Princess Madeleine Jewellery 1: Ending 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
11-03-2008 Gala Princess Madeleine poses for photographers before a dinner at the Royal Palace in Stockholm

Tiara

at the nobel 2008 princess Madeleine wore necklace tiara that belongs to her mother.

It's the historic Bernadotte rose brooch in diamonds, originally a corsage brooch.
Queen Silvia hasn't worn it often, but it did appear a number of times over the years - always as a hair ornament as well.
This is the first time Princess Madeleine wears it, and I'd say it looks perfectly lovely in her open hair. The brooch probably has more diamonds in it than some tiaras do, and it's a very nice alternative...
For the second gala, Princess Madeleine also wore the diamond drops from the Connaught tiara her mother wore the night before as earrings. The drops are detachable and Madeleine has worn all five of them as necklace pendants, but this is the first time they are seen in an earring setting.

The brooch is a nice detail. Her hair looks very beatiful.

I love the brooch, and I think that it looks fabulous in her hair. It must be nice to have such lovely things to choose from.

Beautiful brooch, she looks so classically beautiful here.

This is why I am so fond of brooches. You can do many wonderful things with them. Madeline is so pretty, but the way she did her hair with the brooch. Gorgeous!!!

The brooch looks stunning in Madeleine's hair.

Everytime I see the picture I am still blown away by how amazing that looks. I wonder how heavy it was as the evening wore on?
THis was easily one of her best looks--she's so beatiful anyway, but that dress, this brooch, she was perfect.

I agree, the look was wonderful.
The Bernadotte diamond rose is a great piece, a very naturalistic and at the same elegant design of a life-size wild rose. Here's a link to a post from Tamara on the RJWMB - scroll down, it also shows the pic of the brooch Josefine was thinking of:
http://members2.boardhost.com/royal-jewels/msg/1229106312.html

It’s certainly heavy, and you can see that Princess Madeleine is wearing the same dark ‘base’ for the brooch that Queen Silvia uses when she wears the brooch in her hair - which of course is hidden better in Silvia’s matching dark hair.

Last edited:
I noticed that too. It must be somewhat heavy to wear on the side of the head like that. But it is a stunning piece!

She truly looked stunning with the rose brooch in her hair, and the green dress was a perfect match. Crown Princess Victoria looked fabolous, too.
And what surprise they made for us, who wondered if we would see one or two of the button tiaras, or one fringe and one aquamarine...

Btw, I like Princess Madeleine's private fringe tiara, it´s very elegant and suits her perfectly. The aquamarine tiara is beautiful too. A question: Was this tiara bought for Princess Madeleine's 18th birthday, or did it belong to the family before?

The six button tiara is a big thing to wear, and it seems to be difficult to find the right hairdoo, or angle or height to make it justice... Princess Birgitta wore it on the King's 60th birthday and IMO it wasn't a hit. There is one of the Swedish Royal ladies who always manages to get it perfectly right: Princess Lilian, of course. Has Princess Christina used the 6-buttons, or only the 4-buttons tiara?

About the ruby tiara: It´s very 1905, when it was bought. The height, the bold lines. It can't be easy to find the right dress to match it. Is there a picture somewhere of Crown Princess Margareta wearing it?

aquamarine tiara has been worn by the kings sisters before and the fringe tiara is a 10th wedding anniversary gift from the king to silvia

Yes, Princess Madeleine's small aquamarine bandeau tiara belonged to Queen Louise first and was then worn by the King's sisters.
As for Queen Silvia's modern fringe tiara/necklace (Silvia owns it privately) which Madleine wears, I never believed that it was a 10th wedding anniversary gift from the King.
The most reliable source for this was the mag 'Svensk Dam Tidning', which is no reliable source.
It looks very much like a piece made by Harry Winston, and my belief is that it could rather have been a gift to the Queen during the 1981 state visit to Saudi Arabia. There's no way Queen Silvia wouldn't have received major jewelry on that occasion, though none was ever identified, and this looks a lot like the Harry Winston necklaces given by the Saudis to Queen Elizabeth II around the same time.

what does that (Queen Elizabeth II) necklace look like
i have always thought it as a wedding gift
maybe a new name is needed.

The King Khalid of Saudi Arabia necklace, made by Harry Winston and given to Queen Elizabeth in 1979, is quite similar. There are pics of it under the QEII necklaces topic.
Of course this is speculation on my part, but none of Queen Silvia’s jewelry has been attributed to the 1981 state visit to Saudi Arabia, and her fringe tiara, shared with Princess Madeleine, was not made part of the Bernadotte Foundation.

Thanks to both Josefine and Boris for interesting facts and thoughts about the two "Madeleine-tiaras". I'm happy that there are two tiaras, once owned by Queen Louise, that is worn today by the Swedish royal ladies (the aquamarine bandeau and Princess Desiree's tiara). There are all the Queen Josephine's tiaras, the Queen Sophia tiara, the Vicoria of Baden Fringe, all the tiara's that belonged to Crown Princess Margareta - I like to see Queen Louise's name in that line. :flowers:

I always thought that Princess Madeleine's fringe tiara was a 10 years-gift from the king to the queen, but my source has been, as Boris says, only "Svensk Damtidning". At what event did Queen Silvia wore it first - are there pictures?

Queen Silvia wore her modern tiara / necklace (shared with Princess Madeleine today) for the first time in late 1986, so it’s perfectly understandable why a magazine would come up with the nice story about this being a 10th wedding anniversary gift.
She wore it in the tiara version then, along with her modern emerald and diamond set # 1 (out of four) which was first seen at the King’s 40th birthday gala dinner in the same year.
Way back then ‘Svensk Dam Tidning’ actually claimed that BOTH this set and the tiara would be an anniversary gift from the King, which makes it even more unlikely I think.

She always looks stunning and this is just another on of those evenings. I also think the brooch in hair is adorable and Victoria too looked just beautiful. Thanks to those of you for posting.

do you think we will see madeleine at the state visit from Finland?
My bet if she is there she will use the fringe tiara Harry Winston style.

According to the Royal website (which is never reliable though), "only" the King, Queen, and Crown Princess will attend the gala dinner on January 15th.
The occasion is not a state visit, but the celebration of the seperation of Finland from Sweden exactly 200 years ago.

The Royal Family gave state banquets at 'official visits' before - for example for the Norwegian Royals in 2005.
The Royal website calls it ‘banquet at Stockholm Palace’, and I believe it’s most likely that it will be full gala, with tiaras being worn.

Last edited by a moderator:
Madeleine wore the fringe tiara Harry Winston style.
we need a name for this tiara
how about the fringe tiara formally know as the 10th wedding anniversary gift tiara ;-)

http://www.iblbildarkiv.net/FotoWeb...20F49939373E3B8C5E70E53170B3B2D9E3439FBBF4699

http://www.iblbildarkiv.net/FotoWeb...20F49939373E3B8C5E70E53170B3B2D9E3439FBBF4699
. . . . .
at the dinner last night Madeleine wore the fringe tiara Harry Winston style. again.....
cant she try the amalyst tiara just once,,,

the dog collier necklace, there is one that are very a like in denmark i think its worn by Benedikte
are there other such necklaces in the royal houses?
and here is a photo from the ibl site
http://www.iblbildarkiv.net/FotoWeb...E48CA301E41348A733CB14D7C55A7F85F095038EE545C

The multi-strand dog collar pearl necklace was very popular in the end of the 19th century. Almost all Royal House's jewelry collections include variations of it - you are certainly aware of this.
The one worn by Princess Madeleine dates back to Queen Viktoria of Sweden, born Princess of Baden.
As for a name for the 'Harry Winston style' tiara, I would simply call it 'Queen Silvia tiara'. We don't have proof of its exact provenance, so I'd say it should be named for the first owner and wearer of the piece, who of course was - and is - Queen Silvia.

I can see the sister resemblance between Victoria and Madeleine in that first pic.
Gorgeous brooch, I'm in awe. I wonder how it's secured in her hair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom