Princess Madeleine Jewellery 1: Ending 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Modern Fringe tiara that Madeleine often wears is also a private tiara. On the one hand Madeleine has lots to choose from from the royal vault, on the other hand she's been wearing tiaras for over ten years and it is not as if between Silvia, Victoria, Madeleine and the Hagasessorna we have not been exposed to what's in the vault. It is plausible to me that Princess Margaretha sold the Aquamarine Kokoshnik Tiara to her brother, but it is also believable that Princess Margaretha still owns it and Princess Madeleine thought that tiara was the best match for the occasion and her ensemble. Why would Princess Margaretha choose to store the tiara in Sweden if it was not meant to be "borrowed"?

Last edited:
That is one very large impressive ring of Lillian's - nice to see the next generation wearing them

I was never keen on the Aquamarine Kokoshnik tiara but on someone with darker hair (and younger) it is really gorgeous.

At the king's dinner today Madeleine wore her own private fringe tiara and it looks like a pair of pearl earrings and a wide diamond bracelet. I love her 1930's waves in the hair today!

If anyone can post closeups of the earrings and bracelet it would be nice.

okay this tiara was a suprice, a nice suprice
And we see Princess Lilians ring again

tiaras worn by madeleine
* aquamarine tiara first worn 2000
* Modern fringe tiara
* 6 button tiara
* reviere tiara first worn 2009
* 4 button tiara first worn 2009
* Connught tiara first worn 2010
* Queen Josephine's Amethyst Tiara. first worn 2012
* Aquamarine Kokoshnik Tiara first worn 2015

The first time Madeleine wore the fringe tiara was at Haakon's and Mette-Marit's wedding in 2001.

I do find it strange that people choose to call it the "modern" fringe when it in my opinion is a quite typical antique fringe tiara/necklace from around 1900. It would be interesting to read your opinions about it. I know desinformation spread on the internet but Swedish magazines and papers always say that this tiara was Madeleine's 18th birthday present from her parents.

The first time Madeleine wore the fringe tiara was at Haakon's and Mette-Marit's wedding in 2001.

I do find it strange that people choose to call it the "modern" fringe when it in my opinion is a quite typical antique fringe tiara/necklace from around 1900. It would be interesting to read your opinions about it. I know desinformation spread on the internet but Swedish magazines and papers always say that this tiara was Madeleine's 18th birthday present from her parents.

Though fashioned after the style of an antique tiara, the modern fringe is modern (in that it a newer piece for the royals). It was an anniversary gift in the late 1980's, and seems to have been a modern purchase.

I would think since the Baden is often referred to simply as the 'fringe tiara', modern is response. The old fringe and the modern fringe.

Madeleine's bracelet on Friday
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image

About Madeleine having princess Margaretha's tiara: Madeleine lives in London now. Perhaps she visits princess Margaretha sometimes (at least I hope so) and princess Margaretha has wanted that Madeleine wears her tiara.

Last edited:
I think the bulk of the royal jewels, including Princess Margaretha's kokoshnik diadem, are safely stored in Sweden. The Princess has a pied-à-terre in Sweden, the only country she has any need for such a diadem.

Tiarapedia has a different version of the story and says the Modern Fringe is actually owned by Queen Silvia. Which version is correct ?

The Modern Fringe Tiara | The TiaraPedia

Tiarapedia has a different version of the story and says the Modern Fringe is actually owned by Queen Silvia. Which version is correct ?

Yes, there seems to be different stories about who the current owner is and the palace only refer to it as "a private" diadem. When it comes to other private diadems in the family we often know who the owner is. The ruby tiara that was bought by the king from Sigvard's son, that Lilian's laurel wreath was inherited by Victoria etc. This is why I find it interesting to discuss and I hope someone of you all can provide more information.

That is not really known. They are not very public about ownership questions. I think that once or twice the royal website had said the Princess Madeleine wears 'her own tiara', but usually they say 'a private tiara'. Btw, they at first wrote 'her own tiara' at Victoria's wedding when Madeleine wore the Connaught which undoubtedly is not hers. So even their information should be taken with the usual pinch of salt.

Personally I lean to believing that it has now been given to Madeleine and is hers. It makes sense that both Madeleine and Sofia are on the same footing and have one tiara themeselves. And Madeleine has been the sole wearer of this tiara for several years now, she even wore it at ther wedding. Let me stress that this is my assumption, there is no hard source from the court.

Btw, I don't like the term 'fringe' for this tiara. It is so different from classic fringe tiaras with their straight spikes imitating sunrays. This tiara has fairly ornamental spikes which don't remind me of sunrays at all, and I think it is only very vaguely inspired by a classic fringe. That said, I don't really know what better name could be used and wonder what the SWR calls it.

That is not really known. They are not very public about ownership questions. I think that once or twice the royal website had said the Princess Madeleine wears 'her own tiara', but usually they say 'a private tiara'. Btw, they at first wrote 'her own tiara' at Victoria's wedding when Madeleine wore the Connaught which undoubtedly is not hers. So even their information should be taken with the usual pinch of salt.

Personally I lean to believing that it has now been given to Madeleine and is hers. It makes sense that both Madeleine and Sofia are on the same footing and have one tiara themeselves. And Madeleine has been the sole wearer of this tiara for several years now, she even wore it at ther wedding. Let me stress that this is my assumption, there is no hard source from the court.

Btw, I don't like the term 'fringe' for this tiara. It is so different from classic fringe tiaras with their straight spikes imitating sunrays. This tiara has fairly ornamental spikes which don't remind me of sunrays at all, and I think it is only very vaguely inspired by a classic fringe. That said, I don't really know what better name could be used and wonder what the SWR calls it.

IIRC the Court later changed what they said about the tiara Madeleine wore to the wedding - she for some reason changed to the Connaught last minute which is evident by the fact that the velvet around the base matched her mothers hair and not hers.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Though fashioned after the style of an antique tiara, the modern fringe is modern (in that it a newer piece for the royals). It was an anniversary gift in the late 1980's, and seems to have been a modern purchase.

I would think since the Baden is often referred to simply as the 'fringe tiara', modern is response. The old fringe and the modern fringe.

Thank you for responding! I agree with you that it most likely was bought in the eighties, but it could still have been an antique piece bought trough an antique dealer. To me that seems more likely. It is also cheaper to buy an antique tiara than to have a jeweller making a new one in the old style. I also find it interesting that all of the queen's other new jewellery(as in not inherited but gifted or bought) seems modern in style and in the setting of the stones. Well some of it is really in a quite bold 1980's style.

Even in other royal families they have chosen to buy antique tiaras when a new one was needed. Mette-Marits bandeau is from about 1910 and Mary's diadem/necklace is from about 1900.

About Madeleine having princess Margaretha's tiara: Madeleine lives in London now. Perhaps she visits princess Margaretha sometimes (at least I hope so) and princess Margaretha has wanted that Madeleine wears her tiara.

I thought about this as well. I wouldn't be surprised if Madeleine has visited her aunt, since they now both live in/close to London, and that she asked Margaretha if she could borrow the tiara on this occasion.

Thank you for your interesting reply! I also think it is owned by Madeleine and it would make sense if it was an 18th birthday present like Swedish magazines have stated (even if they are very often wrong).

It wouldn't surprise me if the royal family just calls it Madeleine's diadem just like the Connaught forget me not tiara is called princess Sibylla's diadem since it was her favourite diadem.

I think we who are interested in royal jewels must try to find a better name for it!(I personally always object to the term modern) Do you Tilia C have a suggestion for it?

Madeleine's bracelet on Friday

Which bracelet is this? What is its history?

Does anyone know which earrings Madeleine wore on friday?

Thank you for your interesting reply! I also think it is owned by Madeleine and it would make sense if it was an 18th birthday present like Swedish magazines have stated (even if they are very often wrong).

It wouldn't surprise me if the royal family just calls it Madeleine's diadem just like the Connaught forget me not tiara is called princess Sibylla's diadem since it was her favourite diadem.

I think we who are interested in royal jewels must try to find a better name for it!(I personally always object to the term modern) Do you Tilia C have a suggestion for it?
It also is often repeated that the aquamarine bandeau was the 18th birthday gift to Madeleine. But imo it makes more sense to give her a permanent tiara which can be worn throughout the Princesse's life. The bandeau really is more like a starter for a young girl.

She has worn the diamond tiara for the first time at the wedding of Haakon & Mette-Marit in 2001 when she was aged 19. But Queen Silvia kept wearing it from time to time till 2010 if my record is straight.

For a long time the tiara has been labelled 'King Carl XIV Gustaf tiara' and there were rumours that it was an anniversary gift. But again, there is no hard source for this, it could be true or not. Some knowledgable royal jewels watchers have stated that it looks very much like a Harry Winston design which was favoured by Near Eastern rulers in the 1980s. So it could be a gift from a visit. Or not.

I kept calling it modern fringe because that has become a well known term. Personally I object more to the fringe part than to the modern. But I don't really have a better suggestion. Once it was refered to as a fleur-de-lys tiara, but is that really a fleur-de-lys design? It is so stylized that it would not the best name, imo. So no, I don't have a better name for it. :flowers:

Last edited:
CP Victoria has worn the tiara as a necklace at a gala in france

This is not the same ring! The ring that Princess Lilian is wearing is of a deeper colour and has baguette diamonds either side. Princess Madeleine's ring is different

Here is a bigger photo of Lilian's ring.

Princess Lilian left an aquamarine ring in her will to Madeleine. But it is true, the ring looks different. Maybe Madeleine got it renewed?

Last edited:
I think that is the same ring just as said Sarahbellar the Madeleine changed it just rotated. Is very beautiful ring.

I think that is the same ring just as said Sarahbellar the Madeleine changed it just rotated. Is very beautiful ring.

People have different tastes. I think that the ring is very ugly, maybe because it is so huge. A woman's hand never looks beautiful with such a big ring.

People have different tastes. I think that the ring is very ugly, maybe because it is so huge. A woman's hand never looks beautiful with such a big ring.

Of course not all have the same preferences. This ring is large enough. For daily use is not required but events such as the Nobel Prize is impressive.

It's amazing how well it suits her, but her hair is really done up to complement the tiara. Of course the aquamarines go well with the colour of her eyes. I always like this tiara, but this was probably the best appearance I have ever seen of it.

Can anybody give information on the earring? Aren't they from the Bernadotte vaults as well?

I absolutely love Pr Madeleines look. The Aquamarine Kokoshnik tiara looks georgious on her. I really do hope that the tiara ends up in the main royal family - as this is piece is so great to wear. And Madeleine is the right person to wear aquas....

The two stones are different colours! For me two different rings !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom