Princess Grace Jewellery

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thank you for the link - would anyone be able to scan some shots from the supplement please.

A recreation of Grace's engagement ring has been made for the forthcoming film ( with the permission of the Palace)

Telegraph

I'd never noticed Princess Grace's engagement ring before nor had I ever seen a photo of it,I wondered what happened to it?

Last edited by a moderator:
What ever happened to the small diamond tiara that Rainier gave Grace when they first married, the one she wore at the opera gala the evening after the civil marriage.

NGalitzine you are talking about diamond and ruby Bains de Mer tiara. It was a wedding gift from Societe des Bains de Mer. It may be wear in three ways: tiara, necklance and three separate broches. Currently it belongs to Princess Caroline, who used to wear it only as a brooches.

You can find it on this great tumblr Grace & Family
Thank you for those great images. Not a stitch of make up, no high heels, and she was gorgeous and they both seem so happy.

She made all of the jewelry she wore look good, not vice versa which is the usual case.

Incredibly photogenic in those Tumblr images. Prince Rainier was handsome too.
I love the flat shoes she wore, which is what a pregnant woman ought to wear, and it didn't harm her looks at all. Real beauty does not need high heels while pregnant.
It is an anachronism to put those two things together.

NGalitzine you are talking about diamond and ruby Bains de Mer tiara. It was a wedding gift from Societe des Bains de Mer. It may be wear in three ways: tiara, necklance and three separate broches. Currently it belongs to Princess Caroline, who used to wear it only as a brooches.

No that is not the one I was talking about.
I was asking about a small all daimond tiara Grace wore to the opera gala the night after her civil marriage ceremony, and wore on many occassions in the late 50s and early 60s. It was a present from Rainier.

Incredibly photogenic in those Tumblr images. Prince Rainier was handsome too.
I love the flat shoes she wore, which is what a pregnant woman ought to wear, and it didn't harm her looks at all. Real beauty does not need high heels while pregnant.
It is an anachronism to put those two things together.

Not that heels have anything at all to do with jewels, but pregnant or not isnt it more a decison of the individual woman to make depending on what she is comfortable wearing rather than some hard and fast rule that pregnant women must wear flats.

NGalitzine to the opera gala the night after her civil marriage ceremony Princess Grace wore Bains de Mer tiara you can still find photos of Princess getting off a limousine outside the opera.
You probably are talking about her favourite small diamond tiara which she used to wear very often during her "royal life". It must end in hands of Princess Caroline as the rest of Pcs Grace jewellery collection.

I am sorry but you are mistaken. The SBM tiara has rubies and Grace did not wear rubies that night. It was a small, simple diamond tiara. I suppose it is with Caroline unless it has been sold off. Doesn't really matter, I was just wondering if it still existed since even Grace does not seem to have worn it in her later years preferring larger usually borrowed pieces from VC&A.

I think it is pretty clear from the wedding movie @ about 4:27 she is wearing a small diamond tiara and not the SBM rubies.
THE WEDDING IN MONACO (Part 2) - YouTube

Last edited:
The quality of the film is rather blurry, but after looking at some stills, I am quite convinced that she wore the ruby tiara.
It's also quite interesting that Princess Charlotte can be seen wearing her Cartier pearl tiara.

Well in Judith Balaban Quine's book The Bridesmaids she describes the tiara as " a tiara whose band, arched points and entire frame were made of exquisite diamonds", no mention of rubies at all. This is a perfect description of Graces small diamond tiara. If it had been the SBM tiara I am pretty sure her own bridesmaid would have mentioned the rubies since she also described in detail Graces diamond necklace, bracelets, gown, gloves, white mink stole, hairstyle, bouquet and Order of St Charles. Also the shape of the SBM is quite different than the small diamond tiara.

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone actually knew where the tiara is today and the answer is apparently no ones knows for sure if the family still have it or if it was sold off.

Last edited:
Sorry, I just jumped on the question which tiara she wore, and simple forgot about your original question. But you are quite right: no one really knows for sure. Afaik there have never been rumours about a sale of Grace’s private jewellery.
On the net it is often repeated that Caroline inherited it. I guess that is because she has worn more of her mother’s pieces than Stephanie. On the other hand there have been many expositions of jewels where Prince Albert was mentioned as the owner, not Caroline.
From the pictures I have seen, I don’t think that Princess Grace’s small tiara with the five diamond arches has been included in these exhibitions. So one can simply hope that it is still in the family.

The report of the bridesmaid is quite intriguing. On the below screen shots from the video one clearly sees that the tiara has three elements, or arches. The outline looks exactly like the SBM ruby tiara, although there is no red visible. Grace’s small diamond tiara had five arches and looks quite different.
Are the rubies removable? Maybe she wore the SBM tiara without rubies?

Last edited by a moderator:
She definitly wore SBM diamond ruby tiara, at black and white photos you would be able to see darker stones "inside" the arches.

Scroll down for a lovely photo of Grace and Rainier " window shopping" at Cartiers as well as some close ups of several key pieces of jewellery.
Daily Mail

"Well, Rainier, I'll take that one and that one, and, oh, let's not forget about that one as well!" :D

Last edited:
Scroll down for a lovely photo of Grace and Rainier " window shopping" at Cartiers as well as some close ups of several key pieces of jewellery.
Daily Mail

The sparkling engagement ring 'caught' my eye ;)

Nothing like a classic engagement ring, albeit several carats more than we mere mortals would get!

I came across this gallery of photos of Princess Grace and was intrigued by her headress/tiara in a couple of the images. Grace was known for the way she chose to wear jewels in her elaborate hairstyles - does anyone have any idea about what she is wearing here - it reminds me of a picture I have seen for a different occasion in which she is wearing a similar headpiece, but I can't quite place it.

desmond o'neill features
pic

I wonder if we'll ever see any of the above worn again by a Princess of Monaco?
Not the Van Cleef & Arpels Diamond Tiara, because this one was never owned by Princess Grace. She loaned it for only one event.

The other two? There is a very small chance. It just seems that the Grimaldis don't care much for heirloom jewels. But from the exhibitions we know that the Diamond tiara and the Bains de Mer tiara are still with them. Imo they would both look very nice on Charlene.

Regarding my earlier post (175) about Princess Grace's mysterious head wear - If you scroll down to the section on Grace's tiaras there is the pic which I remembered seeing, but I don't think it is the same piece.

pic

I came across this gallery of photos of Princess Grace and was intrigued by her headress/tiara in a couple of the images. Grace was known for the way she chose to wear jewels in her elaborate hairstyles - does anyone have any idea about what she is wearing here - it reminds me of a picture I have seen for a different occasion in which she is wearing a similar headpiece, but I can't quite place it.

desmond o'neill features
pic

I've never seen a photo of Grace in that Gold Crown (it's what it looks like to me, goodness knows what it actually is) at any other event, but Grace photos are quite few and far between.

But from the exhibitions we know that the Diamond tiara and the Bains de Mer tiara are still with them. Imo they would both look very nice on Charlene.

That's exactly what I was thinking Tilla C.

Back
Top Bottom