Princess Grace Jewellery

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Julia

Royal Highness
Ok, one photo is very small and you can barely see what appears to be a tiara on Princess Grace's head. If it is I am wondering if it was borrowed or owned by the princess.

The second could be one of Grace's fantasy hairstyles. What appears to be something of a fringe tiara could be something else???

I believe I read that the second was loaned, and it's not a tiara, but something threaded through her hair. Don't quote me though, because I can't remember where I heard that.

Her first one: the Bain Societie Tiara...

Platinum, diamonds and cabochon rubies....

Attachments

• GraceBainSocietieTiara.2.jpg
    GraceBainSocietieTiara.2.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 15,507
The Bain Societie Tiara sans the cabochon rubies...

Attachments

• GracePreg.jpg
    GracePreg.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 3,911
Princess Grace wearing the Bain Societie Tiara later in life...

Attachments

• GraceTiara.jpg
    GraceTiara.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 4,112
Princess Grace wearing the Serre-Chignon Tiara at the Shah of Iran's Coronation....

For more information on the unusal tiara check-out Danjel's site. He has a brilliant section on the jewels of Monaco...

Attachments

• GraceIran.2.jpg
    GraceIran.2.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 2,145
Princess Grace wearing the Small Diamond Tiara (Van Cleef & Arpels)

Attachments

• GraceBirdcage.jpg
    GraceBirdcage.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 2,137
1978 tiara

i think this is a picture of the tiara Grace wore to Pr. Caroline's first wedding.

Attachments

• PrGrace78tiara.jpg
    PrGrace78tiara.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 8,778
Lets do something for this topic? A nice pic from a wonderful parude.

Attachments

• C.JPG
    C.JPG
    49 KB · Views: 1,379
Some pics...

Attachments

• 58[1].jpg
    58[1].jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 7,467
  • grace[1].1.JPG
    grace[1].1.JPG
    5.8 KB · Views: 3,874
reynard said:
i think this is a picture of the tiara Grace wore to Pr. Caroline's first wedding.

What happened to this tiara? Did Cartier only lend it once to her or did she buy it? Did they sell it later?

If I'm not mistaken, she only wore it on that ocassion.

I'm suprised that Grace wasn't given larger tiara's, she only wore that very small diamond tiara that you can't even see (what's the point?!) and the small Bain Societie tiara which is not even very pretty. Ranier had the money to buy her a big tiara, I wonder why he didn't? She sure would have looked stunning in one.

The tiara was a necklace converted on a frame. It was from Cartier and belongs to Princess Caroline now, who wears it only as a necklace.

Some now were all this jewels gona stop? i don't see any Grimaldi womem wera them .

This is the pearl and diamond set Rainier bought for Grace in 1955. It was made by Van Cleef & Arpels. It was the first that was given to princess Grace, and it hasn't been worn since her death.

(point de vue)

Grace did not wear tiaras very often, preferring to put jewels in her elaborate hairstyles instead. She did receive many beautiful diamonds, rubies and sapphires from Rainier throughout their marriage, but often liked to wear her favorite pieces over and over again.

After her death, Princess Caroline inherited all of Grace's jewels, including Princess Charlotte's pearl and diamond tiara and diamond necklace, which Grace only wore once after her mother-in-law's death. She lends pieces to Stephanie from time to time as well.

Do you have a picture of Grace wearing the pearl and diamond tiara? I would love to see it I think she would look stunning!

There is an excellent website http://www.mag-nolia.tmfweb.ml/ which has a section on Princess Grace's jewels. She owns four very small tiaras - the small diamond tiara bought from Van Cleef & Arpels, the Serre Chignon tiara given to her on her wedding, the Bain du Mer tiara (also a wedding gift) with the cabuchon rubies and another one which she can wear in three different ways. I thought she also owned one consisting of rubies which can also be worn as a necklace. But according to the website this was loaned.
From the thread on Princess Caroline's jewellery, I learned that Princess Charlotte did not allow Grace to wear her two tiaras but bequethed them directly to Caroline. The 1978 tiara (post 14) was bought from Van Cleef & Arpels for Caroline's wedding festivities but sold (reportedly back to Van Cleef) immediately after.

Last edited:
Fabulous pictures, Amy. :)

They truly show what a stunningly beautiful woman Grace was in her time.

Thanks Sister Morphine,

I agree with you completely, Grace has always been my favorite old movie star. Everyone is always hyped up on Audrey Hepburn or Katherine Hepburn or Lana Turner. But I'm flabergasted to see how many people don't mention Grace Kelly. I mean she's a great actress (hello! she won an oscar) and she's strikingly beautiful beyond words and she became royalty. To me she can play the movie star or the princess and it doesn't matter, she does them both very well. I think even today Grace doesn't get as much credit as she should.

PS Fashionspot.com has some really great pictures of Grace, some I've never seen before, I'll try to post them in the Grace pictures section soon.:flowers:

LOSSEAN said:
From the thread on Princess Caroline's jewellery, I learned that Princess Charlotte did not allow Grace to wear her two tiaras but bequethed them directly to Caroline. The 1978 tiara (post 14) was bought from Van Cleef & Arpels for Caroline's wedding festivities but sold (reportedly back to Van Cleef) immediately after.

Princess Charlotte left nothing to her grandchildren. Everything went to Rainier and Antoinette, but Rainier purchased his sister's share of their mother's French estate to keep it for his family. Charlotte's jewels were left to Rainier.

The 1978 "tiara" was a diamond necklace on a frame and was purchased for Grace by Rainier a number of years before. Grace rarely wore it and Caroline has been photographed wearing it many times since her mother's death as a necklace.

branchg said:
Princess Charlotte left nothing to her grandchildren. Everything went to Rainier and Antoinette, but Rainier purchased his sister's share of their mother's French estate to keep it for his family. Charlotte's jewels were left to Rainier.

The 1978 "tiara" was a diamond necklace on a frame and was purchased for Grace by Rainier a number of years before. Grace rarely wore it and Caroline has been photographed wearing it many times since her mother's death as a necklace.

I am afraid the facts do not support what you say. In the Princess Caroline Jewellery thread, posts #26, #27, #28, #32 all say the contrary. There is another German site www.royal-magazin.de which elaborates on the facts.
The two tiaras that belonged to Princess Charlotte and now worn by Caroline are the:
1. Cartier tiara of scrolling diamond arches and swinging pearl drops which was a gift to the Princess from her bridegroom Prince Pierre de Polignac when they married in 1920.
2. the fringe 'Tiara Russe' and in the website Princess Charlotte wears it as a bandeau. Princess Caroline wears it as a necklace.
Grace's 1978 tiara is altogether different and it is very obvious from the close-ups of these tiaras.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom