Princess Grace Jewellery

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is such a beautiful suite and not too overtly showy so that it is able to be worn for daytime engagements. Good to see Caroline wearing her mother’s jewels.

One of the finest pieces in the House of Grimaldi jewel chest pity the jewels of Princess Grace are more museum pieces than actually worn.

Evidence that Pss. Grace's small, 5-loop, diamond tiara was a lifetime loan from Chaumet?:
Chaumet's huge exhibition in the Forbidden City a year or two ago is viewable by virtual tour, online. Multiple historically significant tiaras were included, including some whose current owners are unknown or not clear (like the Bessborough tiara). In the virtual tour, you can zoom in on the museum placards for various pieces to see tiaras' current provenance. Many of the placards are in Chinese, which unfortunately I cannot read. From what I can make out for some though, some --like the Bessborough tiara, the Ruby Calabria tiara, and it very possibly it seems Princess Grace's 5 loop diamond Chaumet tiara!-- seem to be owned by the house of Chaumet now. Why do I think this much, despite not being able to read Chinese? The description plaques for each of there tiaras -- and other tiaras on display that we KNOW belong to Chaumet -- all say 'CHAUMET' on the very bottom line (and from the select objects in the exhibit also containing an English description, we know that the bottom line is used to convey the current owner). Moreover, the placards of the tiaras on display with known current whereabouts/provenance, like the Bedford Tiara and the Tavistock Tiara, do NOT say 'Chaumet' on the bottom line. To see what I mean, go to the virtual tour and see the following: view o43 (Bedford and Tavistock tiaras), view 047 (Princess Grace tiara), view 048 (Bessborough tiara), view 049 (Calabria Ruby tiara). (Note though: if my theory is correct, it means that the Chaumet Pansy tiara (view 043) is no longer only a loan to Chaumet from the Honorable John Hastings-Bell, but more formally owned by the jewelry house now.)
Could it be that Princess Grace never in fact owned the 5-loop, all-diamond tiara that she is synonymous with, but in fact a lifetime loan? We know that Grace made heavy use of loans. And because Pss Grace was still alive when Pss Caroline first married, that Princess Caroline wore the tiara to the prewedding ball does not conflict with this theory. And it would explain why the tiara has not been worn since Grace died.
Thoughts?

Very interesting detective work. I think the conclusion you draw is a valid one though of course we will never know for certain. What does that leave the House of Grimaldi with in terms of tiaras? I find it extraordinary that there were /are few in the family given the richness in other jewels.

Very interesting detective work. I think the conclusion you draw is a valid one though of course we will never know for certain. What does that leave the House of Grimaldi with in terms of tiaras? I find it extraordinary that there were /are few in the family given the richness in other jewels.

Not so extraordinary as Monaco has almost no events in which diadems are required. For the rare events, the princely House has enough in the cassettes, let us say.

During the reign of the late Prince Rainier III there were far more tiara events ,it seems to have discontinued after the death of Princess Grace and now that the current Princess consort is a reluctant one I don't hold out much hope of a revival.

Gorgeous! It doesn't seem like we see much of her collection.

LaRae

Wonderful to see this necklace being worn again by a member of the Princely Family.

I hope another jewel from Princess Grace for the Decruet Wedding (. Princess Stephanie 's heirloom.)

Great to see Charlotte dipping into the collection. That necklace fits perfectly with her dress.

Yes, i think she wore in 1978 at the ball before her wedding… I'll try to find a pic for you...

Try this vídeo at about min 18...

[

No that was a different necklace.

Princess Charlotte, Duchess of Valentinois really had some impressive jewels and such a pity that Princess Grace never got to wear them.

Its such a pity it has never been worn since the death of Princes Grace,hopefully we will see it one day on Princess Gabriella.

Back
Top Bottom