The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-25-2006, 02:39 PM
Heir Presumptive

This is the pearl and diamond set Rainier bought for Grace in 1955. It was made by Van Cleef & Arpels. It was the first that was given to princess Grace, and it hasn't been worn since her death.

(point de vue)

Old 02-27-2006, 05:21 PM
Heir Presumptive

Grace did not wear tiaras very often, preferring to put jewels in her elaborate hairstyles instead. She did receive many beautiful diamonds, rubies and sapphires from Rainier throughout their marriage, but often liked to wear her favorite pieces over and over again.

After her death, Princess Caroline inherited all of Grace's jewels, including Princess Charlotte's pearl and diamond tiara and diamond necklace, which Grace only wore once after her mother-in-law's death. She lends pieces to Stephanie from time to time as well.

Old 02-28-2006, 06:33 PM
Courtier

Do you have a picture of Grace wearing the pearl and diamond tiara? I would love to see it I think she would look stunning!
Old 08-03-2006, 12:49 AM
Nobility

There is an excellent website http://www.mag-nolia.tmfweb.ml/ which has a section on Princess Grace's jewels. She owns four very small tiaras - the small diamond tiara bought from Van Cleef & Arpels, the Serre Chignon tiara given to her on her wedding, the Bain du Mer tiara (also a wedding gift) with the cabuchon rubies and another one which she can wear in three different ways. I thought she also owned one consisting of rubies which can also be worn as a necklace. But according to the website this was loaned.
From the thread on Princess Caroline's jewellery, I learned that Princess Charlotte did not allow Grace to wear her two tiaras but bequethed them directly to Caroline. The 1978 tiara (post 14) was bought from Van Cleef & Arpels for Caroline's wedding festivities but sold (reportedly back to Van Cleef) immediately after.
Old 09-08-2006, 07:59 PM
Courtier

Here are the two pictures of Grace's engagement ring and a fringe tiara and necklace one more time.

source: thefashionspot.com

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l1...ngr/Grace2.jpg

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l1...ngr/Grace1.jpg
Old 09-08-2006, 08:42 PM
Heir Presumptive

Fabulous pictures, Amy. :)

They truly show what a stunningly beautiful woman Grace was in her time.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 09-09-2006, 02:16 AM
Courtier

Thanks Sister Morphine,

I agree with you completely, Grace has always been my favorite old movie star. Everyone is always hyped up on Audrey Hepburn or Katherine Hepburn or Lana Turner. But I'm flabergasted to see how many people don't mention Grace Kelly. I mean she's a great actress (hello! she won an oscar) and she's strikingly beautiful beyond words and she became royalty. To me she can play the movie star or the princess and it doesn't matter, she does them both very well. I think even today Grace doesn't get as much credit as she should.

PS Fashionspot.com has some really great pictures of Grace, some I've never seen before, I'll try to post them in the Grace pictures section soon.
Old 09-09-2006, 10:35 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOSSEAN
From the thread on Princess Caroline's jewellery, I learned that Princess Charlotte did not allow Grace to wear her two tiaras but bequethed them directly to Caroline. The 1978 tiara (post 14) was bought from Van Cleef & Arpels for Caroline's wedding festivities but sold (reportedly back to Van Cleef) immediately after.
Princess Charlotte left nothing to her grandchildren. Everything went to Rainier and Antoinette, but Rainier purchased his sister's share of their mother's French estate to keep it for his family. Charlotte's jewels were left to Rainier.

The 1978 "tiara" was a diamond necklace on a frame and was purchased for Grace by Rainier a number of years before. Grace rarely wore it and Caroline has been photographed wearing it many times since her mother's death as a necklace.
Old 09-11-2006, 08:45 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHAmy
Here are the two pictures of Grace's engagement ring and a fringe tiara and necklace one more time.

source: thefashionspot.com

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l1...ngr/Grace2.jpg

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l1...ngr/Grace1.jpg
This is it! The tiara that can be worn in three dimunitive ways - one way is with a middle hump as above, another way looks like a scroll tiara and there is a third way too.
Old 09-11-2006, 08:58 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by branchg
Princess Charlotte left nothing to her grandchildren. Everything went to Rainier and Antoinette, but Rainier purchased his sister's share of their mother's French estate to keep it for his family. Charlotte's jewels were left to Rainier.

The 1978 "tiara" was a diamond necklace on a frame and was purchased for Grace by Rainier a number of years before. Grace rarely wore it and Caroline has been photographed wearing it many times since her mother's death as a necklace.
I am afraid the facts do not support what you say. In the Princess Caroline Jewellery thread, posts #26, #27, #28, #32 all say the contrary. There is another German site www.royal-magazin.de which elaborates on the facts.
The two tiaras that belonged to Princess Charlotte and now worn by Caroline are the:
1. Cartier tiara of scrolling diamond arches and swinging pearl drops which was a gift to the Princess from her bridegroom Prince Pierre de Polignac when they married in 1920.
2. the fringe 'Tiara Russe' and in the website Princess Charlotte wears it as a bandeau. Princess Caroline wears it as a necklace.
Grace's 1978 tiara is altogether different and it is very obvious from the close-ups of these tiaras.
Old 09-12-2006, 02:45 AM
Courtier

Does anyone have a picture of the 1978 tiara? I don't think I've ever seen it before. Thanks!
Old 09-12-2006, 04:01 PM
Nobility

The picture is on post #12 of this same thread. I am sorry. I do not know how to put in the link.
Old 09-12-2006, 04:03 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Does anyone have a picture of the 1978 tiara? I don't think I've ever seen it before. Thanks!

This post has an attachment of the tiara.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 09-12-2006, 05:26 PM
Courtier

Oh, thank you guys very much I didn't know that was the one she wore. It's very beautiful. I wish Caroline would wear it as a tiara but I guess he has enough Hannover tiara's now.
Old 09-12-2006, 08:58 PM
Courtier

I found a few more pictures of Grace's jewelry at thefashionspot.com, some of these I have never seen before.

1. I've never seen Grace wear this necklace before, I'm not sure if this is part of her royals jewels or not.
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l1...ngr/grace3.jpg

2. I also haven't seen Grace wear these earrings before either.
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l1...ngr/grace4.jpg

3. This is a very intersting ring, it's looks like the cartier crossover band, I'm not sure if Ranier gave this to her or not.
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l1...ngr/grace5.jpg

4. I've never seen these earrings on Grace, but I do recall the necklace :)
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l1...ngr/grace6.jpg

5. I believe these are the earrings from the pearl and diamond (Van cleef and Arpels) set Ranier gave to Grace early on in their marriage but I can't be sure.
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l1...ngr/grace7.jpg

If anyone has anymore info about these jewels I'd love to hear from you, some of them are complete mysteries to me since I've never seen them before, I'd love to hear the history behind them.
Old 09-12-2006, 10:02 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Oh, thank you guys very much I didn't know that was the one she wore. It's very beautiful. I wish Caroline would wear it as a tiara but I guess he has enough Hannover tiara's now.
You're welcome. And Yes! Caroline now has access to some very beautiful Hanover tiaras which are also on the website www.royal-magazin.de with their history.
Old 05-20-2007, 01:11 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
I found a few more pictures of Grace's jewelry at thefashionspot.com, some of these I have never seen before.

1. I've never seen Grace wear this necklace before, I'm not sure if this is part of her royals jewels or not.
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l1...ngr/grace3.jpg

If anyone has anymore info about these jewels I'd love to hear from you, some of them are complete mysteries to me since I've never seen them before, I'd love to hear the history behind them.
I just read your post and the one above is a photo from the movie To Catch a Thief.
Old 05-20-2007, 01:47 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyMacAlpine
I just read your post and the one above is a photo from the movie To Catch a Thief.
Her eyes are on John Robie; his eyes are on the necklace. Tough call: Grace or the diamonds?
Old 05-20-2007, 03:13 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren
Her eyes are on John Robie; his eyes are on the necklace. Tough call: Grace or the diamonds?
Cary Grant. :sigh:
Old 07-24-2007, 06:52 PM
Heir Apparent

I always heard that Caroline inherited her grandmothers jewels because Charlotte was "not fond" of Grace, so I am curious why the diamond and pearl drop tiara would be on display at the Princess Grace exhibition. I don't think she ever wore it herself.
What ever happened to the Van Cleef & Arpel ruby tiara? I thought it was beautiful.
Are there any family jewels left for a future Princess Consort of Monaco or will Albert have to buy some appropriate gems?

Tags
grace, grace kelly, jewellery, princess grace