Princess Mabel of Oranje-Nassau Jewellery

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you read the official decree a few weeks ago, you will have learned that Mabel will be styled as HRH Princess Mabel of Oranje-Nassau. SHe does not become a princess in her own right (neither is Pss Laurentien), but is styled as such by tradition. Their children will be Counts and COuntesses of Oranje Nassau. Johan Friso is also now a Count of O-N, but he primary title is Prince of O=N, so his wife is Princess of O=N.

thank you for the clarification, but i honestly have to admit that they lost me. what is the difference now to constantine and laurentien?? i dont understand. thats not an issue to be discussed here, well, it wont hurt if we will be discussion the jewels of 'countess of oranje-nassau'... sorry to all who get offended by this.

Constantijn has dynastic rights. His brother does not. There is a difference.

thank you for the clarification, but i honestly have to admit that they lost me. what is the difference now to constantine and laurentien??

The fact that both Constantijn's and Friso's children will have the exact same titles makes no sense either....

Originally posted by Alisa@Apr 25th, 2004 - 12:35 pm
The fact that both Constantijn's and Friso's children will have the exact same titles makes no sense either....
They will have the same titles (Counts and Countesses), but their rights are not the same. Eloise and Casimir are in line to the throne following Willem and Catharina and their father. But Johan and Mabel's children will not be in such a position. That is the difference.

Ok, I've decided the dutch are extremely practical when it comes to jewellery.
The tiara mabel wore (as what's been discussed on the Royal Jewels of the World and Benelux mbs) is sort of the secondary tiara of the pretty sapphire and diamond tiara. Basically, when the parure was made, they had another base and extra diamonds made to go along with it. That second one is what Mabel wore.

Interesting info, Firewaver. Is this second tiara now "Mabels" tiara in the sense that if there is another occasion at which tiaras are to be worn, this is the tiara Mabel would wear as Laurentien would wear the laurel tiara she wore on her wedding day? (Maxima being in a slighltly elevated position than her sister-in-laws has more tiaras to choose from, I'm sure.)

I would guess so. If it isn't, then something like the ears of wheat tiara would probably be used by her (mabel). I know Laurentein wore the ears of wheat one once, and the laurel leaf a few times.

They will have the same titles (Counts and Countesses), but their rights are not the same. Eloise and Casimir are in line to the throne following Willem and Catharina and their father. But Johan and Mabel's children will not be in such a position. That is the difference.

I know this. However there should have been a distinction regarding the titles of those who are in the line of succession and those who are not.

Originally posted by Alisa@Apr 25th, 2004 - 3:45 pm
I know this. However there should have been a distinction regarding the titles of those who are in the line of succession and those who are not.
I think there is no distinction because Johan and Mabel's children will still be children born to a Dutch Prince, even though that Prince has lost his succession rights. And those children are also still the grandchildren of the reigning Queen.

I think there is no distinction because Johan and Mabel's children will still be children born to a Dutch Prince, even though that Prince has lost his succession rights. And those children are also still the grandchildren of the reigning Queen.

There is should be a distinction. When Princesses Irene and Christina married, they too like Prince Friso lost their rights to succession, but unlike Friso their children were not titled, even when they were the grandchildren of the reigning Queen.

Does anyone have a good picture of Mabel's engagement ring, or any other jewellery she's worn? Thanks!

ahh, I have to disagree with you on the star tiara vs. mabel's. But I do agree Mabel's was lovely. Thanks for the links!

I too like Mabel's tiara, but I like Maxima's Star one better. But I would be willing to take either one!!

As far as their children having titles and the Princess's not when they lost dynastic rights is the royal title comes from the father not the mother. Children of female royals generally tend not to have titles as titles are passed through the male line only.

I still can't see an up close of mabels ring. Can someone describe it?

ok, not having any luck on the ring picture. If someone could enlarge the ones on the royal website, that would be very nice.

What did everyone think of Mabel's earrings? I loved how they matched the tiara so well. They look like they were almost a part of it (an extra strand). Very pretty, and very huge!

Originally posted by Fireweaver@Apr 26th, 2004 - 11:21 am
ahh, I have to disagree with you on the star tiara vs. mabel's. But I do agree Mabel's was lovely. Thanks for the links!
Me too! The star tiara that Maxima wore on her wedding and the one that Clotilde wore on hers are my favorites. I absolutely adored the star tiara. Mabel's was lovely as well, but Maxima definitely gets my vote. I also think that both women chose fantastic earrings to go with their tiaras. Mabel's earrings were just a perfect match.

Originally posted by Fireweaver@Apr 26th, 2004 - 8:45 pm
ok, not having any luck on the ring picture. If someone could enlarge the ones on the royal website, that would be very nice.

What did everyone think of Mabel's earrings? I loved how they matched the tiara so well. They look like they were almost a part of it (an extra strand). Very pretty, and very huge!
i reposted the link i had posted ealier on page 1 about the engagement rign and the earrings. the picture is not perfect, but you get an idea. looks like a band covered with small leave-like diamonds.

May I just ask, does Princess Laurentine has a tiara??
I've never seen a picture of her in her white wedding gown. I really want to see her tiara. Also Princess Laurentine don't seem to have ever wore a sash since she and her other sisters-in-law apart from Maxima, have not elevated to royal or aristocratic through marriage.

Wrong thread

Poppy said:
May I just ask, does Princess Laurentine has a tiara??
I've never seen a picture of her in her white wedding gown. I really want to see her tiara. Also Princess Laurentine don't seem to have ever wore a sash since she and her other sisters-in-law apart from Maxima, have not elevated to royal or aristocratic through marriage.
Try looking at the Lauretien thread :)

Bubbette said:
She's not a princess, correct?
Who?, Mabel?, mabel is Princess of Orange-Nassau, and not a princess of the netherlands.
But her wedding tiara is really beautiful. I never saw something like that. In some way the stones look like pieces of glas. Either way, the tiara is much better than the dress.

many photos did not show up so here is her wedding tiara

Attachments

• 111.jpg
    111.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 3,910
I have always been thinking that the wedding diademe of Mabel was just an empty frame-setting on wich they put some diamonds for that occasion. But are the diamonds used in the Mabel diademe really placed later again into the sapphire tiara???

Yes, Mabel's tiara came from the diamond and sapphire tiara Queen Beatrix wears.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom