctioned by the fourth Baron Poltimore in 1959 and was purchased for £5,500 at the time".
The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Readers' Top 15 Tiaras: #7. The Poltimore Tiara

I think it was a shame that it was sold but since Margaret's family was faced with inheritance taxes after her passing, I guess they did what they thought was right.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:28 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Info:
I think it was a shame that it was sold but since Margaret's family was faced with inheritance taxes after her passing, I guess they did what they thought was right.
Thanks Dman! And I agree, while the Poltimore was a beautiful piece it was still a 'foreign body' in the BRF. I suppose that the children didn't have much use for it!
And now we're at it: has it ever occurred to anyone that the proverbial 'vaults' of the BRF might not hold as many 'dormant' tiaras as we would like to think? Having read about their tiaras it struck me, that several tiaras had left the core family, either because they were given away to family members (esp. by Queen Mary) or because they were broken up (The Nizam of Hyderabad) or even sold ( the amethyst tiara of QEQM).

Apart from the acquisition of the Poltimore for Margaret, the Queen bought a tiara for Sarah Ferguson, when she married Andrew, Diana of Wales only had one dated BRF tiara at her disposal and Sophy Rhys-Jones was issued with a wedding tiara made up of bits and pieces of some old Victorian headgear, literally speaking. Also princess Anne had a tiara presented to her in connection with the naming of a ship ( the 'festoon'). The Queen has loads of tiaras, but they seem to be for her use only! So while there probably are a couple of starter tiaras hiding in the vaults, I wonder if there is much else in the tiara department. Had it not been for the inheritance of the Queen Mother, the Duchess of Cornwall could have been left with one of the 'starters' as well.

Thoughts anyone?

viv
Old 04-16-2013, 07:06 PM
Majesty

Well, there are some tiara's and other jewels that's only meant to be used by The Queen or Queen Consort. That stuff will pass on to Camilla & Catherine.

I guess The Queen didn't want the Poltimore Tiara because she could've bought it but unfortunately it was sold and to never be seen again.

I do think the royal vaults have some great pieces in there but just isn't used or have been broken up. Many had thought The Cartier Halo Scroll Tiara was gone because it hadn't seen the light of day since Margaret and Anne used to wear it. Then it was given to Catherine and she used it at her wedding. Now that's in her possession so I do think there are some pieces in there but just isn't used at the moment.

Margaret was really into digging in the vaults and wearing pieces we don't see today. For example: The Turquoise Parures of Queen Mary: Golden Aged: Turquoise Parures of Queen Mary

Queen Mary passed this Parure down to The Duchess of York (Queen Mother) and then it was passed down to Princess Margaret on her 21st birthday. As you can see Margaret wore this tiara and it wasn't sold by her family after her passing. I think it has been given back to The Queen and put back in the royal vaults.

I think Camilla or Catherine could put the tiara to use.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:45 PM
Heir Apparent

Well people wondered about the Teck Rose & Crescent tiara but we now know that is the possession of the Duchess of Cornwall, so there maybe a few other pieces still laying about. Also Sophie has those 2 aquamarine tiaras that either no one knew about or had long been forgotten.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:29 PM
Majesty

True, although Camilla don't use the Teck Rose & Crescent tiara. I think it's up to Catherine to pick the ones she want to use.

I like Margaret though. She experimented with the family heirlooms.
Old 04-17-2013, 01:43 AM
Courtier

There's also the Empress Marie diamond & sapphire bandeau. It was last seen on Princess Margaret in her younger days.

viv
Old 04-17-2013, 05:40 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viv View Post
...has it ever occurred to anyone that the proverbial 'vaults' of the BRF might not hold as many 'dormant' tiaras as we would like to think?
It's just as likely there are more. There are sure to be jewels, including tiaras, which have been acquired (inherited/bought/gifted/presented) but have never (publicly) seen the light of day. Since they would on the whole be designated 'personal' rather than 'Crown', HM is under no obligation to disclose her private holdings. Chances are we'll never know the true and full extent of what lies in the fabled vaults. To quote Suzy Menkes in the introduction to "The Royal Jewels" concerning her research: "My efforts...have been actively discouraged, apparently by instructions from Buckingham Palace."

From the same introduction:
"The trickle and stream and torrent and flood of presents that have been given to the Queen during her 30-year reign [now 60 years!] is a subject that is totally taboo...probably only Her Majesty comprehends the vastness of the royal jewel collection and its uncharted shores."
Old 04-17-2013, 09:46 PM
Heir Apparent

Oh, my, this jewel vault sounds like the treasure trove from the tale "Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves."

Tags
jewellery, margaret, princess margaret