The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #641  
Old 12-11-2015, 06:41 PM
Countessmeout's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: alberta, Canada
Posts: 3,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingrid Cecilia View Post
The first time Madeleine wore the fringe tiara was at Haakon's and Mette-Marit's wedding in 2001.

I do find it strange that people choose to call it the "modern" fringe when it in my opinion is a quite typical antique fringe tiara/necklace from around 1900. It would be interesting to read your opinions about it. I know desinformation spread on the internet but Swedish magazines and papers always say that this tiara was Madeleine's 18th birthday present from her parents.
Though fashioned after the style of an antique tiara, the modern fringe is modern (in that it a newer piece for the royals). It was an anniversary gift in the late 1980's, and seems to have been a modern purchase.

I would think since the Baden is often referred to simply as the 'fringe tiara', modern is response. The old fringe and the modern fringe.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #642  
Old 12-12-2015, 05:39 AM
LadyFinn's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Southwest, Finland
Posts: 22,511
Madeleine's bracelet on Friday
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image

About Madeleine having princess Margaretha's tiara: Madeleine lives in London now. Perhaps she visits princess Margaretha sometimes (at least I hope so) and princess Margaretha has wanted that Madeleine wears her tiara.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #643  
Old 12-12-2015, 05:50 AM
Duc_et_Pair's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: City, Christmas Island
Posts: 5,925
I think the bulk of the royal jewels, including Princess Margaretha's kokoshnik diadem, are safely stored in Sweden. The Princess has a pied-ā-terre in Sweden, the only country she has any need for such a diadem.
Reply With Quote
  #644  
Old 12-12-2015, 06:07 AM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, United States
Posts: 1,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingrid Cecilia View Post
The first time Madeleine wore the fringe tiara was at Haakon's and Mette-Marit's wedding in 2001.

I do find it strange that people choose to call it the "modern" fringe when it in my opinion is a quite typical antique fringe tiara/necklace from around 1900. It would be interesting to read your opinions about it. I know desinformation spread on the internet but Swedish magazines and papers always say that this tiara was Madeleine's 18th birthday present from her parents.
Tiarapedia has a different version of the story and says the Modern Fringe is actually owned by Queen Silvia. Which version is correct ?

The Modern Fringe Tiara | The TiaraPedia
Reply With Quote
  #645  
Old 12-12-2015, 06:58 AM
Gentry
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: different, Sweden
Posts: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Tiarapedia has a different version of the story and says the Modern Fringe is actually owned by Queen Silvia. Which version is correct ?

The Modern Fringe Tiara | The TiaraPedia
Yes, there seems to be different stories about who the current owner is and the palace only refer to it as "a private" diadem. When it comes to other private diadems in the family we often know who the owner is. The ruby tiara that was bought by the king from Sigvard's son, that Lilian's laurel wreath was inherited by Victoria etc. This is why I find it interesting to discuss and I hope someone of you all can provide more information.
Reply With Quote
  #646  
Old 12-12-2015, 06:58 AM
Tilia C.'s Avatar
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: O, Germany
Posts: 4,420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Tiarapedia has a different version of the story and says the Modern Fringe is actually owned by Queen Silvia. Which version is correct ?

The Modern Fringe Tiara | The TiaraPedia
That is not really known. They are not very public about ownership questions. I think that once or twice the royal website had said the Princess Madeleine wears 'her own tiara', but usually they say 'a private tiara'. Btw, they at first wrote 'her own tiara' at Victoria's wedding when Madeleine wore the Connaught which undoubtedly is not hers. So even their information should be taken with the usual pinch of salt.

Personally I lean to believing that it has now been given to Madeleine and is hers. It makes sense that both Madeleine and Sofia are on the same footing and have one tiara themeselves. And Madeleine has been the sole wearer of this tiara for several years now, she even wore it at ther wedding. Let me stress that this is my assumption, there is no hard source from the court.

Btw, I don't like the term 'fringe' for this tiara. It is so different from classic fringe tiaras with their straight spikes imitating sunrays. This tiara has fairly ornamental spikes which don't remind me of sunrays at all, and I think it is only very vaguely inspired by a classic fringe. That said, I don't really know what better name could be used and wonder what the SWR calls it.
__________________
Please vote in our TRF Fashion Polls


Reply With Quote
  #647  
Old 12-12-2015, 07:03 AM
JR76's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Malmö, Sweden
Posts: 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilia C. View Post
That is not really known. They are not very public about ownership questions. I think that once or twice the royal website had said the Princess Madeleine wears 'her own tiara', but usually they say 'a private tiara'. Btw, they at first wrote 'her own tiara' at Victoria's wedding when Madeleine wore the Connaught which undoubtedly is not hers. So even their information should be taken with the usual pinch of salt.

Personally I lean to believing that it has now been given to Madeleine and is hers. It makes sense that both Madeleine and Sofia are on the same footing and have one tiara themeselves. And Madeleine has been the sole wearer of this tiara for several years now, she even wore it at ther wedding. Let me stress that this is my assumption, there is no hard source from the court.

Btw, I don't like the term 'fringe' for this tiara. It is so different from classic fringe tiaras with their straight spikes imitating sunrays. This tiara has fairly ornamental spikes which don't remind me of sunrays at all, and I think it is only very vaguely inspired by a classic fringe. That said, I don't really know what better name could be used and wonder what the SWR calls it.

IIRC the Court later changed what they said about the tiara Madeleine wore to the wedding - she for some reason changed to the Connaught last minute which is evident by the fact that the velvet around the base matched her mothers hair and not hers.


Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Reply With Quote
  #648  
Old 12-12-2015, 07:09 AM
Gentry
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: different, Sweden
Posts: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Though fashioned after the style of an antique tiara, the modern fringe is modern (in that it a newer piece for the royals). It was an anniversary gift in the late 1980's, and seems to have been a modern purchase.

I would think since the Baden is often referred to simply as the 'fringe tiara', modern is response. The old fringe and the modern fringe.
Thank you for responding! I agree with you that it most likely was bought in the eighties, but it could still have been an antique piece bought trough an antique dealer. To me that seems more likely. It is also cheaper to buy an antique tiara than to have a jeweller making a new one in the old style. I also find it interesting that all of the queen's other new jewellery(as in not inherited but gifted or bought) seems modern in style and in the setting of the stones. Well some of it is really in a quite bold 1980's style.

Even in other royal families they have chosen to buy antique tiaras when a new one was needed. Mette-Marits bandeau is from about 1910 and Mary's diadem/necklace is from about 1900.
Reply With Quote
  #649  
Old 12-12-2015, 07:19 AM
xenobia's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Near the artic circle, Sweden
Posts: 572
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
About Madeleine having princess Margaretha's tiara: Madeleine lives in London now. Perhaps she visits princess Margaretha sometimes (at least I hope so) and princess Margaretha has wanted that Madeleine wears her tiara.
I thought about this as well. I wouldn't be surprised if Madeleine has visited her aunt, since they now both live in/close to London, and that she asked Margaretha if she could borrow the tiara on this occasion.
Reply With Quote
  #650  
Old 12-12-2015, 07:22 AM
Gentry
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: different, Sweden
Posts: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilia C. View Post
That is not really known. They are not very public about ownership questions. I think that once or twice the royal website had said the Princess Madeleine wears 'her own tiara', but usually they say 'a private tiara'. Btw, they at first wrote 'her own tiara' at Victoria's wedding when Madeleine wore the Connaught which undoubtedly is not hers. So even their information should be taken with the usual pinch of salt.

Personally I lean to believing that it has now been given to Madeleine and is hers. It makes sense that both Madeleine and Sofia are on the same footing and have one tiara themeselves. And Madeleine has been the sole wearer of this tiara for several years now, she even wore it at ther wedding. Let me stress that this is my assumption, there is no hard source from the court.

Btw, I don't like the term 'fringe' for this tiara. It is so different from classic fringe tiaras with their straight spikes imitating sunrays. This tiara has fairly ornamental spikes which don't remind me of sunrays at all, and I think it is only very vaguely inspired by a classic fringe. That said, I don't really know what better name could be used and wonder what the SWR calls it.
Thank you for your interesting reply! I also think it is owned by Madeleine and it would make sense if it was an 18th birthday present like Swedish magazines have stated (even if they are very often wrong).

It wouldn't surprise me if the royal family just calls it Madeleine's diadem just like the Connaught forget me not tiara is called princess Sibylla's diadem since it was her favourite diadem.

I think we who are interested in royal jewels must try to find a better name for it!(I personally always object to the term modern) Do you Tilia C have a suggestion for it?
Reply With Quote
  #651  
Old 12-12-2015, 07:27 AM
Gentry
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: different, Sweden
Posts: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
Madeleine's bracelet on Friday
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image

About Madeleine having princess Margaretha's tiara: Madeleine lives in London now. Perhaps she visits princess Margaretha sometimes (at least I hope so) and princess Margaretha has wanted that Madeleine wears her tiara.
Which bracelet is this? What is its history?

Does anyone know which earrings Madeleine wore on friday?
Reply With Quote
  #652  
Old 12-12-2015, 07:59 AM
Tilia C.'s Avatar
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: O, Germany
Posts: 4,420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingrid Cecilia View Post
Thank you for your interesting reply! I also think it is owned by Madeleine and it would make sense if it was an 18th birthday present like Swedish magazines have stated (even if they are very often wrong).

It wouldn't surprise me if the royal family just calls it Madeleine's diadem just like the Connaught forget me not tiara is called princess Sibylla's diadem since it was her favourite diadem.

I think we who are interested in royal jewels must try to find a better name for it!(I personally always object to the term modern) Do you Tilia C have a suggestion for it?
It also is often repeated that the aquamarine bandeau was the 18th birthday gift to Madeleine. But imo it makes more sense to give her a permanent tiara which can be worn throughout the Princesse's life. The bandeau really is more like a starter for a young girl.

She has worn the diamond tiara for the first time at the wedding of Haakon & Mette-Marit in 2001 when she was aged 19. But Queen Silvia kept wearing it from time to time till 2010 if my record is straight.

For a long time the tiara has been labelled 'King Carl XIV Gustaf tiara' and there were rumours that it was an anniversary gift. But again, there is no hard source for this, it could be true or not. Some knowledgable royal jewels watchers have stated that it looks very much like a Harry Winston design which was favoured by Near Eastern rulers in the 1980s. So it could be a gift from a visit. Or not.

I kept calling it modern fringe because that has become a well known term. Personally I object more to the fringe part than to the modern. But I don't really have a better suggestion. Once it was refered to as a fleur-de-lys tiara, but is that really a fleur-de-lys design? It is so stylized that it would not the best name, imo. So no, I don't have a better name for it.
__________________
Please vote in our TRF Fashion Polls


Reply With Quote
  #653  
Old 12-12-2015, 08:04 AM
ldmemail's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bath, United Kingdom
Posts: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarn67 View Post
Someone on Tumblr had a closeup of the large aquamarine ring left to her by Princess Lilian


http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/...agxo1_1280.png


http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/...sagxo3_500.png

This is not the same ring! The ring that Princess Lilian is wearing is of a deeper colour and has baguette diamonds either side. Princess Madeleine's ring is different
Reply With Quote
  #654  
Old 12-12-2015, 08:54 AM
Josefine's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: , Sweden
Posts: 9,489
CP Victoria has worn the tiara as a necklace at a gala in france
Reply With Quote
  #655  
Old 12-12-2015, 05:00 PM
LadyFinn's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Southwest, Finland
Posts: 22,511
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldmemail View Post
This is not the same ring! The ring that Princess Lilian is wearing is of a deeper colour and has baguette diamonds either side. Princess Madeleine's ring is different
Here is a bigger photo of Lilian's ring.
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image

Princess Lilian left an aquamarine ring in her will to Madeleine. But it is true, the ring looks different. Maybe Madeleine got it renewed?
Reply With Quote
  #656  
Old 12-12-2015, 05:28 PM
Sarahbellar's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Boston, United States
Posts: 947
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
Here is a bigger photo of Lilian's ring.
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image

Princess Lilian left an aquamarine ring in her will to Madeleine. But it is true, the ring looks different. Maybe Madeleine got it renewed?
I wondered if Madeleine had it rotated.
Reply With Quote
  #657  
Old 12-12-2015, 05:38 PM
eya eya is online now
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: -, Greece
Posts: 5,457
I think that is the same ring just as said Sarahbellar the Madeleine changed it just rotated. Is very beautiful ring.
Reply With Quote
  #658  
Old 12-13-2015, 04:48 AM
LadyFinn's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Southwest, Finland
Posts: 22,511
Quote:
Originally Posted by eya View Post
I think that is the same ring just as said Sarahbellar the Madeleine changed it just rotated. Is very beautiful ring.
People have different tastes. I think that the ring is very ugly, maybe because it is so huge. A woman's hand never looks beautiful with such a big ring.
Reply With Quote
  #659  
Old 12-13-2015, 04:54 AM
eya eya is online now
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: -, Greece
Posts: 5,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
People have different tastes. I think that the ring is very ugly, maybe because it is so huge. A woman's hand never looks beautiful with such a big ring.
Of course not all have the same preferences. This ring is large enough. For daily use is not required but events such as the Nobel Prize is impressive.
Reply With Quote
  #660  
Old 12-13-2015, 06:29 AM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: salzburg, Austria
Posts: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilia C. View Post
It's amazing how well it suits her, but her hair is really done up to complement the tiara. Of course the aquamarines go well with the colour of her eyes. I always like this tiara, but this was probably the best appearance I have ever seen of it.

Can anybody give information on the earring? Aren't they from the Bernadotte vaults as well?
I absolutely love Pr Madeleines look. The Aquamarine Kokoshnik tiara looks georgious on her. I really do hope that the tiara ends up in the main royal family - as this is piece is so great to wear. And Madeleine is the right person to wear aquas....
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
jewellery, princess madeleine


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Princess Ragnhild and Princess Astrid of Norway Jewellery Lonemor Royal Jewels 148 11-04-2016 07:53 PM
Princess Grace Jewellery Julia Royal Jewels 226 11-01-2016 02:17 AM
Princess Marie of Denmark Jewellery PrincessofEurope Royal Jewels 532 10-19-2016 02:19 PM
Princess Margaret Jewellery Josefine Royal Jewels 281 10-10-2016 04:34 AM
Princess Madeleine, Picture Thread Part 2: October 2004 - September 2006 Josefine Current Events Archive 164 09-28-2006 12:32 PM




Popular Tags
#jewels ascot 2016 autographed signed best gown best gown september 2016 best hat best outfit catherine middleton style coup d'etat crown prince haakon crown princess mary crown princess mary fashion crown princess mette-marit current events duchess of cambridge e-mail fashion poll grand duke jean greece history kate middleton king abdullah ii king felipe king felipe vi king willem-alexander member introduction mette-marit monarchy nepal new zealand nobel gala norway november 2016 october 2016 opening of parliament picture of the week prince bernhard prince charles princess marie princess mary princess mary daytime fashion princess mary fashion princess mary hats princess mette-marit and women deliver conference queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia fashion queen letizia style queen mathilde queen mathildes outfits queen maxima queen maxima casual wear queen maxima daytime fashion queen maxima fashion queen maxima hats queen maxima style queen rania religion royal fashion september 2016 state visit state visit to denmark succession sweden the duchess of cambridge the duchess of cambridge casual wear the duchess of cambridge daytime fashion the duchess of cambridge fashion the duchess of cambridge hats


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:46 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2016
Jelsoft Enterprises