The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-24-2013, 01:46 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew 24 View Post
NGalitzine you are talking about diamond and ruby Bains de Mer tiara. It was a wedding gift from Societe des Bains de Mer. It may be wear in three ways: tiara, necklance and three separate broches. Currently it belongs to Princess Caroline, who used to wear it only as a brooches.
No that is not the one I was talking about.
I was asking about a small all daimond tiara Grace wore to the opera gala the night after her civil marriage ceremony, and wore on many occassions in the late 50s and early 60s. It was a present from Rainier.

Old 05-24-2013, 01:50 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariel View Post
Incredibly photogenic in those Tumblr images. Prince Rainier was handsome too.
I love the flat shoes she wore, which is what a pregnant woman ought to wear, and it didn't harm her looks at all. Real beauty does not need high heels while pregnant.
It is an anachronism to put those two things together.
Not that heels have anything at all to do with jewels, but pregnant or not isnt it more a decison of the individual woman to make depending on what she is comfortable wearing rather than some hard and fast rule that pregnant women must wear flats.

Old 05-24-2013, 04:34 AM
Gentry

NGalitzine to the opera gala the night after her civil marriage ceremony Princess Grace wore Bains de Mer tiara you can still find photos of Princess getting off a limousine outside the opera.
You probably are talking about her favourite small diamond tiara which she used to wear very often during her "royal life". It must end in hands of Princess Caroline as the rest of Pcs Grace jewellery collection.
Old 05-24-2013, 02:49 PM
Heir Apparent

I am sorry but you are mistaken. The SBM tiara has rubies and Grace did not wear rubies that night. It was a small, simple diamond tiara. I suppose it is with Caroline unless it has been sold off. Doesn't really matter, I was just wondering if it still existed since even Grace does not seem to have worn it in her later years preferring larger usually borrowed pieces from VC&A.

I think it is pretty clear from the wedding movie @ about 4:27 she is wearing a small diamond tiara and not the SBM rubies.
Old 05-24-2013, 05:08 PM
Royal Highness

The quality of the film is rather blurry, but after looking at some stills, I am quite convinced that she wore the ruby tiara.
It's also quite interesting that Princess Charlotte can be seen wearing her Cartier pearl tiara.
Old 05-24-2013, 05:57 PM
Heir Apparent

Well in Judith Balaban Quine's book The Bridesmaids she describes the tiara as " a tiara whose band, arched points and entire frame were made of exquisite diamonds", no mention of rubies at all. This is a perfect description of Graces small diamond tiara. If it had been the SBM tiara I am pretty sure her own bridesmaid would have mentioned the rubies since she also described in detail Graces diamond necklace, bracelets, gown, gloves, white mink stole, hairstyle, bouquet and Order of St Charles. Also the shape of the SBM is quite different than the small diamond tiara.

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone actually knew where the tiara is today and the answer is apparently no ones knows for sure if the family still have it or if it was sold off.
Old 05-25-2013, 05:33 AM
Royal Highness

Sorry, I just jumped on the question which tiara she wore, and simple forgot about your original question. But you are quite right: no one really knows for sure. Afaik there have never been rumours about a sale of Grace’s private jewellery.
On the net it is often repeated that Caroline inherited it. I guess that is because she has worn more of her mother’s pieces than Stephanie. On the other hand there have been many expositions of jewels where Prince Albert was mentioned as the owner, not Caroline.
From the pictures I have seen, I don’t think that Princess Grace’s small tiara with the five diamond arches has been included in these exhibitions. So one can simply hope that it is still in the family.

The report of the bridesmaid is quite intriguing. On the below screen shots from the video one clearly sees that the tiara has three elements, or arches. The outline looks exactly like the SBM ruby tiara, although there is no red visible. Grace’s small diamond tiara had five arches and looks quite different.
Are the rubies removable? Maybe she wore the SBM tiara without rubies?
Old 05-25-2013, 06:17 AM
Gentry

She definitly wore SBM diamond ruby tiara, at black and white photos you would be able to see darker stones "inside" the arches.
Old 09-14-2013, 06:48 AM
Royal Highness

Scroll down for a lovely photo of Grace and Rainier " window shopping" at Cartiers as well as some close ups of several key pieces of jewellery.
Daily Mail
Old 09-14-2013, 11:45 AM
Heir Apparent

"Well, Rainier, I'll take that one and that one, and, oh, let's not forget about that one as well!"
Old 09-14-2013, 06:28 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elly C View Post
Scroll down for a lovely photo of Grace and Rainier " window shopping" at Cartiers as well as some close ups of several key pieces of jewellery.
Daily Mail
The sparkling engagement ring 'caught' my eye
Old 09-15-2013, 04:24 PM
Heir Apparent

Nothing like a classic engagement ring, albeit several carats more than we mere mortals would get!
Old 09-15-2013, 05:20 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books View Post
Nothing like a classic engagement ring, albeit several carats more than we mere mortals would get!
Ha,ha and that engagement ring really is a royal rock!
Old 03-29-2014, 08:44 PM
Gentry

So far I've only cover three of Princess Grace's tiaras and I ended up with more questions then answers.
Bains de Mer Tiara
Diamond Tiara
Van Cleef & Arpels Diamond Tiara

Tags
grace, grace kelly, jewellery, princess grace